[Handheld] The Steam Deck

My new power bank arrived and I don’t get the dreaded slow charging message using it!
You know, even though the power bank I use only outputs at 20W and gets the slow charging message, I've found it's still more than capable of powering the steam deck. It simply won't charge the battery to full -and- play games at the same time, plugging it in and playing games while on the charger causes the battery to stay at the same level

figmentPez

Staff member
Do any of you know how to use community controller configurations?

There is a new game that just came out that I’d like to get, but needs one of these configurations
If it's a Steam game it should be pretty easy (non-Steam games can be a little more difficult, but it's still possible in many cases).

Since Steam OS 3.0 changed a lot of the interface, I don't know the exact steps, but I have used community configurations for several games. The hardest parts are figuring out which layout you want to use, which is tied into figuring out how the layout works. Unfortunately there's no real rating system beyond how many hours people have played using them, and there's not much way for layout creators to annotate their control schemes. The whole system could be a lot better, but as it is it's not hard to just slap something in place and try it out.

Go into controller settings, and then I think you're looking for "explore worshorkshop layouts". From there it should show you a list of all the Steam Deck layouts (and you can optionally show layouts for all controller types), you can then preview them, and apply whatever looks good.

I know that's kinda vague in terms of instructions, but I think I can help more with specific issues/questions.

Last edited:
You know, even though the power bank I use only outputs at 20W and gets the slow charging message, I've found it's still more than capable of powering the steam deck. It simply won't charge the battery to full -and- play games at the same time, plugging it in and playing games while on the charger causes the battery to stay at the same level
I got this one in the hopes that it would keep me going for one of my long work flights/travel days.

I kept the other one with the higher capacity as we have a lot of power outages and it will keep outlet phones going a long time.
Post automatically merged:

If it's a Steam game it should be pretty easy (non-Steam games can be a little more difficult, but it's still possible in many cases).

Since Steam OS 3.0 changed a lot of the interface, I don't know the exact steps, but I have used community configurations for several games. The hardest parts are figuring out which layout you want to use, which is tied into figuring out how the layout works. Unfortunately there's no real rating system beyond how many hours people have played using them, and there's not much way for layout creators to annotate their control schemes. The whole system could be a lot better, but as it is it's not hard to just slap something in place and try it out.

Go into controller settings, and then I think you're looking for "explore worshorkshop layouts". From there it should show you a list of all the Steam Deck layouts (and you can optionally show layouts for all controller types), you can then preview them, and apply whatever looks good.

I know that's kinda vague in terms of instructions, but I think I can help more with specific issues/questions.
Thank you. I appreciate that. There is a new game that I am super interested in and I would need to figure this out to play it on the Steam Deck.

figmentPez

Staff member
A feature that users have been begging for since the Steam Deck came out has been added to the Steam Deck beta: The ability to set the resolution of the OS when using an external monitor, and automatic avoidance of 30Hz modes.

For those that don't know why this is an issue, when the Steam Deck is connected to an external display, it automatically chose the highest possible resolution reported by the display / dock / device chain. This included choosing 4K 30Hz resolutions when connected to either TVs or hubs that couldn't do 4K 60Hz or better. Because Steam OS scales all the games it runs in game mode to the resolution of the display, this meant that people connecting to a 4K 30Hz external device were then stuck at 30Hz for everything, even when running games at a much lower resolution.

This update also fixes problems with using mice in gaming mode, issues with formatting SD cards, and other stuff. Other recent updates improved the responsiveness of the on-screen keyboard. Overall, Valve is making some good improvements to the Steam Deck.