Time for More Replay in Baseball?

Should baseball use instant replay more?

• No. I like it the way it is (just for homeruns/fouls).

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Yes. Unlimited use!

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Yes, but with limits (explain)

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're reading this, odds are you're familiar with the debacle in Detroit last night. It's just one of many mistakes umpires have made. Afterall, no one is perfect.

So? Is it time for expanded use of instant replay in baseball?

Personally, I think they should allow more instant replay with limitations. I think they should adopt the NFL style where managers are allowed to challenge a set number of calls per game. I'm thinking just 1-2 calls. Also, I think that strikes/balls should be off limits, so the game doesn't get bogged down reviewing pitches.

What do you guys think?

I think that's reasonable. Say three challenges (mostly baserunning, I'd imagine) per manager per 9 inning game, and an extra two for extra innings. Add a couple for playoff games. No strike/ball challenges because the game would take forever. The fluidity of the strike zone is part of baseball; a consistent strike zone is the sign of a good umpire, and knowing what you can get away with is an asset to the players. For example, if your starting pitcher knows the home plate ump will call the high strike, you can use it. If you know he's strict about the side-to-side on the plate, you know you can't stretch the strike zone too far.

No, take it out of the game all together and punish any stadium that shows a replay that disagrees with the call on the field.

Yes, but it should be like in hockey. Have an umpire up in a box somewhere able to call a review for baserunning (certainly don't need to mess with the strike zone). It takes all of 10 seconds for broadcasters to get evidence of a bad call, MLB's excuse of it slowing the game is bullshit.

Yes, expanded replay, but with limits. Basically, it would be the official in the box who reviews everything. The Coaches can argue a call, but the Umpires on the field would be the ones to request the review. Basically, exactly like the home run review process, just expanded for base running & tags and such.

That's like having a "Just run the pedestrians over" light at an intersection. Both only work in Italy.

I agree with the OP, though I wil add a disclaimer saying I don't really care about baseball anyway and that change wouldn't make me start watching it all of a sudden.

Yes, but it should be like in hockey. Have an umpire up in a box somewhere able to call a review for baserunning (certainly don't need to mess with the strike zone). It takes all of 10 seconds for broadcasters to get evidence of a bad call, MLB's excuse of it slowing the game is bullshit.
Baseball is already slow as molasses, slowing it down another 10 seconds wouldn't hurt anybody.

BASEBALL: fun to play, but you better be drunk if you're going to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.