[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Ernest and Celestine (French, English Dub)

Based on the series of children's books by Belgian author Gabrielle Vincent. Orphan mouse girl befriends poor bear guy, they decide to live together as bohemian artists after engaging in a crime spree. Entire movie has this wonderful water color art style to it that evokes both French animation and what feels like a bit of Japanese influence (especially in the Miyazaki style). Really cute, good for all ages, with absolutely stunning animation and some really legitimate laughs. Might just be my new favorite kids movie.

Also Nick Offerman plays the candy-shop owner, and Megan Mullaley plays the dentist across the street who replaces people's teeth after they've rotted out. SATIRE!

figmentPez

Staff member
Ernest and Celestine (French, English Dub)

Based on the series of children's books by Belgian author Gabrielle Vincent. Orphan mouse girl befriends poor bear guy, they decide to live together as bohemian artists after engaging in a crime spree. Entire movie has this wonderful water color art style to it that evokes both French animation and what feels like a bit of Japanese influence (especially in the Miyazaki style). Really cute, good for all ages, with absolutely stunning animation and some really legitimate laughs. Might just be my new favorite kids movie.
Such a wonderful movie. Very cute and both hilarious and touching.

There ARE some height inconsistencies through-out the film, but still a fantastic movie.
I always viewed the height inconsistencies as a problem with the mice, not Ernest. When they think he's a monster, he's HUGE... but at the end, when they see him as a normal guy, he's just kinda tall. So his size changing is because it's tied to the perspectives of the people who are afraid of him.

GasBandit

Staff member
She gets some surprisingly good episodes though, especially the unicorn one.
I think the Unicorn episode was written as an overt "fuck you" to Mabel critics. Wendy comes right out and says "Mabel is a straight up saint, you judgemental hoofbag!"

Of course, Wendy doesn't know all the lessons Mabel has "learned" and then immediately forgotten, and hasn't been privy to all the bouts of selfishness, self-centeredness, and emotional manipulation Mabel has perpetrated over the course of the summer (and probably her entire life).

If you discard "Roadside Attraction" for the crappy filler episode it is, the plot goes immediately from "See, Mabel is good" in The Last Mabelcorn to "Mabel is incapable of putting anyone's happiness ahead of her own" in "Dipper and Mabel vs The Future," where she literally shrieks "I don't care how good an opportunity it is for you, it's a bad opportunity for me!" It shows that, despite her pretense to the contrary, Mabel has had zero character development since season 1, when not winning a pig she saw for the first time that day would send her into a monthlong emotional breakdown so severe that Dipper would be guilted into using time travel to sabotage his own relationship with Wendy just to get Mabel the pig she wanted.

Like many, I had hopes when she seemed to see the light during the puppet episode when Bill asked "after all, who would sacrifice all their dreams and happiness for somebody else?" and she realized and said "Dipper would!" before foiling him by ruining her own show... or that one of the several times (pun, har) she'd learned the hard way not to fiddle with other people's feelings just for the sake of her own feelings would have taken hold... but nope. Run off into the forest and cause the literal end of the world because you had a bad day, Mabel. That's character development, right? :facepalm:

I think the Unicorn episode was written as an overt "fuck you" to Mabel critics. Wendy comes right out and says "Mabel is a straight up saint, you judgemental hoofbag!"

Of course, Wendy doesn't know all the lessons Mabel has "learned" and then immediately forgotten, and hasn't been privy to all the bouts of selfishness, self-centeredness, and emotional manipulation Mabel has perpetrated over the course of the summer (and probably her entire life).

If you discard "Roadside Attraction" for the crappy filler episode it is, the plot goes immediately from "See, Mabel is good" in The Last Mabelcorn to "Mabel is incapable of putting anyone's happiness ahead of her own" in "Dipper and Mabel vs The Future," where she literally shrieks "I don't care how good an opportunity it is for you, it's a bad opportunity for me!" It shows that, despite her pretense to the contrary, Mabel has had zero character development since season 1, when not winning a pig she saw for the first time that day would send her into a monthlong emotional breakdown so severe that Dipper would be guilted into using time travel to sabotage his own relationship with Wendy just to get Mabel the pig she wanted.

Like many, I had hopes when she seemed to see the light during the puppet episode when Bill asked "after all, who would sacrifice all their dreams and happiness for somebody else?" and she realized and said "Dipper would!" before foiling him by ruining her own show... or that one of the several times (pun, har) she'd learned the hard way not to fiddle with other people's feelings just for the sake of her own feelings would have taken hold... but nope. Run off into the forest and cause the literal end of the world because you had a bad day, Mabel. That's character development, right? :facepalm:
Not arguing about the development (mostly because I agree), just saying that some of the Mabel-centric episodes were amongst the best (The Hand that Rocks the Mabel, Irrational Treasure, Boyz Crazy, etc...) Though I would argue that the crux of the "Mabel loses development" problem in Vs The Future is that they needed the twin's situation to mirror both of their great uncle's in order to show that they had a healthier relationship than Stan and Stanford, who almost fucked things up just as bad as Mabel did in Weirdmageddon 3 when neither of them were willing to forgive each other. If that hadn't been the story they were going for, Mabel's move would have been even more out of left field. As it is, it only makes sense in the context of what happened to Stan and Stanford.

As for Dipper, Mabel, and Waddles... without the time machine, Dipper wouldn't have had a chance with Wendy anyways because he was supposed to hit her in the face with the baseball. It's only by changing the timeline and messing with Mabel that he could get what he wanted, and he only did that after Mabel and Waddles spent a subjectively large amount of time bonding together thanks to the time travel. If anything, he was messing with Mabel hours (subjective time) after bonding with Waddles, which is the literal equivalent of giving a kid a puppy and taking it away forever a few hours later. That's a pretty cruel thing to do, especially since Dipper had all summer to ask Wendy out.

