The <something new for god's sake> party

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

makare

What would the platform of your perfect fantasy political party be? If you are used to the Democrats and Republicans what aspects of those parties would be best combined to adequately serve the people? (also name what the people you are talking about the US or otherwise)

My party would most likely be made up of the social mores principals of the dems with some of the republican common sense about spending. I don't know how I would sort out the need for social programs.

I was just curious what your perfect party platform would be.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I have actually been fairly satisfied the governments I've lived under (Mike Harris's provincial terms not included). To be more specific, I essentially want the Liberal Party of Jean Chretien from turn of the 20th century Canada: socially progressive and fiscally sound. For example, they balanced our budget and their policies toward banking regulations (deregulation and merger issues) helped us get through this recession more easily.

Interestingly, Harris balanced the provincial budget, too, and that feat was one of the reasons Chretien balanced the federal budget, but Harris was a giant dick

Considering the relative success of the Pirate Party in.. Sweden I think, I'd imagine a party focused on preserving digital and creative freedoms would do well. It would definitely speak more to the younger generations than the Dems and Reps, which is pretty key in winning an election.

I guess I describe myself as a moderate with libertarian leanings. I would love a scientocracy, at least in part. I think we would need constitutional amendments for that, though.

I'm not a fan of the government saying anything about social principles. I prefer a smaller government but feel like our biological make-up means that individuals cannot be trusted to act in the greater interest of society either. We need a government that keeps society moving forward without directing it. It needs to be a system that is aware of what needs regulation and protection and what the proper, minimally invasive course is to do this. It also needs to be able to back off when it has become too invasive as well, requiring that the government is regularly reassessed.

I find myself siding with democrats on many things but disagreeing with them on many others. At heart, I am something of a classical conservative (small government, not social conservative) but don't think it is so black and white either. We NEED government for some things but deciding what those things are should be evidence-based. We can't rely on political minds to know what's best but to be able to gather relevant information and weight it according to the government's needs. I don't think our representatives in DC do this, unfortunately.

Finally, I would like to see businesses get their own representatives in the government. As it stands, their interests are served through closed-door meetings, one-on-one with politicians. I don't get that privilege. Businesses SHOULD have a say but that should be different from what my representative says on my behalf. It is a radical change that doesn't really fit into a "moderate" viewpoint, at least not a classical one. I want radical change to the structure of the government but I also want the government to be smaller and more efficient. In my head it makes sense, at least.

Ross

Staff member
I guess I describe myself as a moderate with libertarian leanings. I would love a scientocracy, at least in part. I think we would need constitutional amendments for that, though.

I'm not a fan of the government saying anything about social principles. I prefer a smaller government but feel like our biological make-up means that individuals cannot be trusted to act in the greater interest of society either. We need a government that keeps society moving forward without directing it. It needs to be a system that is aware of what needs regulation and protection and what the proper, minimally invasive course is to do this. It also needs to be able to back off when it has become too invasive as well, requiring that the government is regularly reassessed.

I find myself siding with democrats on many things but disagreeing with them on many others. At heart, I am something of a classical conservative (small government, not social conservative) but don't think it is so black and white either. We NEED government for some things but deciding what those things are should be evidence-based. We can't rely on political minds to know what's best but to be able to gather relevant information and weight it according to the government's needs. I don't think our representatives in DC do this, unfortunately.

Finally, I would like to see businesses get their own representatives in the government. As it stands, their interests are served through closed-door meetings, one-on-one with politicians. I don't get that privilege. Businesses SHOULD have a say but that should be different from what my representative says on my behalf. It is a radical change that doesn't really fit into a "moderate" viewpoint, at least not a classical one. I want radical change to the structure of the government but I also want the government to be smaller and more efficient. In my head it makes sense, at least.
I agree with 100% of this post eleventy-billion times.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Okay, so you know Libertarianism, right?

The OPPOSITE of that.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

but seriously, I dunno, fuck. Socially progressive with minimal bureaucracy, lots of social programs which would allow underprivileged classes a lot of upward mobility. Not being hawkish. No death penalty. Guaranteed reproductive rights. That sort of thing.

I

Iaculus

Okay, so you know Libertarianism, right?

The OPPOSITE of that.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

but seriously, I dunno, fuck. Socially progressive with minimal bureaucracy, lots of social programs which would allow underprivileged classes a lot of upward mobility. Not being hawkish. No death penalty. Guaranteed reproductive rights. That sort of thing.
You know, libertarians are also big on social freedoms. It's kind of what makes them what they are. Free-market social conservatives, on the other hand? ...Yeah. Someone needs their priorities adjusting.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Kissinger said he wants lots of social programs. Those are really quite different than social freedoms. Do libertarians like paying taxes for the benefit of others?

I

Iaculus

Kissinger said he wants lots of social programs. Those are really quite different than social freedoms. Do libertarians like paying taxes for the benefit of others?
I meant that a libertarian would be cool with the idea of equal rights for everyone, getting a great deal of things legalised (such as abortion, stem cell research, and cannabis), et cetera. Social conservatives, not so much.

If you hear the three magic words 'traditional family values', odds are you're dealing with a social conservative.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Ah, gotcha: you're just saying that Libertarian includes some things that Kissy seems to like so he's wrong in saying he'd want the exact opposite.

M

makare

I may believe some things that a libertarian believes but the intent behind that belief is completely different.

If anyone called me a libertarian I would probably hate that person for all time.

I mean there are insults.... and then there are insults.

S

Steven Soderburgin

Yeah, I was being deliberately flippant when I said the exact opposite of libertarianism.

It will never ever happen, but I would like a government that see's governance as burden, but also an obligation.

Our goverment is kind of like our healthcare system; the incentives are all wrong to get good service for everyone.

It's my favorite anime series.

I actually like Stand-Alone Complex more than the movies, because the series is more police-procedural/drama than the considerably more metaphysical-thriller aspect of the films.

M

makare

Well I guess my one attempt at making a political thread will now turn into an anime thread.. sigh... actually I am ok with that.

the tachikomas are the best part of the show! I love the little clips after. Especially when they sing about the major.. the major's bountiful thighs and HIPS thighs and HIPS. It cracked me up.

I also love the music associated with them. I have the tachikoma soundtrack and it is one of my favorites. Especially this song

It almost makes me cry :( :)

My friend Robin likes it too which is a miracle because we do not have the same musical taste. Whenever we are together we have to listen to Christmas music because that is pretty much all we can agree on lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.