Time to ban feminist

GasBandit

Staff member
Hah, gotcha. No, not me... TIME MAGAZINE.

Along with a number of justifiably obnoxious, overused words and phrases like "literally," "bae," and "turnt," Time's fourth annual poll titled "Which Word Should Be Banned in 2015?" also includes the word "feminist."

The post clarifies the nomination as follows:
"You have nothing against feminism itself, but when did it become a thing that every celebrity had to state their position on whether this word applies to them, like some politician declaring a party? Let's stick to the issues and quit throwing this label around like ticker tape at a Susan B. Anthony parade."​

The poll, while intended to be a lighthearted piece, has resulted in a bit of controversy online over that words' inclusion.
TIME thinks the word "feminist" should be banned? We think reductive attacks on feminism should be banned. #justsayin http://t.co/3pJMAs4SyD
— Planned Parenthood (@PPact) November 12, 2014

Washington Post writer Alyssa Rosenberg has a lengthy piece explaining why she thinks "Suggesting banning it is stupid on linguistic grounds, not just political ones."
Samantha Allen from the The Daily Beast goes even further to dub the poll both "sexist" and "racist."
And, as The Daily Dot points out, some users on 4Chan's /b/ board, who are infamous for regularly gaming year-end polls on Time, are using the site to rally votes to ban "feminist." 9gag is reportedly also trolling the poll.

And it seems to be working.

As of Thursday afternoon, "feminist" is winning with 50% of the votes, with "bae" in a distant second.
"OMG," "YOLO," and "twerk" were the previous winners.
I can't even with this.
(via TIME)

I saw that it won the Time poll.
I reserve comment until I see how LSSU decides to rule this year in their annual banned word list.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
This is obviously just a red herring set up to take the heat off of "bae". I'm not sure what group is behind such a heinous conspiracy, but "bae" needs to die. "Before All Else" makes absolutely no sense when you call a dozen different people "bae".

This is obviously just a red herring set up to take the heat off of "bae". I'm not sure what group is behind such a heinous conspiracy, but "bae" needs to die. "Before All Else" makes absolutely no sense when you call a dozen different people "bae".
All this time I thought it was just a shortened form of "babe."

--Patrick

Aw, gee, I thought this threat was going to be about GB using his new-found powers for good.

Er...I mean evil. Yes.

When I first saw this, I honestly thought it was a joke.

Also the old, stuffy, white backlash to bae makes me laugh. I really love the people that say the "BAE MEANS POOP IN DANISH SO YOU'RE CALLING YOUR LOVER POOP YOU DUMMIES" thing.

"Bae" irks me the same way "boo", "shawty", "shmoopy" etc. makes my eyes roll. 1) It sounds like you had a stroke. Is the word "baby" suddenly too complicated for you? and 2)if you're using a term of endearment for someone, it sounds so shallow for it to be some flavor-of-the-week term.

I also noticed in my 20's I disliked being referred to as "baby". It just felt uncomfortably diminutive (and ridiculously over-used). Chalk me up as old, stuffy and white.

GasBandit

Staff member
I also noticed in my 20's I disliked being referred to as "baby". It just felt uncomfortably diminutive (and ridiculously over-used). Chalk me up as old, stuffy and white.
"No, the name ain't 'baby.' It's Celt. Celt Z if you're nasty!"

Necronic

Staff member
When I heard the results I immediately assumed it was 4chan. This poll says a lot more about them than it does anything else.

I literally haven't heard of bae, turnt, or sorry not sorry. I haven't heard anyone use most of the others either. Am I old and out of touch?

/ninjad bae fade. Did I use it right?

I literally haven't heard of bae, turnt, or sorry not sorry. I haven't heard anyone use most of the others either. Am I old and out of touch?

/ninjad bae fade. Did I use it right?
My youngest niece uses "sorry not sorry" at least twice a day on facebook. I'm about to have to unfriend her ass :)