None of which explains why they didn't just get Stan, Soos, or one of Mabel's friends to win Waddles for her so she could help Dipper AND have the damn pig. WHY DO I LOVE THIS SHOW IF IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!?

GasBandit

Staff member
Not arguing about the development (mostly because I agree), just saying that some of the Mabel-centric episodes were amongst the best (The Hand that Rocks the Mabel, Irrational Treasure, Boyz Crazy, etc...) Though I would argue that the crux of the "Mabel loses development" problem in Vs The Future is that they needed the twin's situation to mirror both of their great uncle's in order to show that they had a healthier relationship than Stan and Stanford, who almost fucked things up just as bad as Mabel did in Weirdmageddon 3 when neither of them were willing to forgive each other. If that hadn't been the story they were going for, Mabel's move would have been even more out of left field. As it is, it only makes sense in the context of what happened to Stan and Stanford.

As for Dipper, Mabel, and Waddles... without the time machine, Dipper wouldn't have had a chance with Wendy anyways because he was supposed to hit her in the face with the baseball. It's only by changing the timeline and messing with Mabel that he could get what he wanted, and he only did that after Mabel and Waddles spent a subjectively large amount of time bonding together thanks to the time travel. If anything, he was messing with Mabel hours (subjective time) after bonding with Waddles, which is the literal equivalent of giving a kid a puppy and taking it away forever a few hours later. That's a pretty cruel thing to do, especially since Dipper had all summer to ask Wendy out.

None of which explains why they didn't just get Stan, Soos, or one of Mabel's friends to win Waddles for her so she could help Dipper AND have the damn pig. WHY DO I LOVE THIS SHOW IF IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!?
Or, you know, just steal the pig from Pacifica. I doubt that would be prevented by their ever-more-flexible moral compass :p I mean, she later would go on to steal love potion from an actual deity.

Furthermore on the subject of Waddles, when Waddles eats the "smart" potion off Dipper's head while he sleeps, and suddenly undergoes rapid intellect growth, Mabel would rather have Waddles revert back to a dumb animal rather than accept/adapt to who he becomes.

Really, it all boils down to Mabel being incapable of dealing with change, and having a meltdown whenever she doesn't get what she wants. I could have forgiven it if the final episode's "trial" had Mabel come to the conclusion herself - and you can see she realizes it from her body language - but she continues to steadfastly deny everything and play dumb until Dipper has to drop the truth bomb on her AND reverse his decision to apprentice under Ford so that Mabel can once again get what she wants instead of him (his sacrificing his desires for hers is a recurring theme through the whole series that she reciprocates all of one time).

And yeah, I'm also not a fan of how suddenly the grunkles became 100x more petty (Ford) and petulant (Stan) in the final episode. It was done so that the "twins" parallel/comparison across the generations could be furthered, but it felt forced.

But when even Stan has been shown to be able to sacrifice more than you, and Gideon (of all people) shows more character growth than you, maybe there's something seriously fucked up with you.

I don't know if the Hands of Time are the most devious villains in Ninjago so far...or if Wu was just really fucking stupid for fighting one of them alone despite having access to SIX elemental warriors.

fade

Staff member
Well. I tried Spaceballs the animated series. RIP Mel Brooks. Oh I know he's not dead, but his work is.

Well. I tried Spaceballs the animated series. RIP Mel Brooks. Oh I know he's not dead, but his work is.
Mel Brooks has focused most of his attention in the last few years on doing stage stuff (The Producers, Young Frankenstein), which are both good shows, and on doing TV/voice over work. The only things he actually did for Spaceballs: The Animated series were voice Skroob/Yogurt and help write the first episode (the retelling of Spaceballs one). He actually wasn't that involved with it.

I also find it incredibly funny that Spaceballs has a cheap cash-in animated series. That's like... the ULTIMATE meta-joke about the movie and Star Wars as a whole.

But yes, don't watch it. It's awful. Maybe keep an eye out for Blazing Samurai in august though.

GasBandit

Staff member
6-to-12, it's going to be cheaply animated in flash and be more in the vein of Teen Titans GO! than the original show, mostly in order to get a network.
I hope not. You may be right, but Steven Spielberg has yet to burn me like Sam Register has. Of course, given that Sam Register is the President of Warner Bros Animation, and we are literally talking about the Warner Brothers (And the Warner Sister), that may bode ill. But I hope Spielberg has the clout to overrule the cancer that killed CN.

fade

Staff member
They'll be wearing space-visors and have a themed vehicle and a drink with their pictures on it.
And they will always be wearing that "edgy" grimace they put on right after saying words like "Rad!"

--Patrick
The original would've done that--as a parody skit.

As long as they don't replace the Warner's original VAs without asking them if their busy first, I'm golden. Seriously Warner Brothers studio would run RED with the blood of executives.

As long as they don't replace the Warner's original VAs without asking them if their busy first, I'm golden. Seriously Warner Brothers studio would run RED with the blood of executives.
ps they will(because the talent will want the money reflecting their ability) they will write it off as some bizarre reason like they didnt want to make the drive everyday.

ps they will(because the talent will want the money reflecting their ability) they will write it off as some bizarre reason like they didnt want to make the drive everyday.
*SCREAMING INTERALLY*-yeah that is a possibility.

ROOSTER TEETH ANIMATION SEGUE-does Rooster Teeth's video service act RIDICULOUSLY slow for anyone else, or is it just me? Because dammit I pay 5 bucks to see their amazing shows early every month SOLELY so no-one on Tumblr spoils it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hrm. I hadn't caught this.

Dan Harmon got divorced between Season 2 and Season 3 of Rick and Morty. So the final end credits placard changed for Season 3.