[Gaming] Tragic the Garnering

Yeah, I'm probably going to sell the Sliver and hold onto Ur-Dragon and Reaper King. I already picked up literally every scarecrow because, you know, scarecrows.

That looks like the kind of deck where you win more by creating the largest possible headache for the other player.

--Patrick

Zappit

Staff member
Went in on Bitterblossom, the Golgari set, and the 5-Color Commanders. I’m satisfied.

You guys know we’re getting those special Stained Glass Planeswalkers with these, right?

I’m genuinely excited by the Sliver. It’s my favorite tribe, and I’ve had a regular foiled Sliver Emporer as my Commander for years. I love that deck, even if there’s not a lot of play variety in it.

Zappit

Staff member
Just got my first Secret Lair pack - the Restless in Peace pack.

First off, they did a great job packing it. Box in a box in a box for protection. It’s still...a real lot of packaging. However, the actual product box is very nice, and could hold a couple decks.

The cards were well protected in hard plastic, and the art really looks good. I also got a stained glass art Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, which is currently going for more than the cost of the set itself. I’ve got plans for every one of the cards in that set, so I’m very happy with it.

Just got my first Secret Lair pack - the Restless in Peace pack.

First off, they did a great job packing it. Box in a box in a box for protection. It’s still...a real lot of packaging. However, the actual product box is very nice, and could hold a couple decks.

The cards were well protected in hard plastic, and the art really looks good. I also got a stained glass art Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, which is currently going for more than the cost of the set itself. I’ve got plans for every one of the cards in that set, so I’m very happy with it.
I lucked out and got stained glass teferi, which is currently going for $90

I lucked out and got stained glass teferi, which is currently going for $90
I know without even thinking that I'm going to get a fucking Jiang or something equally lame.

Man, they ship quick for Americans. I just got my tracking confirmation today that my product is even getting shipped out.

I know without even thinking that I'm going to get a fucking Jiang or something equally lame.

Man, they ship quick for Americans. I just got my tracking confirmation today that my product is even getting shipped out.
To be fair, I jumped on literally the moment my bundle went on sale. They said they would be shipped out in order received

According to my tracking, it hasn't even been given to USPS yet. Holy shit.

Considering the shipping to Canada was just under about 12 million dollars, this is pretty disappointing.

Zappit

Staff member
Got my 5 color Commanders set, and got a Ral with it. Meh.

The main event cards themselves are gorgeous. Interestingly enough, mine didn’t start curling right away like some other people experienced. Guess I got lucky.

I’ve also been seeing the MTGO and Arena codes are selling on eBay for pretty much the price of the set itself. (combined). If I did eBay, I could recoup my spending, which is pretty wild.

Got my 5 color Commanders set, and got a Ral with it. Meh.

The main event cards themselves are gorgeous. Interestingly enough, mine didn’t start curling right away like some other people experienced. Guess I got lucky.

I’ve also been seeing the MTGO and Arena codes are selling on eBay for pretty much the price of the set itself. (combined). If I did eBay, I could recoup my spending, which is pretty wild.
So looking at eBay, I see a few people -asking- that much for them, but the ones actually successfully selling are much cheaper. In fact I saw quite a few that bundled all of the codes together for $18

Alright, the deck I've put together to use my secret lair cards is complete.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/whos-that-pokemon-v2/

Everything tribal.
I feel it lacks removal.

My dumb ass deck on the other hand:

https://www.mtgvault.com/fhorrigan/decks/papa-nurgles-gift/

I may have to build something similar to your deck. I'd chuck in a Kindred Dominance and some such like that though.

Got my Secret Lair finally.

My stained-glass planeswalker is Domri. Bit of a bummer. I was really hoping to get a Nikky B just because I'm building my old villains of Magic decks again and he would make a lovely jewel in that deck.

Last edited:
So I'm building Reaper King, and lately I've been avoiding EDHREC because it's way more satisfying to build the decks myself first just going through my own collection and then checking afterwards. Looking at Rite of Replication to go along with Reaper King literally made me cackle out loud.

I'm legit mad at how much of discrepancy there is between how amazing the art is on this card and how bafflingly shit it is.

Zappit

Staff member
There’s a big reanimator mechanic called Escape in the new Theros set. This card is specifically built to combat that. In practically every other format, it’s a turd on a stick.

I could even believe it came from Fallen Empires, except for the fact that the card text does not contain the word “saproling” anywhere.

—Patrick

I mean, it's just another toolbox in the Lab Man, etc combo isn't it? I don't see how it's any more broken, but I'm probably missing something.

I mean, it's just another toolbox in the Lab Man, etc combo isn't it? I don't see how it's any more broken, but I'm probably missing something.
So in very high end play, lab man is one of the most common win conditions. And when Jace, Wielder of Mysteries came out, that was a huge boon to that strategy because it was basically another lab man.

This is functionally a third one, which in a singleton format is huge, but even more than that it is simply -better- than lab man, as lab man requires you to draw with an empty library while he is on the board, and this just has to etb with an empty (or mostly empty) library.

Unlike lab man it's also not a dead card if you are holding it and not trying to go for a win. And in cEDH it can be pulled with flash hulk, making the already strongest and fastest combo even stronger

So, here's me today.

"Oh cool, they're reprinting the enemy fetch lands. That's a good thing. Oh, it's a Secret Lair drop? That sucks. Oh, it's 165 FUCKING DOLLARS AMERICAN MAKING IT LITERALLY FIVE TIMES AS EXPENSIVE AS EVERY OTHER SECRET LAIR? Good thing Wizards doesn't take the secondary market into consideration."

FUCK. OFF.

So, here's me today.

"Oh cool, they're reprinting the enemy fetch lands. That's a good thing. Oh, it's a Secret Lair drop? That sucks. Oh, it's 165 FUCKING DOLLARS AMERICAN MAKING IT LITERALLY FIVE TIMES AS EXPENSIVE AS EVERY OTHER SECRET LAIR? Good thing Wizards doesn't take the secondary market into consideration."

FUCK. OFF.
It gets worse. The $165 was the price of Commander anthologies back when they did MSRP. They said they expect these to sell for just a bit more, and given the demand and lack of msrp these will be $200-$250 easy.

But wait, there's even more worse. All past secret lair drops were online order only and print to demand. These are going to be sold only in LGSes, which is fine, but supply will be limited. How limited? I called around, and it seems like the most an LGS can order is... 10

That is a much better hobby than mine currently, which include being angry at nature and being angry at the government.