The Shining

[CONTAINER][POSTER]
[/POSTER][MOVIE]Title: The Shining

Tagline: A masterpiece of modern horror.

Genre: [GENRE]Horror[/GENRE], [GENRE]Thriller[/GENRE]

Director: [DIRECTOR]Stanley Kubrick[/DIRECTOR]

Cast: [ACTOR]Jack Nicholson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Shelley Duvall[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Danny Lloyd[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Scatman Crothers[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Barry Nelson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Philip Stone[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Joe Turkel[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Anne Jackson[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Tony Burton[/ACTOR], [ACTOR]Barry Dennen[/ACTOR]

Release Date: [RELEASE]1980-05-22[/RELEASE]

Runtime: [RUNTIME]142[/RUNTIME]

Plot: [PLOT]Jack Torrance accepts a caretaker job at the Overlook Hotel, where he, along with his wife Wendy and their son Danny, must live isolated from the rest of the world for the winter. But they aren't prepared for the madness that lurks within.[/PLOT][/MOVIE][/CONTAINER]

Cajungal

Staff member
I really like this movie. It always gives me the chills. One of my summer goals is to FINALLY read the book. I bet it's even more terrifying.

Saw this movie for the first time when I was about 12, thought it was the dumbest horror movie ever. No gore, no monsters, no spectacle or huge fire, nothing. Ridiculous!

--Patrick

I really like this movie. It always gives me the chills. One of my summer goals is to FINALLY read the book. I bet it's even more terrifying.
I read the book when I was 14. Parts of it really freaked me out. It didn't help that I read some of it while sitting in my grandparents' field, totally alone, with the sound of the breeze whispering through the tall rye.

I read the book when I was 14. Parts of it really freaked me out. It didn't help that I read some of it while sitting in my grandparents' field, totally alone, with the sound of the breeze whispering through the tall rye.
When I was 13, I started to read The Stand. I got through the first few chapters, pre-"Captain Trips", sidelined it for a bit, and a few weeks later, I ended up with pneumonia for a month that required a trip to the emergency room at one point. A couple of months later I remembered I had started the book and decided to finish it. Thank all that is holy I continued reading AFTER I recovered! :aaah:

It is, but to be honest, it's more sentimental in terms of the relationship between Jack and Danny.

Cajungal

Staff member
I've heard that--and that the father's descent into madness is a lot more apparent in the book because he stars out way more normal and less like Jack Nicholson.

I've heard that--and that the father's descent into madness is a lot more apparent in the book because he stars out way more normal and less like Jack Nicholson.
That's exactly right. I just read The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson for the first time, and I'm kind of amazed how much of The Shining (the book) comes from that, including the main idea of a house being "alive" and needing someone vulnerable to exploit.

Scary? There's a part in the book that freaks me out every single time I read it. For those who haven't read the book:
Partway through, once
Wendy, who is infinitely less annoying than in the movie
has definitely realized something is up, there's a moment where she's having an internal monologue about things and suddenly it goes

party

"Now why had she thought that?..."​

That moment, perfectly expressed in the typesetting, when the hotel manages to poke into her mind just that much. Since she's very sensible and practical, she hasn't been directly affected like Danny and Jack have, so when the hotel psychically brushes up against her, so to speak,
it's one of the scariest things I've ever read.

That said, I love the movie on its own rather than as an adaptation of the book. There was a while when I couldn't allow myself to watch it if it was really late at night and I was alone. No other movie has managed to scare me like that either.