[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

GasBandit

Staff member
In case anybody else (like me) was a sucker and went out and did stuff all yesterday and thus missed out on Rick and Morty Season 3 episode 1...

Get it while it's hot.

tumblr_onrgeeRgp41u61ys2o2_1280.png

(Dipper and Mabel from Gravity Falls, as Mortys, in the most recent episode. Alex Hirsch (Creator of Gravity Falls) is a big fan of Rick and Morty)

But if the sauce comes back, what will be Rick's character motivation in the future?

Also I'm really annoyed that they did the whole "interrogate him in his mind" thing because now it means we're gonna have a million lame "what if rick is still trapped in his mind and this is all just a fantasy" fan theories.

But if the sauce comes back, what will be Rick's character motivation in the future?

Also I'm really annoyed that they did the whole "interrogate him in his mind" thing because now it means we're gonna have a million lame "what if rick is still trapped in his mind and this is all just a fantasy" fan theories.
But you could have that fan theory since the last time he was stuck in a simulation with the dumb aliens who wanted his special fuel. Or that they're still in a dream from the second episode of season 1.

But you could have that fan theory since the last time he was stuck in a simulation with the dumb aliens who wanted his special fuel. Or that they're still in a dream from the second episode of season 1.
Or the on-going theory that this version of the Rick and Morty household is just another alternate universe after Rick's abandoned them at least once before, but it's one that is close to his home one.

I'm really glad they did the whole "buried myself in the backyard" bit because it at least shows that despite being utterly disposable, we should care about other universe versions of the cast because they have emotions, needs, and pain like everyone else. So even if this IS just another replacement family, they still matter.

Or the on-going theory that this version of the Rick and Morty household is just another alternate universe after Rick's abandoned them at least once before, but it's one that is close to his home one.

I'm really glad they did the whole "buried myself in the backyard" bit because it at least shows that despite being utterly disposable, we should care about other universe versions of the cast because they have emotions, needs, and pain like everyone else. So even if this IS just another replacement family, they still matter.
Likewise; I appreciate that it's not just "write ourselves out of a corner" but has consequences.

I can't see this being another replacement since Morty identified himself by his timeline ID.

Thought it was funny that "radicalizing a Summer" was a crime for the Council of Ricks.

Those are dumb too. I'm not saying all fan theories are dumb, but "it was all in his head/it's a dream/it's a hallucination" ones almost always are.

I mean they said it was happening and it was by Jhonen, then a trailer with Zim and Gir appeared. REALLY hoping for sarcasm here, otherwise its a continuation without the original creator.

I just finished Teen Titans - The Judas Contract. This is by far my favorite Titans movie to date. I'm digging the animation and this one was darker and more violent than the others. I can't wait to see more of these.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm kinda curious as to why it's his character motivation now. I mean, what kind of bullshit reasons are there for why the smartest mind in the universe can't come up with a way to get a mass produced sauce? (Yes, I know it's a joke, but...) They live in an infinite multiverse, time travel exists, Rick seems to be able to make just about anything, etc.

Morty: Why can't you just make your own sauce, Rick?

Rick: It's not the *burp* same, Morty. You could have the same chemical makeup but the *belch* psychological impact is completely different. The brain knows, Morty. The brain knows.

Morty: Then why not just force McDonald's to make more?

Rick: Really? *burp* You want me to take on a multinational food conglomerate? *cough* I took down an alien government, but there's no way I'm fighting McDonald's. *belch* Except as a last resort.

GasBandit

Staff member
They live in an infinite multiverse
I just want to note something that came up in a link sometime in the past when we were all discussing Rick and Morty - while they do live in a multiverse that purports to be infinite, it seems like Rick's ability to search it is limited. Hence, when they get their do-over after cronenberging dimension C-137, Rick says "we can only do this 3, maybe 4 times." In an infinite multiverse, there should be infinite places they get "do overs"... but apparently there's a limit (perhaps technological?) to Rick's capabilities to perceive, search, and sort through those alternate realities.

figmentPez

Staff member
I just want to note something that came up in a link sometime in the past when we were all discussing Rick and Morty - while they do live in a multiverse that purports to be infinite, it seems like Rick's ability to search it is limited. Hence, when they get their do-over after cronenberging dimension C-137, Rick says "we can only do this 3, maybe 4 times." In an infinite multiverse, there should be infinite places they get "do overs"... but apparently there's a limit (perhaps technological?) to Rick's capabilities to perceive, search, and sort through those alternate realities.
That thought had crossed my mind. I couldn't remember the rules. Then I remembered that they don't have to find a reality where McDonald's is still selling the sauce, there's a buttworld, so why not just find a planet where there are pools of the sauce everywhere?

That thought had crossed my mind. I couldn't remember the rules. Then I remembered that they don't have to find a reality where McDonald's is still selling the sauce, there's a buttworld, so why not just find a planet where there are pools of the sauce everywhere?
For the same reason he doesn't just whip up a batch. It's too easy. There's no thrill of the hunt. No rush of endorphins when you finally snag your quarry. The brain knows.

