[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

OKAY-so on Justice League Action, they cast "Green Lantern animated series" Josh Keaton as...Hal Jordan...okay..nothing...to FREAK OUT ABOUT-BUT-the latest episode-
-had a disembodied AI who recognized Hal and was given massive hope to find someone and AYA IS MOTHER-FUCKING ALIVE! I LOVE LIFE RIGHT NOW!
How long has Justice League Action been back? Last I saw was Season 1 Episode 18.

YUP-despite being the amazing spiritual successor to Brave and the Bold, Batman TAS, AND Green Lantern the animated series-AS WELL-as a bunch of other obscure DC stories I haven't mentioned. Hannibal Burress is friggin' MISTER TERRIFIC, and he's not wasting his time in the Watchtower in Justice League or being guy Felicity in Arrow, he DOES shit!

GasBandit

Staff member
YUP-despite being the amazing spiritual successor to Brave and the Bold, Batman TAS, AND Green Lantern the animated series-AS WELL-as a bunch of other obscure DC stories I haven't mentioned. Hannibal Burress is friggin' MISTER TERRIFIC, and he's not wasting his time in the Watchtower in Justice League or being guy Felicity in Arrow, he DOES shit!
Yeah, but they gave Wonder Woman a sideways mullet. 0/10.

ReBoot is getting a reboot in 2018 :)
ReBoot: The Guardian Code
is the title of the new show and there are already pictures.

Umm...

What the....?

Synopsis from IMDB: "The modern adaptation mixes live-action with CG animation and tells the story of four teenagers who have been selected as the next generation
guardians of cyberspace."

That's not ReBoot, that sounds more like VR Troopers. Fuck this. :mad:

GasBandit

Staff member

Umm...

What the....?

Synopsis from IMDB: "The modern adaptation mixes live-action with CG animation and tells the story of four teenagers who have been selected as the next generation

Umm...

What the....?

As I said the last time it was brought it up: This is LITERALLY the plot of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.

Umm...

What the....?

Yuck.

And just when you thought Tony Jay dying was the main reason they shouldn't bring back Reboot...there's one that tops it.

Last edited:
I've been slowly working my way through RWBY. I've reached episode 6 of volume 3 now.

Monty Oum tragically passed away between volumes 2 and 3, and it really shows in the fight scenes. There have been plenty of analyses of Monty's animated fights, and what makes them special, such as Monty's impeccable grasp of poses and body positions, the rhythm in his fights, and how his scenes are framed. But to me, the biggest difference I've noticed so far is that Monty didn't "cheat" in his fight scenes, for lack of a better word.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with this Every Frame a Painting video that compares Jackie Chan's fight scenes to fights in western movies. One of the points made in the video is that western movies tend to use the camera to hide deficiencies in the actors' technique. For example, abrupt cuts when a hit lands, moving the camera around the combatants, etc. These things all started happening in volume 3's fight scenes, starting from the first episode. In the first episode, Team RWBY fights in the tournament, and Yang takes a punch to the face. The punch isn't shown, it just goes "enemy's fist flies towards Yang" -> "punch sound" -> "cut to Yang flying backwards". I mean, what's the point of that? That kind of thing is done in movie fight scenes because the actors can't act out the fight convincingly enough, but these are animated characters, so what's your excuse?

There's also a tendency in volume 3 for fighters to become a literal blur of movement, as in the animators will draw them as a blur when they move from one location to another, or when they dodge hits. One example is in the fight between Qrow and Winter. The fights in volumes 1 and 2 generally wouldn't do this; characters do move fast enough to look like a blur of movement in the video, but if you slow the video down or go through it frame by frame, you can see that the characters are actually doing moves incredibly quickly, and it's just that we as viewers can't catch it (at least not the first time we watch it). Characters who really do move fast enough to become a blur generally have story-related reasons for being able to do so, such as when Ruby and Blake use their semblances.

Another example of "cheating" would be Sun landing hits on his opponent in the tournament. The shot is framed so that only the hits from his weapon are seen, as if to indicate how fast he is. But in volume 1, there's a fight that illustrates his speed and technique, where the shot is from a wider angle and the camera is held more or less steadily, so that his every move is visible.

In episode 6 there's a fight between Yang and Mercury, which I considered a return to form for the series, because it replicated very well the stuff that made the fights from the earlier series so memorable. Afterwards, out of curiosity, I looked up who had animated that fight, and it turned out that most of it had been done by Monty before his passing.

I'm sure that the animators worked very hard on the fights in volume 3, and that they are undoubtedly talented animators in their own right. Monty and his work were unique, and almost irreplicable, and I understand that RWBY had to find a new direction after his departure. But so much of my enjoyment of the first two volumes came from Monty's spectacular fight scenes, so it's hard not to be at least a bit disappointed at how things are turning out. As I understand it, volumes 4 and 5 use a new animation software and their fight styles deviate even further from Monty's original style. That's making me less inclined to continue watching.

Yeah season three's animation had a set-back after Monty's passing for sure, I wont' deny it. I recommend sticking with it though, or at least until the end of season three.

Legion of Superheroes

DAMMIT-I want more. Just SO much wasted potential.

Director of the Netflix Voltron series and Legend of Korra wants to do a Sherlock Holmes spin-off series. First episode is on the KS page.

PARANOIA-

"Creators set to write film"

...okay I'm weirdly hopeful. EITHER WAY-if this gets me a sequel comic from Boom studios I'm GOLDEN! Or...whatever indie lable Disney's using this minute, they change so much.

The new Bravest Warriors season ain't the WORST thing on the net right now...buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I am not feeling this story. The prime reason being the Beth/Chris willthey/won'tthey...ITS JUST TOO TORTUROUS TO SIT THROUGH! Give me more fun eps with Danny or Wallow KEY-RIST!

EDIT: Okay never mind, I feel it might go somewhere now...still torturous though.

Last edited:
Ducktales 2018: Spear of Selene

I really, really hope that the stuff with Della Duck isn't the same as it was in the comics or I'm going to feel very frustrated when this mystery with her disappearance is solved. Otherwise, a very solid episode and it's good to see that people are getting actual character development.

Next week is the Gizmoduck one with Lin-Manuel Miranda. Can't wait.