[Brazelton] The Year of Death Continues - Harper Lee

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2016/02/harper_lee_dead_at_age_of_89_t.html

This one hits me in a weird spot.

For some reason I never saw her as a real person, always as like a figment of imagination, figment of life? I don't know, it's weird. I think I'm lucky in that I read To Kill a Mockingbird of my own accord before I was forced to do so - I think I was in 6th/7th grade when I read it. It feels like the passing of the last 'great' authors, you know? I know there are plenty of amazing ones currently, but they don't possess the majesty or prestige that comes to mind with Harper Lee - that rare kind of mystery.

Anyway, 2016, you're taking a lot of greats here, let's slow it down! Or, you know, stop altogether!

I read her books when I was a kid and assumed she was already gone simply because she wrote of a time period that was well before my time.

I love reading her books. They make me feel like I'm back in Mobile without the pain of actually being back in Mobile.

Until the kerfuffle with Go Set a Watchman, I had assumed she had already past for the same reason as @stienman. To Kill a Mockingbird one of the few school-assigned books that still sticks with me after all these years. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't read it yet really should make some time to read it.

fade

Staff member
Well at least she doesn't have to deal with the crud they pushed out under her name recently. :(

fade

Staff member
Well it's really just draft material for the early versions of Mockingbird. She wrote it but revised it out for good reasons.