[Bug] Thread OP changing to Anonymous?

Older threads are showing up as Anonymous as the OP. I know for certain I did not start the Tech Random Crap thread as an anonymous poster. What gives?

Dave

Staff member
I show you as the thread starter, not you as anonymous. So I have no idea what you are seeing.

I show you as the thread starter, not you as anonymous. So I have no idea what you are seeing.
In the forum and new posts views (or anywhere threads are indexed), the profile picture is replaced with an "A". I've also noticed on several threads, at a glance.

1535563332564.png

Dave

Staff member
Weird. It shows the correct person within the thread, just not in the forum list. Let me try something real quick.

I noticed this, but didn't realize it was anonymizing thread starters, just thought we had so many threads started by Anonymous.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Okay, I figured it out, but I don't know that I can fix it.

If ANYONE in a thread posts as anonymous, it changes the thread starter to anonymous in the thread headings.

Now, I paid to have the Anonymous Posting addon made and the dev only gave 7 DAYS of free troubleshooting. That was a while ago. So how much does this bother us?

Guess we'll just have to start tagging the first thread-starter post with our names, so we'll remember who did it.

--Patrick

I don't particularly care for the whole "show the thread starter's icon" feature. I get that it breaks up the phpBB-style monotony of the same thread indicators over and over but... It doesn't seem useful on the whole, to me, outside a handful threads/boards (e.g. the blog/AMA threads).

Dave

Staff member
I'm looking for a mod that we had in XF 1.0 that lets you change the thread starter. Once I get that I'll be able to change everything back. At least it doesn't fuck with the ACTUAL first post in the thread.

The other problem is that the change to anonymous makes it impossible for the OP to change the thread title - i.e., the NHL thread or the other sports threads that are stuck in the past.

Dave

Staff member
Well shit. There IS no 2.x Change Thread Starter mod and the author of the 1.x version is gone from XF. So I'm asking some devs if they have something they can use instead. One promising one might get back to me soon. I will get this fixed, but please be patient.

Dave

Staff member
I did get lectured pretty heavily from one dev about allowing anonymous posting and guest posting because he felt they were nothing but trouble, so I got that going for me.

I did get lectured pretty heavily from one dev about allowing anonymous posting and guest posting because he felt they were nothing but trouble, so I got that going for me.
Yeah, because all forums everywhere using particular software must run on the exact same rules and themes. If you're developing software like this, you have to allow for and prepare for different use forms.