Things you hate that everyone else seems to like?

What are some things that everyone seems to like, but that you, yourself hate? I don't really hate anything, so there's none for me.

Neil Gaiman's stuff - I don't hate the man, I've never met him, and I'm sure he's lovely. But I can't stand his writings and other works. I loved the movie adaptation of Stardust, so I gave the book a shot. Nnnnope.

Neil Gaiman's stuff - I don't hate the man, I've never met him, and I'm sure he's lovely. But I can't stand his writings and other works. I loved the movie adaptation of Stardust, so I gave the book a shot. Nnnnope.
Oh my god, I just love Neil Gaiman, how could you not like him? I'm joking. But really, I think his novels are wonderful: Stardust especially.

fade

Staff member
Some of his stuff is definitely overrated, but sandman and the graveyard book are very good.

Hate may be too strong a word but The Walking Dead. I should like this. I like Kirkman's other works (Invincible is fantastic), I still enjoy works featuring zombies. But I just found Walking Dead a complete chore to read.

Hate may be too strong a word but The Walking Dead. I should like this. I like Kirkman's other works (Invincible is fantastic), I still enjoy works featuring zombies. But I just found Walking Dead a complete chore to read.
Hate really is a strong word, and I tend not to use it whenever I can. I can only legitimately say I hate four things in this world, the two men who murdered my aunt, the man who poisoned a friend to watch him suffer and a much darker person is the fourth.

You're like a robot that never learned what this emotion called "love" is.

Unrelated, Dr. Whom is not the best thing on earth
You know, nobody ever says Wall-E has emotions. He displays emotive behaviors but that doesn't necessitate feelings. It is interesting to watch that movie with the perspective that the robots were merely designed to imitate emotions as a means of personifying them for the sake of human masters.

Dave

Staff member
You know, nobody ever says Wall-E has emotions. He displays emotive behaviors but that doesn't necessitate feelings. It is interesting to watch that movie with the perspective that the robots were merely designed to imitate emotions as a means of personifying them for the sake of human masters.
No, they made him and the other one fall in love. Which is just fucking stupid.

Well, guess who's day you just ruined?
Data_crying.jpg

Dave

Staff member
Those are behaviors, which YOU interpret. You could make any robot today do those things and they wouldn't feel a damn thing.
But they do these things autonomously and of their own volition. You really think they programmed a garbage bot to hold hands or emulate falling in love?

But they do these things autonomously and of their own volition. You really think they programmed a garbage bot to hold hands or emulate falling in love?
No, I would say they programmed them to learn, which Wall-E does by watching Hello Dolly. All of the robots on the Axiom follow scripted behaviors (including some that emote for the sake of humans) and they all start to learn when Wall-E crosses their paths, including Eve.

Dave

Staff member
No, I would say they programmed them to learn, which Wall-E does by watching Hello Dolly. All of the robots on the Axiom follow scripted behaviors (including some that emote for the sake of humans) and they all start to learn when Wall-E crosses their paths, including Eve.
That's...logical. Damn it. I have no answer. I still hate it but now it's an irrational hatred, you bastard!

Wall-E: The story of two robots forced to act in love with each other by a cruel programmer who died centuries ago. They would both rather just be computing pi.

Also, "computing pi" is now slang for robot sex.

It boils down a classic debate in artificial intelligence: "Hard" AI (computers can recreate the human mind) and "soft" AI (machines can only ever mimic it but not recreate it). I actually fall on the soft AI side for several reasons, but reserve the possibility that I could be utterly wrong.[DOUBLEPOST=1395363675,1395363638][/DOUBLEPOST]
Wall-E: The story of two robots forced to act in love with each other by a cruel programmer who died centuries ago. They would both rather just be computing pi.

Also, "computing pi" is now slang for robot sex.
Forcing them to act that way isn't cruel if they don't feel anything!

Forcing them to act that way isn't cruel if they don't feel anything!
It IS if it was done for cruel, human reasons. Just because the puppet can't feel anything it acts out doesn't mean the person who is forcing them to do it doesn't have their own feeling on the matters.

It IS if it was done for cruel, human reasons. Just because the puppet can't feel anything it acts out doesn't mean the person who is forcing them to do it doesn't have their own feeling on the matters.
I have a poor imagination because I can't conceive of the cruel reasons someone would simulate love...