Former President Trump Thread

fade

Staff member
Man anheiser-busch, the bluest of blue collar beer just aired a super bowl ad that was clearly anti trump ban. That's some thing.

Man anheiser-busch, the bluest of blue collar beer just aired a super bowl ad that was clearly anti trump ban. That's some thing.
Alt-reich is trying to start a boycott of Budweiser. I'm sure that'll work as well as their other boycotts.

Meanwhile, this is probably not news to some of you, but I only saw it just now:

Sheeeeeeesh.

Dave

Staff member
The ad has been in production for almost a year. It is not anti-anyone. But the fact that an ad talking about inclusiveness and the positive role that immigrants have played in American history comes across as anti-Trump says a WHOLE LOT about Trump.

The ad has been in production for almost a year. It is not anti-anyone. But the fact that an ad talking about inclusiveness and the positive role that immigrants have played in American history comes across as anti-Trump says a WHOLE LOT about Trump.
The historical accuracy of German (and Irish) immigrants being greeted with hostility was a nice touch. It really should have been a story of American success and triumph. Any inbred moron who sees that and gets offended is the problem, not the commercial itself.

The Doomsday Clock is at two and a half minutes to midnight. Closer than any time during the Reagan era.
This is an amazing insight into the history of Nuclear Weapons and the political decisions they inspired: Hardcore History - The Destroyer of Worlds

It's over 5 hours long. It has almost nothing about the development of them (that's fine, that's not the focus) but goes in-depth into the mindsets of those who were the political leaders at the time, with lots of great direct quotes both from them and people close to them. Not a short listen as I said, but really amazing. In particular, the TAPES that Kennedy made (called the ExComm tapes often) showing what people ACTUALLY SAID in those meetings are fascinating.

Basically, after listening to that, putting the clock anywhere near where it was for the Cuban Missile Crisis is sensationalizing our current climate to a dangerous degree. Putting equivalents on them is insane. Anybody alive then was literally minutes away from Armageddon, and not in a symbolic way like the clock. During that crisis, it should have been set to 23:59:59.

Is it still a danger now? Of course it is, but putting it too close to the 50s and 60s is just wrong IMO.

FYI: Clock on Wikipedia, including history of it.

I think that's a textual way of showing this:

In particular, I mean how each side constructs "totems" (or Straw Man, same thing) of the other. Regardless of how "not right" the totem is, both do it, feeding into the loop even more. As the Sykes article says, anything not feeding into your "side's" narrative is "fake news" by both sides.

One side more fake news than the other? Sure, but to those ON the sides, it's 100% each way. So their responses are IMO virtually the same.

See that little field under my portrait that says "Location"? If it's blank, I assume USA. Some other people I know where they're at. You I do not.
But I talk about about coming from Toronto - and yell back at you when you insult the city - and just recently responded when you asked if anybody near London, Ontario had heard of people accidently flying there instead of London, England.

I'm a little hurt that none of that has stuck in your mind.

But I talk about about coming from Toronto - and yell back at you when you insult the city - and just recently responded when you asked if anybody near London, Ontario had heard of people accidently flying there instead of London, England.

So you're the Belgian guy right?

Fair enough, though considering how self-centered Torontonians are, I guess it's easy to conflate you with Americans.

*ducks away from from nearly everybody else on the board*

;)

j/k?

GasBandit

Staff member
Huh, I thought it was a motorcycle with 4 auxiliary colored headlights in the rain.
Heh, better than mine... I thought it was, like, a concert stage or maybe a hubble telescope image or something. I just never bothered looking very closely.

Necronic

Staff member
Basically, after listening to that, putting the clock anywhere near where it was for the Cuban Missile Crisis is sensationalizing our current climate to a dangerous degree.
I agree with this to a point. I remember one story from the Cuban missile crisis that Kruschev was legitimately afraid that the IS would start throwing missiles around based on some of the letters he wrote. Things were *really* close back then.

That said the Cuban Missile Crisis was also the culmination of decades of relatively rational escalation between two very fundamentally opposed and established sides. The difference now is that there's no feeling that the escalation would be rational in the slightest, which is kind of terrifying, and the sides are not particularly established seeming to sway wildly every few years.

Last edited:
I agree with this to a point. I remember one story from the Cuban missile crisis that Kruschev was legitimately afraid that the IS would start throwing missiles around based on some of the letters he wrote. Things were *really* close back then.

That said the Cuban Missile Crisis was also the culmination of decades of relatively rational escalation between two very fundamentally opposed and established sides.
If it interests you enough, listen to that podcast. Superbly done, and worth it, and offers even more for that crisis than only "rational escalation" as you put it. I think you're right, but I think there's even more to the description, and how large a role "reading" the other person may have played in it as well as what you said.
The difference now is that there's no feeling that the escalation would be rational in the slightest, which is kind of terrifying.
On that I'll agree, though I guess it depends on the person on which is more terrifying, certainly damned fucking close (Cuban Missile Crisis), or uncertainly near or far (Now, depending on whom you believe)? That might be the more valid comparison.

And for anybody uncertain that it was terrifyingly close in '62, the tapes I mentioned in a previous post PROVE that 100% of Kennedy's military advisors were saying "start nuclear war" to him. I'm not going to say that Kennedy was a saint, but holy crap that'd be a hard position to be in. That most of us were even born to discuss it is a testament to how much restraint he had.

Reactions: JCM
"Thirteen Days" is a movie that imho shows the situation in 1962 very well. I was mesmerized by the story and forgot that there wasn't a nuclear war.

And then there's "Blast from the Past", almost the same. :)