1. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Already a member? Login Now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to Halforums!

At Halforums, we value everyone's input. Please feel free to post without having to create an account. You will have to complete a few more steps than a full member and have to put up with this annoying notice on every page. If you want to join, click Register and start talking!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  5. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice
  6. Welcome to Halforums!

Dismiss Notice

[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: Electric American BOOGALOO

Discussion in 'Media Madness' started by Bones, Jul 6, 2015.

1. AshburnerX

AshburnerX Resident Boo Radley

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB4,828
    How long has Justice League Action been back? Last I saw was Season 1 Episode 18.

2. Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster Upper Crust

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,786
    Bout like, 40 some episodes. They often release the newest eps on demand early.

3. AshburnerX

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB4,828
    And CN does nothing to advertise it. *sigh*

• Hugs Hugs x 1
  4. Yoshimickster

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,786
    YUP-despite being the amazing spiritual successor to Brave and the Bold, Batman TAS, AND Green Lantern the animated series-AS WELL-as a bunch of other obscure DC stories I haven't mentioned. Hannibal Burress is friggin' MISTER TERRIFIC, and he's not wasting his time in the Watchtower in Justice League or being guy Felicity in Arrow, he DOES shit!

5. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB46,379
    Yeah, but they gave Wonder Woman a sideways mullet. 0/10.

6. Dei

Dei Always shooting Terrik

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB14,209

• LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB29,735
    I hope they do a Trump show.

--Patrick

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  8. Yoshimickster

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,786
    Finished Trollhunters part 2, MAN I can't wait for part 3!

9. chris

chris Contributor

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB3,090
    ReBoot is getting a reboot in 2018 :)
    ReBoot: The Guardian Code
    is the title of the new show and there are already pictures.

[​IMG]

Umm...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What the....?

Synopsis from IMDB: "The modern adaptation mixes live-action with CG animation and tells the story of four teenagers who have been selected as the next generation
    guardians of cyberspace."

That's not ReBoot, that sounds more like VR Troopers. Fuck this. :mad:

10. GasBandit

GasBandit Ask me about my Reprehensible Filth Staff Member

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB46,379
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  11. AshburnerX

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB4,828
    As I said the last time it was brought it up: This is LITERALLY the plot of Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad.

12. Celt Z

Celt Z Ginger

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB13,321
    Yuck.

13. Yoshimickster

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,786
    And just when you thought Tony Jay dying was the main reason they shouldn't bring back Reboot...there's one that tops it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  14. PatrThom

PatrThom Genuinely Curious

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB29,735
    No lie, this looks like a publicity still for Destiny 2.

--Patrick

• Brofist Brofist x 1
  15. Celt Z

Celt Z Ginger

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB13,321
    I honestly thought the same thing when I first saw it.

16. Yoshimickster

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,786
    Also got a "Max Steel" vibe there as well.

17. Yoshimickster

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,786
    Bob's Burgers

I wanna punch Jimmy Junior RIGHT in his lisping mouth!

18. bhamv3

bhamv3 .

Books:
    HalBucks:
    HB6,899
    I've been slowly working my way through RWBY. I've reached episode 6 of volume 3 now.

Monty Oum tragically passed away between volumes 2 and 3, and it really shows in the fight scenes. There have been plenty of analyses of Monty's animated fights, and what makes them special, such as Monty's impeccable grasp of poses and body positions, the rhythm in his fights, and how his scenes are framed. But to me, the biggest difference I've noticed so far is that Monty didn't "cheat" in his fight scenes, for lack of a better word.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with this Every Frame a Painting video that compares Jackie Chan's fight scenes to fights in western movies. One of the points made in the video is that western movies tend to use the camera to hide deficiencies in the actors' technique. For example, abrupt cuts when a hit lands, moving the camera around the combatants, etc. These things all started happening in volume 3's fight scenes, starting from the first episode. In the first episode, Team RWBY fights in the tournament, and Yang takes a punch to the face. The punch isn't shown, it just goes "enemy's fist flies towards Yang" -> "punch sound" -> "cut to Yang flying backwards". I mean, what's the point of that? That kind of thing is done in movie fight scenes because the actors can't act out the fight convincingly enough, but these are animated characters, so what's your excuse?

There's also a tendency in volume 3 for fighters to become a literal blur of movement, as in the animators will draw them as a blur when they move from one location to another, or when they dodge hits. One example is in the fight between Qrow and Winter. The fights in volumes 1 and 2 generally wouldn't do this; characters do move fast enough to look like a blur of movement in the video, but if you slow the video down or go through it frame by frame, you can see that the characters are actually doing moves incredibly quickly, and it's just that we as viewers can't catch it (at least not the first time we watch it). Characters who really do move fast enough to become a blur generally have story-related reasons for being able to do so, such as when Ruby and Blake use their semblances.

Another example of "cheating" would be Sun landing hits on his opponent in the tournament. The shot is framed so that only the hits from his weapon are seen, as if to indicate how fast he is. But in volume 1, there's a fight that illustrates his speed and technique, where the shot is from a wider angle and the camera is held more or less steadily, so that his every move is visible.

In episode 6 there's a fight between Yang and Mercury, which I considered a return to form for the series, because it replicated very well the stuff that made the fights from the earlier series so memorable. Afterwards, out of curiosity, I looked up who had animated that fight, and it turned out that most of it had been done by Monty before his passing.

I'm sure that the animators worked very hard on the fights in volume 3, and that they are undoubtedly talented animators in their own right. Monty and his work were unique, and almost irreplicable, and I understand that RWBY had to find a new direction after his departure. But so much of my enjoyment of the first two volumes came from Monty's spectacular fight scenes, so it's hard not to be at least a bit disappointed at how things are turning out. As I understand it, volumes 4 and 5 use a new animation software and their fight styles deviate even further from Monty's original style. That's making me less inclined to continue watching.

• Informative Informative x 1