[Handheld] The Steam Deck

Guess whose Steam Deck came in a day early! Mine!

steamdeck.jpg

I've now spent about 5 hours with this thing, which is not at all enough time to give it a review, but I can give you my thoughts.

First, the hardware on this thing is honestly pretty impressive, for a handheld*. See that asterisk? Assume that any time I mention how impressive the hardware is, it's in relation to it being in a small and relatively light form factor. This thing will not replace a high end gaming PC, or even a medium end gaming PC. But it will serve as a decent enough gaming PC on the go, or in bed, or just kicked back in a recliner, and that is really what makes this thing shine. Imagining being able to play Spider-Man on the bus and having it look as amazing as it does on the big screen with ray tracing and real time reflections? You are in a fantasy land, that's impossible**, certainly not at this price point. But you can play Spider-Man at 1200x900 resolution on medium settings, and on this small but sharp little screen it still looks pretty damn good, especially at 60fps.

**ok, it's kinda possible IF you have a really fast home network and are within range of that network, in which case you can stream Spider-Man or any game from your PC to the steam deck and it works pretty flawlessly. I don't have a super fast wifi network, so my image was a little compressed and text was a little blurry, but it still looked damn good, ran at a constant 60fps, and had no noticeable input lag, so if you're going to be playing this thing at home, every game on your steam library can become steam-deck approved just by streaming it from the PC.

I've also tooled around with downloading some emulators on it. Going into desktop mode, the deck itself runs SteamOS, a linux distribution, and so going into the discover window on the desktop I was easily able to download the linux version of retroarch, download some cores, download some roms, and give it a try. As expected, it works pretty fantastically for all of this, with the caveat that it will take a little time to get everything set up properly.

And therein lies the biggest flaw I can find with the deck. This is NOT a console experience. This is 100% a PC experience, with all the pros and cons that come with it. You will need to mess with configurations, you will need to experiment with configs, you will need to become familiar with steams controller abilities if you plan on playing a game that doesn't support gamepads, or if like me you hate playing a shooter with analog sticks and want to use the touchpad/gyros to aim instead. You'll also have to be comfortable with exiting out of steam and tooling around in a linux distro every now and then, and maybe even have to plug in a keyboard and mouse every now and then to really set some things up, especially since the steam desktop controls are a little wonky.

I'm going to have to spend a lot more time with this thing before I'm able to give a fully fleshed out review, but it's an impressive bit of kit. It is not, however, something you can just take out of the box and play games on, and so anyone getting one of these is going to have to keep that in mind.

Looks rad as hell, I am jelly.
majora.jpg

Majora's Mask running on retroarch. This is without setting up proper upscaling or shaders, so it looks ugly as just raw rom output, but more just proof that it works and it works well.

Having never actually used linux before (at least not in the last decade) I'll need to familiarize myself with using it as well as pick myself up a usb hub and a high capacity microsd card before I can really start to tinker around with it, but as an emulation platform this thing seems amazing.

I don't have a way to capture video off of it currently, so here's a terrible quality video taken with my phone of Death Stranding running on the deck hardware itself

So last night was my magic the gathering night, so I didn't have more than a couple hours to play around with it.

I got a few more games installed, as well as installed the full suite of emulators and tested a few of them. Overall my main takeaway is how impressed I am with Linux. Gaming on a Linux system has come a long
way. I had originally expected I would slap windows on here immediately, but the Linux OS it comes with is so light and efficient that I really don't want to bog the system down by putting bloated windows on it. And with Proton seeming to work really well compatibility is (mostly) a non issue.

Reactions: Cat
So last night was my magic the gathering night, so I didn't have more than a couple hours to play around with it.

I got a few more games installed, as well as installed the full suite of emulators and tested a few of them. Overall my main takeaway is how impressed I am with Linux. Gaming on a Linux system has come a long
way. I had originally expected I would slap windows on here immediately, but the Linux OS it comes with is so light and efficient that I really don't want to bog the system down by putting bloated windows on it. And with Proton seeming to work really well compatibility is (mostly) a non issue.
Nice, looks like there's an app for installing gog games so I'm relieved I'll be able to use it as is out of the box

I would never buy a micro sd from any third party marketplace. I don't even like to buy them on Amazon. Too many scams--scammers can update the firmware to incorrectly report the available space...They'll repurpose cheap 1 gigs to report 512gigs for instance...and after you transfer a few files, it goes tits up.

SD cards are one of the few things I'll pay higher prices for to get from the manufacturer or in store.

Are the ones sold by Amazon directly ok (vs the ones not fulfilled by Amazon) or should I avoid Amazon in general?

Thank you both for your answers. I appreciate it. I know very little about the cards.

Are the ones sold by Amazon directly ok (vs the ones not fulfilled by Amazon) or should I avoid Amazon in general?

Thank you both for your answers. I appreciate it. I know very little about the cards.
So, Amazon is terrible. And fulfilled by Amazon is a big part of the problem. They will basically bundle stuff together so stuff like this is problematic. Here's their thinking: "These are all 512gb cards by Sandisk. Sure, they all came to our warehouse from different vendors, but we're gonna put them all in a big pile of 512gb Sandisk cards. When someone orders one, we'll just pull from the pile at random, and send the money to the vendor that 'sold' it in our store". This sounds great for efficiency in the warehouse, but it allows a window for fraud. They call it "comingled inventory"

Unscrupulous people: "We'll counterfeit some 512gb cards by repurposing 1gb cards. They'll get mixed in the shuffle. Sometimes, people will get crap cards, but it won't be easily attributable to us, because they'll just come out of the random pile and no one will be able to determine where these pieces of shit actually came from"

I have bought SD cards from Amazon, but not recently. These days, I prefer to buy them in the store. It costs me more, but it lowers the risk of fraud. If I were to buy one on Amazon, I'd buy one fulfilled and shipped by the actual vendor (say, Sandisk) but that usually keeps you from getting Prime shipping.

Last edited:
Thank you, I had no idea.

I went to Best Buy in person the other day and they had sold out of the card linked earlier, so I ordered it from Best Buy online. I filtered the MarketPlace vendors out. We don’t have a ton of options out here.

The card, pink silicone case and the screw guard will be here this week. My Steam Deck is still « shipping soon » lol.

Thank you, I had no idea.

I went to Best Buy in person the other day and they had sold out of the card linked earlier, so I ordered it from Best Buy online. I filtered the MarketPlace vendors out. We don’t have a ton of options out here.

The card, pink silicone case and the screw guard will be here this week. My Steam Deck is still « shipping soon » lol.
Huh, mine arrived today, much earlier than I was expecting it

I found a new power bank on Amazon. I have a few smaller ones that were great for Pokemon Go marathons, but didn’t seem to be able to keep my Switch charged on flights.

This should be able to keep both my Steam Deck and my headphones going and isn’t massive. I have a pretty big purse :D

@Ravenpoe Any tutorials you followed to get emulators on the deck? About to start looking myself but know you were successful.
I haven't looked at them but the videos pez linked all probably work fine. I'm not using emustation, I know a few of them use that, I just used emudeck to set up the initial suite of emulators.

Just Google emudeck, follow the instructions, it will download and install everything* you need automatically as well as config settings and make all the appropriate folders.

*Some files are copyrighted and will need to be provided yourself, like the bios for ps2 and a few other emulators, or keys for switch. You can either dump these files yourself if you have the consoles and the right equipment, or "acquire" them on the internet

Modded Stardew Valley is up and running. I had never missed it before, but I wanted to try it with a different look.

It took a while as I found the desktop mode “interesting” without a mouse lol.