[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

http://nintendowire.com/blog/2017/02/09/castlevania-netflix-show-details-emerge/

I am stupidly excited for this. The Castlevania show will be R-rated (why?), based on 3 (AWESOME!) and cites Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Young Justice as influences.

I fucking love Castlevania 3. It's probably still the hardest game I've ever beaten. Got it for Christmas in 1990 (I think, could be 91) and played the fucking shit out of it for a month straight.

Why R-rated though? Honestly, I don't expect it to be good, but I want it. I want it so bad.

GasBandit

Staff member
Why R-rated though?
Probably violence/gore, but here's hoping for vampire boobies.[DOUBLEPOST=1486662821,1486662792][/DOUBLEPOST]
The Castlevania series will be rated R, will be “in the vein of Game of Thrones”, and counts Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Young Justice as its inspirations.
Vampire boobs confirmed?

Castlevania as a series is so dopey that I just can't see it as R-rated.

It's basically old barbarian dude versus the Universal monsters.

GasBandit

Staff member
Castlevania as a series is so dopey that I just can't see it as R-rated.
Well yeah, it got dopey, but back in the 80s, it was pretty much as grimdark as a nintendo game could get. Castlevania 2. First playthrough took forever. "Wait, I die anyway?! But I won!!"

Well yeah, it got dopey, but back in the 80s, it was pretty much as grimdark as a nintendo game could get. Castlevania 2. First playthrough took forever. "Wait, I die anyway?! But I won!!"
Nah, it started silly. The first game is all about Universal monsters. The credits sequence is about as dumb as it gets.

Lego Ninjago: Masters of Beyblade

Because Satan dammit I have been absorbing SO MUCH of the fucking Arrowverse I need a superhero show that is light hearted for fuck's sake! AND HONESTLY-I like it, unabashed TMNT theme stealer or not!

Lego Ninjago: Masters of Beyblade

Because Satan dammit I have been absorbing SO MUCH of the fucking Arrowverse I need a superhero show that is light hearted for fuck's sake! AND HONESTLY-I like it, unabashed TMNT theme stealer or not!
I just sent that trailer to my wife. And then (I'm in blue):

ninjagosee.gif

--Patrick

Smells like office politics to me.
Oh it in-SANE-ly is, Justice League Action is given a shitty 7:30 timeslot with NO televised adverts because CN doesn't make as much money through DC owned properties. The reason "Teen Titans Go!" is so spammed is because its too cheaply animated and too colorful NOT to be profitable, even for a show they only half own.

Oh it in-SANE-ly is, Justice League Action is given a shitty 7:30 timeslot with NO televised adverts because CN doesn't make as much money through DC owned properties. The reason "Teen Titans Go!" is so spammed is because its too cheaply animated and too colorful NOT to be profitable, even for a show they only half own.
They also needed to spam the show to get it's ratings up. It gets absolutely killed when you compare it to new episodes of Adventure Time or Steven Universe, so they put it on ALL THE TIME to improve it's TOTAL VIEWERSHIP and thus justify it's place in the line-up. This is sort of like what they did with Johnny Test: super cheap to make, always profitable, so it gets spammed.

Very true. ONTO NINJAGO-I feel so fucking sad for General Scales, Lord Garmadon is the WORST evil strategist, and for some reason only he realizes it because every other Serpentine is an idiot! He's like Starscream, if he was actually right!

Last edited:
Okay holy crap I'm loving Ninjago more than I thought I would, its got that campy toy show feel, but in the second season you actually FEEL like they might lose. The main bad guy isn't just some stock idiot like last season, he's actually a real strategist, and the good guys lost-A LOT during this season.

Edit: WHAT MUST'VE HAPPENED IN THE WRITING ROOM FOR SEASON 3:

Writer A: Hm, we got new weapons, new vehicles, two spooky main villains who look actually intimidating,what else do we need?

Writer B: Well OBVIOUSLY we need to make a love triangle between Nya, Jay, and Cole, OBVIOUSLY!

Writer A:...that...that is not what we need! Plus Cole and Nya barely had any chemistry at all-

Writer B: TOO LATE-its happening! Gotta fill out 13 9 episodes some how!

Writer A: UGH!

Last edited:
Is this your first time through?
...cuz it does move from Sell Lego Sets With Silly Cartoons into Hey Let's Try And Tell A Story pretty quickly.

--Patrick
It is, and I'm loving it(minus the garbage love triangle that I hate).

ALSO-I knew this show would have a lot in common with TMNT, but not expecting the GOOD parts, such as how they keep destroying stupid toy additions in one episode and them never coming back, just like in the 1987 show. Seriously, that shit happened a LOT!

Last edited:
Writer A: Okay, we gotta accept it, Cole is fucking boring. I feel we should focus more on his role in the team and-

Writer B: Make him a ghost.

Writer A:...that....sounds too random.

Writer B: Look man I admit the love triangle sucked, but I am NOT wasting too much time making Cole interesting. Let's just make him a ghost, easy job for all of us

Writer A:...okay yeah that is easiest, I mean we've all ready spent so much time on our Han Solo rip-off character's arc.

And finished that season, WHICH despite starting out shakey with the ninja being whiney bitches, it ended up great(and dear LORD was I glad to see Morro get his ass kicked). Also while I feel Cole becoming a ghost was a...REALLY transparent way to make him more interesting, I dig it. NOW TO WATCH THE FINAL SEASON-

*Several internet searches later*

SO-it appears its not on CN's website, NOR any good streaming service. Gotta watch it on friggin' Kisscartoon like a peasant-MY LIFE IS WORSE THAN ANYONE ELSES!

*Cricket noise, cricket noise*

Okay I'm going again-ON TONIGHT'S MIGHTY MAGISWORDS-they do a straight up parody of "Space Jam" and it was fucking hilarious.

That Murray Williams bit was just brilliant. STILL-feel this episode primarily exists because of Cartoon Network's annoying Basketball fetish, but I feel they did it in a clever way. As long as wrestling stays away, THE WORLD DID NOT NEED ANOTHER JETSONS FILM! LET THAT STAY DEAD!

Watched Star vs. the F.o.E. to catch up (haven't watched since "Spider with a top hat") and after I digested what I saw I came up with some theories:

1. Toffee will get his body back with the help of his finger Star found in her wand. A literal middle finger he left behind.
  2. The way how much Queen Eclipsa was build up has a character with bad history, she will play a big part for upcoming episodes, no doubt. I think it will be revealed that Toffee is her son ( he is immortal after all) she had with the monster she ran away with.
  3. Toffee's goal is either to become king of Mewni himself since he sees himself as the rightful heir to the throne or to free his mother from the crystal we saw in "Crystal Clear".
some random thoughts that don't need a spoiler tag:

"Naysaya" felt a lot like a dropped Gravity Falls script.

So, Marco forgot the password for his computer in "Running with Scissors", understandable considering what happened. Will there be other consequences in later episode?

I love the world building they do with the episodes and it's amazing with what they get away with, especially the stuff Janna says and does. I love the music playing in "Raid the cave" and "Baby". The whole musical score of the show is great.

Agree to ALL of those theories, I'm also betting he wasn't originally evil. Like, maybe he just wanted a piece of the giant Mewni pie, but because he was a monster they wouldn't listen to him?

Could be. We only saw one point of view on a tapestry but what we know about the people of Mewni and their view on monsters it is a possibility.