Thor 3: Ragnarok

Looks good. I particularly like how the valkyries are portrayed. I just wish Marvel didn't spoil the whole plot in a single teaser trailer.

Dave

Staff member
I think it's just the right amount of "guardianofthegalaxy-y".[DOUBLEPOST=1491833678,1491833634][/DOUBLEPOST]Or "Asgardians of the Galaxy" as it were.

It's like every hard rock album cover of the 70's and 80's came to life. I'm so in.

EDIT: So we give up Thor's Flowing Locks for Thor Hat? Ok, I'll let it slide. This time.

Isn't it too "guardianofthegalaxy-y"?
It seems to me that Marvel wants the "Earth" movies and the "Galaxy" movies to have unique vibes from each other. Since GOTG took off for it's more wacky, somewhat 80s nostalgic vibe, and since Thor 3 takes place in the greater galaxy setting (aka, the GOTGs wheelhouse with a lot of the same aliens and designs), it makes sense to go with the same vibe as GOTG for the marketing material. It's like the first official crossover to represent that these universes are one in the same.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just wish Marvel didn't spoil the whole plot in a single teaser trailer.
Thanks for that sentence, so I knew not to watch the trailer and to actively avoid trailers elsewhere :D (I already knew I was gonna go watch it since it was announced)

I've been busy writing all day, but I watched this on my phone and then again on my computer screen when I got home. All I have to say is:

YES. All the yesses. Barrels of yesses!

I think it's just the right amount of "guardianofthegalaxy-y".[DOUBLEPOST=1491833678,1491833634][/DOUBLEPOST]Or "Asgardians of the Galaxy" as it were.
I bet you're Swear Wolf and a not a Were Wolf.[DOUBLEPOST=1491865567][/DOUBLEPOST]
No Beta Ray Bill in the cast. :mad:
That you know of. Mjolnir is gonna need reforging, why not make Stormbreaker while the forge is hot?

*doubts that there is a Beta Ray Bill subplot but one can hope*

This feels more like act 1; as opposed to Spider-man: Homecoming's most recent trailer.

That said, I wish this was the last trailer we'd get for Thor 3. We're going to see more of it from now to November and it's going to be hard to avoid since I promise MCU trailers will be in front of the majority of movies.

The GotG vibe works because they're using this movie to bridge the Avengers to the greater cosmic scene. After all, the Asgardians already know about the Infinity Stones, and Hela ravaging Asgard explains why Odin Allfather and company aren't stopping Thanos before he reaches the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers. Hell, the stinger for Dark World showed Volstagg and Sif meeting with the Collector on Nowhere, so there's already that connection.

This is why the MCU works so well. "Okay, Thor and Hulk weren't in Civil War, so here's what's going on with them, and here's where this ties in to Guardians of the Galaxy, so by the time Infinity War rolls around, we'll have a connection already established. Like how we had Falcon in Ant-Man and that allowed us to bring Scott in for Civil War, and introducing Spider-Man in Civil War sets up having Tony Stark in Homecoming." There's a coherent vision that allows each film to have its own unique voice but still mesh well with the others.

I think it also helps that Marvel isn't tone-deaf with the settings for their characters. The same environment that works for Thor or GotG isn't going to fit, say, Captain America or Iron Man's solo jaunts. Cap's stories need to be more grounded, otherwise he feels out of place, and Tony can't be constantly surrounded by absurd humor, because his dry wit would just come off as curmudgeonly. Like I mentioned in the other thread, Dark World just too somber for the world and personalities established in the first Thor. This feels like a better fit, even though everything seems turned up to 11 from Thor 1.

Building on what @Null said, now that we're Coulson-less in the movies, even the cameos feel natural because they (usually) match the characters that don't seem out-of-place in their world. Falcon doesn't seem out of place in Ant-Man, Tony's science and tech-focus lines up with Peter Parker's, and it doesn't seem strange (ha, ha) that Thor would be working with Dr. Strange. So when they bring these guys together, it's not like smashing square pegs into Batman- circle-shaped holes.

Slightly off-topic, but I was thinking about this the other day: I know people complain about the sameness of the Marvel movies*, but I feel like they did something different Dr. Strange. He's the first character with an origin story that had to be convinced his world (and his role therein) existed. With everyone else, their role was already part of their environment, they just had to step-up their part in it. Iron Man was already in tech building, Cap was all about being a soldier in WWII, Thor was raised around magic/heroics, the Guardians were already space pirates. Even Ant-Man already had the skills from being a "career-thief", he just needed to add the suit.

*Which, if you feel this way, is fine. Everyone's allowed an opinion.

Slightly off-topic, but I was thinking about this the other day: I know people complain about the sameness of the Marvel movies*, but I feel like they did something different Dr. Strange. He's the first character with an origin story that had to be convinced his world (and his role therein) existed. With everyone else, their role was already part of their environment, they just had to step-up their part in it. Iron Man was already in tech building, Cap was all about being a soldier in WWII, Thor was raised around magic/heroics, the Guardians were already space pirates. Even Ant-Man already had the skills from being a "career-thief", he just needed to add the suit.

*Which, if you feel this way, is fine. Everyone's allowed an opinion.
No, they're not. :p

The "Marvel sameness" point of view feels like the result of boiling down an intelligent observation to a buzzword. Some people noted uniformity problems that have cropped up in elements of the movies, and in a couple cases the movies themselves, and now many more people are latching onto that as a go-to rather than considering if it genuinely applies. There's an issue, certainly in the score and color-grading, but I think too many people are applying that as a blanket critique that defines the MCU as a whole. Marvel does seem aware of it and wants to stave off any legitimacy to it, which is why we're getting three very different movies this year. But I think the "sameyness" idea holds less water than is assumed by, for example, DCEU fans.