It might not even be a technological issue: we've already seen what happens when you fuck with time and uncertainty, spawning additional multiverses. They needed outside intervention to fix that because Rick sure as hell didn't know what he was doing and that came from what is essentially an omniscient space testicle. So it could simply be an issue of there being unable to be too many too similar universes existing at the same time without throwing the entire multiverse under the bus and it's just a hard limit on reality.

fade

Staff member
If they were following actual "multiverse" theory, the opposite would be true. The theory is that while all dimensions are infinite, the 4 we regularly perceive are the largest in terms of bounds. In other words, the other faces of reality (because multiple realities are just a thought crutch to perceive something our brains aren't set up for. There's one universe, it just has multiple facets. Like taking a cube and slicing it into square sections so that a 2D person would be capable of understanding it as multiple squares) aren't very different from this one. It's like the difference between 1 and 2 versus 1 and 100. There are infinite subdivisions of each difference, but the absolute difference is not the same.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just finished Teen Titans - The Judas Contract. This is by far my favorite Titans movie to date. I'm digging the animation and this one was darker and more violent than the others. I can't wait to see more of these.
I watched this last night.

Overall, I'd say it's not bad, but there were some nits I really gotta pick.

The inconstancy of the framerate on the characters, for one. Most of the fight/action scenes were pretty good, but the scene early on where Dick Grayson slides around in his chair before the computer console that blends CGI with hand drawn REALLY draws attention to the fact that there, and in several more scenes, the animators couldn't be arsed to draw more than 3 or 4 frames per second. This is particularly jarring now, in a world where 60fps is quickly becoming standard. It'd be nice if these guys could have at least not phoned it in so bad that they couldn't bother with a uniform "cinematic" 24.

Terra's character arc is not particularly compelling to me. But that's probably just me. I didn't like it in the Teen Titans show 10+ years ago, either. But here, the petulant emo is cranked up so high it almost feels like satire.

I still don't like some of the new voice actors, but I think I said that back when I talked about Teen Titans vs Justice League a few months ago. I think they got Raven's casting particularly wrong.

That said, there were definitely things I saw I liked.

Damian's a lot better now that he's not trying so hard to be a dickface (Terra takes that role though :p). In general, for everybody, the angst is dialed down a notch and it seems a lot more palatable, and the interpersonal relationship stuff is also much improved. Nightwing and Starfire's relationship continues to be played for comedy relief (which I like), and the movie definitely benefits from only having to worry about one origin story (and that handled with a minimum of screen time via intermittent flashbacks and only one monologue) so the story's pacing is where it needs to be. Deathstroke got one of the best "Oh, shit" lines I've seen in a while.

So, to sum up, a solid B. Better than Teen Titans vs Justice League... but still not Trouble in Tokyo :D

Hence, when they get their do-over after cronenberging dimension C-137, Rick says "we can only do this 3, maybe 4 times." In an infinite multiverse, there should be infinite places they get "do overs"... but apparently there's a limit (perhaps technological?) to Rick's capabilities to perceive, search, and sort through those alternate realities.
I think that was just supposed to be a meta joke about how it was a cheap copout.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have been rewatching the old 2001 Justice League series. It takes a few episodes to find its footing, but man, around "Injustice for All" it starts getting damn good. Reminds me of how good the DCAU can be, after all the bad live action movies and mediocre direct-to-DVD movies. Character development. Great dialog. Believable plot. Crossovers galore. MMMngh. Yeah.

Of course, it's not perfect. Continuity errors GALORE, most glaringly of all that the "Injustice Gang" episodes are all out of order, almost backwards. In "Fury," Shade, or maybe Copperhead, I forget, comments "Sure beats working for Luthor" when it will actually be 2 more episodes before they are first assembled under Luthor as the "Injustice Gang." Which makes it even more gobsmacking that in "The Brave and the Bold," which airs BEFORE "Fury," when Shade is first introduced to Grodd's Secret Society, he says "I get it, you're trying to form another Injustice Gang. It won't work. I've seen it tried. TWICE." /facepalm.

But even with that huge mistake included and the somewhat dated animation (a series will always have lower animation quality than a movie after all), JL is by far one of the best things to come out of DC since the original "Batman:TAS," the only other thing that is in the same ballpark is Flashpoint Paradox.

I don't know if I want to keep going into Justice League Unlimited. I remember it being even better, but I dunno if I can watch 3 more seasons of "even better" and then come out on the other side bereft of anything worthwhile to watch >_<

I don't know if I want to keep going into Justice League Unlimited. I remember it being even better, but I dunno if I can watch 3 more seasons of "even better" and then come out on the other side bereft of anything worthwhile to watch >_<
"Bereft" is a word used in the second-to-last episode of JLU.

Went back in time to watch The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror V since my wife had never seen it.

As I've gotten older, I've really come to appreciate Dan Castellaneta's work on this show. His delivery and timing feels so effortless at making the dumbest shit really funny.

I feel the second season of Supermansion is gearing up to be better than the first-BUT-I got a major qualm in how the big twist on episode eight...was ripped off from something else. Not something I was much of a fan of, but it was still unique to the series.