[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

And started Carmen San Diego.

I'm not feeling it at least based on the first episode. It's not terrible, but it's dumb in a lazy way, and after the last few amazing animated shows I've watched, and knowing there are other great ones I still haven't watched, I'm having trouble giving something this unambitious more attention. Julie seemed to like it, so we'll probably watch the rest and hopefully it wins me over at some point.

The Annie awards were last night -- Spider-Verse went seven for seven, winning every category in which it was nominated, including the Annie for Best Animated Feature and feature animation category prizes for directing, writing, character animation, character design, production design, and editorial. (CartoonBrew)

On the "Broadcast" side, Netflix was the big winner, taking every win in those categories with 3 awards for Hilda, 1 for BoJack Horseman, and 1 for Storybots.

New Star Trek Animated Kids Show in negotiation for Nickelodeon.

Plot details on the new series are being kept under wraps, but it hails from writers Kevin and Dan Hageman. The Hagemans are known for their work on animated shows such as “Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu” and “Trollhunters.” They also worked on the story for the films “Hotel Transylvania,” “The Lego Movie,” and “The Lego Ninjago Movie.” They are repped by WME and Underground Management.
This is in edition to the Star Trek: Lower Decks adult cartoon being done Rick and Morty writer Mike McMahan for CBS All-Access.

Ooo, I hope the world doesn't get Trekked out and oversaturated. I want to continue to like the franchise.

--Patrick
CBS is running with the only gun they've got. They've been putting money into Star Trek Online too, with an entire "season" devoted to Discovery related story lines. Even had Tilly's actor come to be a character during the Discovery Age character intro missions and to be her Mirror Universe counterpart Captain "Killy" in the planet Pavo two parter.

It's not a bad move. Star Trek has always been much more open to franchise experimentation than most.

Star Trek has always been much more open to franchise experimentation than most.
It's not that I feel it's being polluted, or even that it's being stretched too thin. I just don't want the populace to get so tired of seeing Trek on everything, around every corner, etc. that there's some kind of "Enough, already!" backlash and then it gets damped down so hard that it fades again.

--Patrick

It's not that I feel it's being polluted, or even that it's being stretched too thin. I just don't want the populace to get so tired of seeing Trek on everything, around every corner, etc. that there's some kind of "Enough, already!" backlash and then it gets damped down so hard that it fades again.

--Patrick
I would argue that it didn't even "fade" to begin with; the time between Enterprise (which was becoming a good show in it's own right when it was cancelled) and the first Star Trek Reboot movie was only 3 years and that's a much smaller gap than TOS and TNG. And that's with TNG, DS9, and VOY being in syndication continuously the entire time. It just feels like it was a longer gap because no one watched Enterprise.

Basically, my take on this is if Star Wars can be a massive media franchise with constant exposure, so can Star Trek.

Dragon Prince season 2

Only problem I have with this, is that much like season 1 its TOO short, I mean only NINE episodes?! COME ON! Either way the story was great, the animation improved VASTLY, love this show and Ehasz knocks it out of the park once again!

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm halfway into episode 4 of Costume Quest on Amazon Prime, and it's okay. Not as good as I would have hoped, not as bad as I might have feared. My brain is kinda fried today, so I could also be completely off in my rating. Still, my general impression is that it's a Gravity Falls wannabe, and it's not a complete failure, but it's definitely not as good; which isn't saying a lot, as amazing as Gravity Falls is.

It's anime, but it's coming to Toonami so I'm posting it here, because it's so good that more people should watch it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Man, I just looked at Toonami's current lineup... that's some quality whiplash going on.

Dragonball Super! That's good!

Boruto. That's bad.

MHA! That's good!

SAO. That's bad.

JJBA! That's good!

Black Clover. That's bad.

Attack on Titan! That's good!

Naurto: Shippuden. That's bad.

Hunter X Hunter.... can I go now?

SAO: Alicization is... the least awful of the main line SAO stuff? Though I heard the SAO Alternative:Gun Gale Online is actually not awful.

As for The Promised Neverland... Best Cooking Show, 2019!

As someone actually watching Black Clover and not just hating on certain types of Shonen, I think it's pretty good.

My daughter likes Black Clover more than MHA now because Black Clover actually gives a shit about their female characters.

As someone actually watching Black Clover and not just hating on certain types of Shonen, I think it's pretty good.
It's pretty average, but it's not god awful. My problem is Mob Psycho 100 has kind of ruined Shonen for me by showing just how much better it could be if it let it's hero grow in a meaningful way.

My daughter likes Black Clover more than MHA now because Black Clover actually gives a shit about their female characters.
I kind of feel like MHA needs to split the cast up and do two shows or do two arcs with two different casts. It's cast is just TOO BIG at this point.

Watched the first three Love, Death and Robots shorts on Netflix. Was expecting to love a mature anthology series about those 3 subjects, but what I got was a 12 year old's idea of edgy and mature. The only one of the bunch I remotely liked was The Witness. The first one was so heavy handed that it might as well have had signs pointing during the monster fight scene showing exactly what rape imagery they were evoking. Three Robots was literally the least funny thing I've ever sat through. The Witness was weird, quirkily animated and a well executed short. If the rest of the series is more like this and less (PLEASE LESS) like Three Robots, I might endure more.

The first one was so heavy handed that it might as well have had signs pointing during the monster fight scene showing exactly what rape imagery they were evoking.
Just letting you know, Netflix randomized the order of the shorts so saying this is meaningless.

Yeah, but if you go into the menu and pick the first one, it does have an order. The first episode listed is always Sonnie's Edge, the monster fight short, then Three Robots and then The Witness. If you just hit play, it randomizes them for whatever reason.