[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

And speaking of cards JUST reprinted in Commander precons.

1595875428561.png

A cheap uncommon upshifted to rare. COOL.

1595881303142.png

Last edited:

Zappit

Staff member
Well, Commander Legends looked like a fun set with a lot of interesting cards.

Then this happened.

9EF7ACEC-AFE6-444F-9492-5D8AFC4024CA.png

I mean, I have two boxes preordered, so the odds I’ll pull one is decent, but Commander did not need this card.

Zappit

Staff member
25F77F96-8B8C-4E90-B41B-781B28C7E35D.jpeg

Never bought collector’s packs before. Pretty excited to get this pait today. Caught Amazon’s pricing algorithm at a low point and got lucky. I’ll open them later and share the results.

Update:
F1C0F4CF-91D1-403B-A862-0E926AD57B9C.jpeg

Not bad. The etched Ramos is pretty nice - non of the big chase cards, though.

Last edited:

Zappit

Staff member
I cracked a box of Commander Legends today, and I did okay. I pulled a Mana Drain and two Opposition Agents - one of which was foil. Got the value of the box back on those three cards.

I did not get very many rare Legendaries in the two Legendaries slots in the packs, though.

HHhhhooollllly crap

This guy is the actual person I talk about that I could've been if I still had most of the cards I ever had. I still have a crapton, but most of the really good ones were sold off years ago. My friends got me started in the days just after Legends was sold out, so it was RV for me. There was a shop in the strip where I worked at a restaurant. Usually every day I'd stop on my way in & buy 4 boosters for 10 bucks ($2.50/ea back in those days). I remember there was a conversion chart of what RV card replaced what oop UL card on the print sheets & the number of Moxes (Moxen?) I would've had was insane.

Still managed to buy the occasional oop card as singles & work some trades. At one time I owned a beta Black Lotus (/sigh) but that was traded for a UL lotus which was eventually sold off in 1995ish as part of my new PC fund. I've owned every single power 9 at one time, quite a few of those as betas.

Now as I said I still have a crapton of cards, highlights being a bunch of dual lands, an AN Guardian Beast & Bazaar of Baghdad. I would get out & they would keep pulling me back in! SO as a result my collection has waves. RV-AL, then Mirage block, then Urza's block, back again for Mirrodin, and again for Mirrodin Beseiged. But I've been clean for 7 years now. Have been trying to catalog my collection using deckbox, but keep getting sidetracked. Deckbox value says $10K so far & haven't even gotten to the playdecks yet.

But THIS guy... 3X LG sets?!? 3X AN?! 3X AQ?!! $140K & apparently financially secure to just give it away...

I'm betting he had full playsets of the whole sets and just kept one for his collection.

But yeah, giving up a whole Beta set and 3 of each Legends, Antiquities and Arabian Nights is fucking bonkeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrsz.

So, I'm bumping this because I'm sadly, forcibly done with Magic. I sold my entire collection over the last couple of months to fund life. Bit of a bummer, but whatcha gonna do. At least I got in while the iron was hot and card prices are beyond fucking insane. I still can't believe I got multiple hundreds of dollars for 2 NM Gilded Drakes, cards I bought like 7-8 years ago for like 10 bucks each and it was like pulling teeth at the point. Spending more than 10 dollars a card was fucking folly for me. The Reserve List is bullshit.

Also, there's some controversy with the new set, a prolific artist was caught plagiarizing an unknown artist and fucking Raymond Swanland (one of the MOST prolific Magic artists). How this dipshit thought he would get away with this without anyone noticing is insane to me. Of course, he's also all in on NFTs. BIG SHOCK there.

So, I'm bumping this because I'm sadly, forcibly done with Magic. I sold my entire collection over the last couple of months to fund life. Bit of a bummer, but whatcha gonna do. At least I got in while the iron was hot and card prices are beyond fucking insane. I still can't believe I got multiple hundreds of dollars for 2 NM Gilded Drakes, cards I bought like 7-8 years ago for like 10 bucks each and it was like pulling teeth at the point. Spending more than 10 dollars a card was fucking folly for me. The Reserve List is bullshit.

Also, there's some controversy with the new set, a prolific artist was caught plagiarizing an unknown artist and fucking Raymond Swanland (one of the MOST prolific Magic artists). How this dipshit thought he would get away with this without anyone noticing is insane to me. Of course, he's also all in on NFTs. BIG SHOCK there.
There's always online play through things like cockatrice, or proxies. You can print and cut a 100 card Commander deck on quality card stock at most print shops for about $10 USD, and there are websites that will give you print sheets with custom art if your print shop is iffy on copyrighted material

Oh for sure. I just meant legit Magic. Actually, my best friend just pilfered a small photo printer from his workplace that prints out very nice looking proxies. We're probably gonna do stuff like that.

My daughter has a "boyfriend" who is into MTG. I only have my blue white denial deck left and apparently it's worth 1000's of dollars!

Massive eyeroll on my part.

That aside, what are the new trends and releases all about these days.

My daughter has a "boyfriend" who is into MTG. I only have my blue white denial deck left and apparently it's worth 1000's of dollars!

Massive eyeroll on my part.

