AMA/Journey

The fact that I'm dreading doing this tells me how necessary it is. I am miserly with personal information, to the point that I get apprehensive even sharing music with my wife, who knows me better than anyone. My therapist suggested it would be healthy to open up to people more, and forcing myself to start an ask me anything thread seems a good way to try. I will try my best to be forthcoming in my responses, while deep down hoping this gets ignored :p. In fact, if it feels like I'm holding back or being evasive, please call me out.

EDIT: It took me five minutes to hit Create Thread and I'm resisting the urge to delete this. Yay.

If you could boil it down to one thing, what's something you're looking forward to this year?
There's games, movies, books, etc., but the big thing that kinda shapes the time leading up to it would be finally getting a house (or duplex or condo--whatever it is, something we own). We've been in this apartment throwing rent money down the toilet for nine years and my goal this year is to get our own place.

What’s your favorite memory?
I'm glad no one asked me this years ago, because I feel I would've tried going to my childhood and come up dry. Now I have people and creatures I've taken care of, so I'll just share some of those because it's hard to pick one. I wrote what's below, then almost deleted it thinking "this sounds stupid, I just like it when the kids say funny things" but thinking of any of these always makes me smile.

- My youngest sister's name is Nicole, and so is our older cousin. So me, sisters, brother, mom, and stepdad are eating silently at dinner one night. Then my mom suddenly looks to my stepdad and says "Oh! I forgot to tell you. Nicole's pregnant!"
My sister gave a blunt "What." Her face was priceless.
- My twin cousins were visiting and playing Little Big Planet, which almost always led to arguing. Most of the time it's Jess who is mouthy and John stays quiet, but he got fed up that day. Jess: "Stop moving! We need to change our clothes!" John, deadpan: "You need to change your personality."
- Dinner with my twin cousins and their moms. One aunt says to girl cousin: "You know what's neat? Your cousin got a job today." Jess scrunched up her face: "I don't care about that." I had to bite my cheeks not to laugh, because I'd already been told my amusement with the kids' talking back was encouraging them :p.
- Also, one night was me, my wife, and when we had the two boy rats a couple years ago. For some reason we were each walking with one, and then we came close to each other to trade rats, the two of them starting running circles on our shoulders, around our heads, and then got on our arms and started snuggling between us so we couldn't break away right then. It was just a nice moment and one I made sure to keep in mind, because I knew they wouldn't be around for long.

Going big right away! Nice.

What's the song that you hesitated most to share with your wife? And what does that song say to you?
See, this is more a big one. I hate sharing music with people and I don't know why. It feels so personal, like if someone saw my iTunes, they'd know too much about me. I don't know the name of the song, but it was some Japanese hip-hop thing. It says less to me than about me, that I'm okay listening to stuff like that. I think much worse is that my wife will introduce something to me and I will just be stoic about it, and take a admit to her that I liked it.

Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter?
Fall, no question. It's the right mix of hot and cold, and doesn't have spring's allergy festival.

How did I not know you were this apprehensive about things?

—Patrick
I guess I'm just that mysterious. :p

Or because me being a jerk on here is part of a facade I've created, an uncaring, detached observer that I've been for the last many years of my life, only opening up to maybe five or six people. Sharing that I liked Godzilla movies on here felt like a big thing, which is ridiculous. Overall I've been very guarded, and if you act like something long enough, you become it. I've mentioned before that I erase half the posts I type on Halforums without actually posting them. I would get shy about sharing, opening up, any way you want to put it out there. Even the way I type, phrasing and things like that, feels more calculated than genuine. Same with emotional displays IRL. I hate surprises because I don't have time to plan a reaction.

I don't want to be the person who's afraid to show my wife how happy I am that she got me an awesome Doctor Doom shirt for Christmas with just a "Oh, thank you very much" when internally I'm going "holy shit, this is amazing! I love it!"

Social anxiety? Irrational fear of people finding out about you?
I don't know. If it was only among strangers or acquaintances, I would think so, but the people closest to me, who I've known for a crazy amount of time? I shouldn't be nervous sharing little things with them. Big things, I could at least understand apprehension, but not little things like music or memories. I can fake confidence and blather on all day to anyone about one topic or another, so long as it's not myself.

