[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Riders of Berk because I finally saw the movie and now I want nothing but more of this metaseries.

And HOLY SHIT-do I want to kick Mildew in the balls.

Rewatched World's Finest, the first Batman TAS/Superman TAS crossover, for the first time in many years. Still great. It was my wife's first time seeing it and she loved it.

"Thank you, Batman. I couldn't have saved Lois without you."
"I'm aware of that."

:D

GasBandit

Staff member
Rewatched World's Finest, the first Batman TAS/Superman TAS crossover, for the first time in many years. Still great. It was my wife's first time seeing it and she loved it.

"Thank you, Batman. I couldn't have saved Lois without you."
"I'm aware of that."

:D
"Puddin!!"

"At this point, he probably is."

The kids from that "How to train your Dragon series" were apparently sixteen to eighteen in the original movie/show? Um...no. No and no. Even Snotlout looked like, 14. And were there only five damn teenagers in the whole village?

The kids from that "How to train your Dragon series" were apparently sixteen to eighteen in the original movie/show? Um...no. No and no. Even Snotlout looked like, 14. And were there only five damn teenagers in the whole village?
These were the only five that we cared about.
Weren't there other "fanboi" teens that were milling on the dock when Stoick & Co returned from their journey?

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Justice League: Gods and Monsters

I was pumped for this a year and a half ago when that short teaser with the redheaded wonder woman came out, and then promptly forgot all about it. Finally watched it tonight.

All in all it's not a BAD movie, but this was a story that needed more than 75 minutes. They're trying to cram multiple origin stories, a mystery, a conflict, and a climax all into a space of time 15+ minutes shorter than most cinematic endeavors.

Basically, it's a big what-if in an alternate universe where Superman is Zod's son, not Jor-El's, Wonder Woman is Bekka, a New God of New Genesis, and Kirk Langstrom is Batman, but a science-created vampire instead of gadgeteer-martial artist. The three of them make up this universe's "Justice League," which plays a lot rougher than the one we're used to - they're not shy with lethal force.

In fact, nobody is; the direct-to-DVD nature of this feature means that the movie doesn't have to abide by the TV-PG limitations that limited the vanilla incarnations. People are shot, stabbed, cut, burned, melted and crushed to death on-screen, complete with bloody mess. It makes for a refreshing change, and lets the viewer know that the kid gloves are definitely off here - but maybe not one for the kids of single-digit age.

But as I said, there's not enough screen time to get to everything. With all the aforementioned content being crammed in, there's barely enough time for a shadowy conspiracy to form before it's all out in the open. This is the kind of thing that needed, I thought, at least a miniseries of possibly around 12 half hour episodes. Maybe 8.

Also, it seems to me the audience for this film is rather narrowly defined. There's lots of name-dropping and "important" bit parts for characters who are not positively identified as who they are supposed to be. I mean, yeah, just about everybody knows who "Victor Fries" is but I had to look up Will Magnus after the movie given that he and the Metal Men haven't really had any presence in the DCAU, which is 80% of my DC Comics wheelhouse. I'm not as knowledgeable in the print medium, by comparison, and I suspect there are many people out there like me. It was that way, too, with some of the other small roles - I didn't even recognize Kimiyo Hoshi for who she was (Dr. Light). Notice I'm dropping a lot of names here? So does the movie, and it's a little hard to keep up. I think a miniseries would have made for a more accessible narrative and the opportunity to flesh out characters and details.

The artwork and animation are fantastic, though, the action sequences are good and overall the production quality is high.

I'd like to say I enjoyed the movie more than JL: Doom or JL: War, but the aforementioned pacing issue really makes you wonder what might have been if they'd been able to slow down and flesh out the story. It could have been another Flashpoint Paradox - but then, that movie wasn't as far removed from "normal" JL stuff and as such didn't need as much worldbuilding, and it STILL got 6 more minutes of runtime.

So yeah, might be worth watching if you stumble across it one day, but by no means is it a "must see" a la FP.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah, so this is how the Archer people are going to buy time to figure out how to get out of the corner they wrote themselves into at the end of season 7.

Ah, so this is how the Archer people are going to buy time to figure out how to get out of the corner they wrote themselves into at the end of season 7.
I wouldn't even call it a corner. Cyborg, clone, etc... there are dozens of ways to get Archer out of that and ALL would be equally awful.

GasBandit

Staff member
Pretty sure its just gonna be a season long coma fantasy.
That is my suspicion as well.

I wouldn't even call it a corner. Cyborg, clone, etc... there are dozens of ways to get Archer out of that and ALL would be equally awful.
Yeah, but they already lampshaded and subverted that. They really went out of their way to show "this is the actual Sterling Archer and he's really damn dead."

figmentPez

Staff member
The fourth episode of Bee and Puppycat hit me like an emotional sack of bricks. I was just stunned by the end of it. I'm not even sure why, but holy cow that was a lot happening in a single episode.

Adult Swim is doing a repeat marathon of the first ep of season 3 of Rick and Morty, but they labeled everything as normal as a joke so there's a chance y'all missed it.

Adult Swim is doing a repeat marathon of the first ep of season 3 of Rick and Morty, but they labeled everything as normal as a joke so there's a chance y'all missed it.
And that's after putting googly eyes on everything all day on the channel. I wonder if they are just going to midnight or what though.