That aside, what are the new trends and releases all about these days.
You laugh, but if it has stuff like Force of Will or the like in it, it is probably worth a great amount of money.

The new set is Harry Potter-esque wizard school.

Though, I'm gonna call it a flavour fail to make the blue-green school, the Quandrix, the math is magic school of the set, then print a red Prismari (blue-red) card that actually requires you to do FAR more math to use.

1617321188835.png

Sooo...
Spend RR3: Does 5 damage to 1 target.
Spend RR6: Does 10 damage each to 1 or 2 targets.
Spend RR9: Does 15 damage each to 1 or 2 or 3 targets.
And so on.
Presumably also spend RR to do 0 damage to 0 targets, but that'd be silly.

--Patrick

Looks like a clear the table multplayer card.

Lets see, deck contains

Sol Ring
Marble Diamond x3
Sky Diamond x3
Ivory Tower
Mana Web
Ashnods Cylix
Horn of Deafening
Cursed Rack
Dark Sphere
Storm Cauldron
Relic Barrier
Jesters Mask
Meekstone
Feldons Cane
Barks Cage
Ankh of Mishra x3
Winter Orb
Sheltered Valley x2
Strip Mine x2
Halls of Mist
Maze of Ith
Mishras Factory
CoP Artefact
Swords to Plowshares x2
Wrath of God
Balance
Armageddon x3
Disenchant x2
Festival x2
Royal Decree
Reparations
Dream Tides x2
Flooded Shorelines
Overburden
Force of Will x3
Arcane Denial x2
Reconstruction
Illusionary Terrain
Energy Vortex
Shimmer
Power Sink
Diminishing Returns
Soul Barrier
Counterspell x4
Mana Vortex
Islands x 11
Plains x 5

I had it split into a side bar but my offspring has opted to remove that.

For a brief moment I read Mishra's Factory as Mishra's Workshop and just about gasped.

But yeah, if everything's in good condition there are some particularly expensive cards in that deck. The Strip Mines are 20 bucks each. Force of Wills are 100 bucks US each.

Commander is a singleton format where the decks are 99 cards with one legendary creature acting as the commander. All cards in the deck must match the colours of the commander. 1 of each card except basic lands. Best played with 4 players.

That's a really big deck. Is 40 60 not standard anymore?
Totally. 40 is still standard for Limited, while 60 is still standard for...Standard, Legacy, Modern, Vintage, Historic, Pioneer, etc, etc.

Commander is just this weird unwieldy monster that has become the most popular format (mostly because it's generally more casual and multiplayer).

I quickly plugged your deck into TCGplayer and got an estimate of about 700 US. So, you know, there you go.

Totally. 40 is still standard for Limited, while 60 is still standard for...Standard, Legacy, Modern, Vintage, Historic, Pioneer, etc, etc.

Commander is just this weird unwieldy monster that has become the most popular format (mostly because it's generally more casual and multiplayer).
I'm guessing those words restrict the sets you can use, is there a website that details all this.

Apparently the "boyfriend" wants my Mana Crypts. I had an old flip a coin only deck that got damaged, so some of the cards are kicking around. It had an Orb of Chaos in it that I traded so my wife and kids could get some Pokemon cards.

I'm guessing those words restrict the sets you can use, is there a website that details all this.

Apparently the "boyfriend" wants my Mana Crypts. I had an old flip a coin only deck that got damaged, so some of the cards are kicking around. It had an Orb of Chaos in it that I traded so my wife and kids could get some Pokemon cards.
Mana crypt runs about $100-$150 right now. Possibly more if it's the old book promo, which I'm assuming it is since you stopped playing before the reprints

Edit: yup old classic border version is about $250

Any recommendations on how one would go about selling their Magic cards? Preferred companies or somesuch. My collection is doing me no good sitting around, haven't played in years. Beyond keeping my 2-3 personal decks, I think the rest can go.

I sold mine locally to the local big ass LGS that has tons of single stock.

I got about 70% of the value I would have if I just sold them piece meal card by card to people wanting single cards, but fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that.

I think the easiest way to make the most money is to take your collection to a bigger game store. If you want less money, but less work in general, you can just send them to a big store like Star City or Card Kingdom or Channel Fireball. If you want the most money, but the most work, sell them on TCGPlayer, but you have to do all the work of shipping singles all over the place.

Yeah, I just want out. But when I do it, it'll probably end up going as one solid lot. You want these good cards? Ok but you're going to have to choke down all my lands and Thallids and Gypsies and other stuff, too.

--Patrick

Appreciate the info, looked at the websites and the Channel Fireball bulk buy sounds interesting (except for commons, of course). I think I'll try and find a spare afternoon this month to see what my rarer cards are worth, and work back from there. Need to sort out any with sentimental value anyway.

Yeah, I just want out. But when I do it, it'll probably end up going as one solid lot. You want these good cards? Ok but you're going to have to choke down all my lands and Thallids and Gypsies and other stuff, too.

--Patrick
That's how my best friend started his collection in college, he bid on some dude's eBay auction for all his cards. After we sifted through thousands of old cards, he ended up making some really fun+strong decks.

I doubt it's worth the shipping on most of my commons/lands, or the gas to a gaming store, unless I'm already going there.