If you had to choose one food for the rest of your life...what would it be?
Chicken sandwich with pineapple, lettuce, and a garlic sauce/dressing. That way I could still be getting my proper nutrients and keep that life going for a ways despite the boredom of eating the same thing all the time. :cool:

I don't know. If it was only among strangers or acquaintances, I would think so, but the people closest to me, who I've known for a crazy amount of time? I shouldn't be nervous sharing little things with them. Big things, I could at least understand apprehension, but not little things like music or memories. I can fake confidence and blather on all day to anyone about one topic or another, so long as it's not myself.
That's the thing about irrational thoughts, they're not rational. And I say that as someone who also has them.

Is opening this thread getting easier?
I think so? I'm not hovering over the Post Reply button after typing like I was at first. Some questions are less hard to answer because of sharing and more because I don't know the answer.

I appreciate everyone's help even though it's at times nerve-racking for me to respond.

I think so? I'm not hovering over the Post Reply button after typing like I was at first. Some questions are less hard to answer because of sharing and more because I don't know the answer.

I appreciate everyone's help even though it's at times nerve-racking for me to respond.
What's the question you're most afraid to answer? First scenario that pops in your mind.

What's the question you're most afraid to answer? First scenario that pops in your mind.
Okaaaaay, no more soft throws then ... I don't know if that's an actual sports term.

The first scenario to come to mind being this thread, someone asking why I'm seeing a therapist.

Dave

Staff member
On a scale of 9 to 10 how cool do you think it would be to travel to Omaha to meet me?

Okaaaaay, no more soft throws then ... I don't know if that's an actual sports term.

The first scenario to come to mind being this thread, someone asking why I'm seeing a therapist.
You know, I actually would never think to ask that, because I assume that if someone is seeing a therapist, the reason is obviously because they want therapy.

But since this is about tackling those fears head on, why are you seeing a therapist?

You know, I actually would never think to ask that, because I assume that if someone is seeing a therapist, the reason is obviously because they want therapy.

But since this is about tackling those fears head on, why are you seeing a therapist?
In the dark ages of Halforums, one man cried out a word of courage: "THERAPY!"

Which I'm not sure I ever participated in that thread, just looked at, and actually has nothing to do with this. So, you know, we put general anxiety down, make sure to bring up the old childhood issues leading into the primary problem, which stems into this thread's issue of how I don't open up to people. I pretend I don't care, and if someone judges me, why should I? They're judging a presentation that I could hide inside of.

Anyway.

I was being honest with Nick that trying to get a house is the thing I'm looking forward to most this year, but a big thing is that I'm going to be going through things. I don't want to keep hiding who I am. But if I can't share music with my wife, how am I supposed to be honest about much bigger things to friends and family? I'm transgender. It's not a new thing, it's a half my life thing, and I just didn't want to risk what that would mean to those around me if they ever knew. Only five people have known, none of them family. That's why I'm seeing a therapist. Because 16 years is too long to have been doing this to myself, loathing dishonesty, hurting others with my detachment, but also loathing the selfish idea of being myself. My mindset has been very all or nothing, that since I wasn't sure if I could share this, how could I share anything? Better they see me as a passive, apathetic observer when really I have tons to say and express and feel. I've been afraid of losing people if they ever found out, and I'm hoping therapy will help me open up to people because really, I'm not having an honest relationship with a lot of them in the first place. So 2018 might hurt, a lot, or it might bring me closer to people I love, or both.

That’s a tough road but you know we don’t give a shit. Well, we care, just not about that. You are who you are and that’s who we like. [emoji106]
Thank you, Dave. I'm going to try being more myself here. I feel like anytime that was starting to happen, I'd lash out. I don't want to be like that.

Are you still taking care of rats?
I wish. The third of four girls passed away in August 2016 (I can't believe it was that long ago already), and we gave up the last to a foster home because she was miserable alone and our plan was to not adopt any more until we have a home, so that's more motivation to make it happen. We even got rid of our cage so we wouldn't be tempted to get more rats on a whim, and good thing, because we've had a couple opportunities come up.

So, house, then rats again once we're stable. Which will be really nice.

What's your fav kaiju movie? (A soft ball question after the hard stuff. :) )
You call that a soft one when there are so many incredible Kaiju movies?! :p

This is difficult. I can pick my favorite Gamera movie easily, Gamera 2: Attack of Legion (or Advent depending on the distribution). Then there's my top five Godzilla movies:

Godzilla vs Mothra (1960s)
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1970s)
Godzilla vs Biollante
Shin Godzilla
and because no Godzilla fan's list is complete without a bad one they love anyway: Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla

But I don't know if I could pick one favorite.

What's something you're incredibly proud of?

Spicy food opinions?

What were you like as a kid - adventurous, studious, imaginative, athletic, etc etc?