I'm wondering where Dr. Strange will fit into this movie. From the stinger in his movie, it seems near-certain that he will be in there somewhere. I'm glad they haven't shown him yet though.

If I could hazard a guess, I'd say near the start. Thor goes to New York for some reason, Hela attacks him and makes his hammer all explodey. So he goes to Strange's pad for sanctuary and guidance. I figure this because I recall Thor word plain clothes in that stinger. So maybe he's depowered at that point.

I doubt Strange plays any larger role in the movie than that. Heck, maybe it's Strange's spell that sends him to, for lack of a better word, Planet Hulk.

I'm wondering where Dr. Strange will fit into this movie. From the stinger in his movie, it seems near-certain that he will be in there somewhere. I'm glad they haven't shown him yet though.
I have a feeling it will be the third act. This is my best guess to the plot based on what we know...
Thor will discover Loki's trick near the start of the movie, forcing him to flee Asgard. Thor will return to Earth to search for Odin but instead is confronted by Hela, who realizing that Odin was Loki the whole time since the end of Thor 2, sees an opportunity to destroy an Odin-less Asgard and claim all their dead. She can't enter Asgard though without the help of a son of Odin, thus she fights Thor, destroys Mjolnir, and takes Thor to the underworld for the ritual that would allow her entrance to Asgard, she succeeds and attacks, ultimately destroying Asgard and scattering the few survivors across the realms (likely Heimdall , Sif, and the Warriors Three, as I don't see them getting killed off, but who knows...).

Thor lands on a junk planet (either by accident in the attack or symbolically by Hela as she no longer needs him), and is discovered by Valkyrie, an exiled Asgardian. She ends up taking him to the Gamemaster, to fight in his gladiator games. Loki reappears, having fled to the Gamemaster's realm, and thus Thor has to fight the Hulk. How the Hulk even got there is anyone's guess, but I have a feeling Loki was able to subdue Bruce Banner and gave him to the Gamemaster sometime during his rule of Asgard, as revenge for his thrashing at the climax of Avengers. The two fight but ultimately escape together and even destroy the Gamemaster, convincing Valkyrie to join them, and begin searching for other survivors. Loki takes over the Gamemasters assets during this period.

They find Heimdall, Sif, and the Warriors, and after confronting Loki are able to even bring him over to their side to avenge Asgard. Loki and Thor once again return to Earth to find the final person they need, Odin, but have no idea where to look, thus Thor goes to Doctor Strange to help. They find Odin, but things ramp up when Hela starts opens a void to the underworld to consume all life in every realm. While Doctor Strange works to keep the rifts from widening and Odin goes to get Mjolnir reforged, Loki works to defend any remaining Asgardian survivors with the Gamemaster's army, and Thor and Hulk enter the underworld to defeat Hela and Thor is given the reforged Mjolnir just in time. Skurge, who joins sometime in all this, sacrifices himself to let the others escape the underworld and Doctor Strange finishes closing the rifts.

As for that scene with Hela seemingly to kill a bunch of people on Pegasus mounts, I think that is likely similar to Dark World, and is just an opening narrative cinematic to explain how dark, evil, and powerful Hela is. I don't think we have actually seen any of the real climax yet, other then Skurge.

Just an idea, based on the trailer flow and the usual tropes.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
See, I don't think they should have showed the Hulk. That as a surprise reveal would have been amazing. It could have been the "big secret" for the movie to produce even more buzz than it already had. Can you just imagine if you saw the movie and thinking it was going to be some big-assed monster (with trailing shots over the gladiatorial menagerie beforehand to set up and reinforce the assumption) and then *BAM!* surprise Planet Hulk. The crowd would have gone fucking nuts.

No, they're not. :p

The "Marvel sameness" point of view feels like the result of boiling down an intelligent observation to a buzzword. Some people noted uniformity problems that have cropped up in elements of the movies, and in a couple cases the movies themselves, and now many more people are latching onto that as a go-to rather than considering if it genuinely applies. There's an issue, certainly in the score and color-grading, but I think too many people are applying that as a blanket critique that defines the MCU as a whole. Marvel does seem aware of it and wants to stave off any legitimacy to it, which is why we're getting three very different movies this year. But I think the "sameyness" idea holds less water than is assumed by, for example, DCEU fans.
For the record, I don't think they're the same, but if people say they're too similar, I think that's more of a surface observation.

They'd already confirmed a Thor-Hulk buddy comedy so they might has well run with it.

I understand marketers wanting to generate buzz for a film even while it's still in production. But do fans really need to know all the details and Easter eggs beforehand? They obsessively pick over every frame in order to find out which new character will be introduced. Even a cell phone camera shot of the set goes onto Entertainment Weekly or Vanity Fair, then is disseminated through the schlocky clickbait sites (e.g. "a fan stepped onto the Jessica Jones set and you won't believe what happened next"). What's wrong with just being pleasantly surprised on opening night?

Like, say Richard Rider (the first Nova) is introduced in Guardians 2. He hasn't shown up in any teasers or trailers. He's not in the IMDB listing. I'd be ecstatic if that happens and I'd really rather not know beforehand. Just let me have the thrill of discovery.

I also remember how Geoffrey Rush was not credited in Pirates of Caribbean 2 before release. He was revealed at the very end. Suddenly everyone in the theater had a shared moment of seeing a rather likeable villain returning. They did something similar with Keith Richards in Pirates 3. Keeping the audience in the dark isn't a crime.

I remember buzz around Keith Richards before POTC3 came out, but no one seemed to know what he was doing in the movie.

Turned out, not much.