[Other] The return of the Stephen Fry Appreciation Thread

As someone who just started watching the QI series recently
Oh man you have so much hilarity and knowledge to catch up on! I envy you experiencing it all as new[DOUBLEPOST=1397534546,1397534466][/DOUBLEPOST]
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqJa0gUZrDbtYHAg_-6b6YPHUXBpXuP5m

I just ran across this on youtube, and thought I would push my gay agenda again :p
I really enjoyed this when it first came out. I endorse this thread, speaking as the Representative for All Straight Stephen Fry Appreciaters*.

*possibly a fictional position I made up after too much wine

Whenever Stephen Fry comes up, this is on the forefront of my mind.

He is such an allround great person, gotta appreciate him for everything he does!

Whenever Stephen Fry comes up, this is on the forefront of my mind.

He is such an allround great person, gotta appreciate him for everything he does!
I take issue with a few things he says there, but he is such a potent speaker. And, it's quite the debate to watch in full. Widdecombe does such a colossally awful job of making any of her points. I suppose this isn't surprising, since she seems to be quite the atrocious and sententious old woman, but I credit her bad performance more for the 'loss' of the Yes side of that debate.

I take issue with a few things he says there, but he is such a potent speaker. And, it's quite the debate to watch in full. Widdecombe does such a colossally awful job of making any of her points. I suppose this isn't surprising, since she seems to be quite the atrocious and sententious old woman, but I credit her bad performance more for the 'loss' of the Yes side of that debate.
No offense was meant to anybody by my posting, but I'm glad we agree on the speech, or his writing style, in general!

No offense was meant to anybody by my posting, but I'm glad we agree on the speech, or his writing style, in general!
Oh, no offense taken at all; did not mean to give that impression. I grew up Catholic -am now an atheist- and he just makes some (common) inaccuracies in some of his statements. I'm also not sure I think certain points are logical, but heat-of-the-moment one is likely to misspeak and he probably meant the more cogent interpretation.

Man..where was that Acropolis bit? I'm up to season J now and still haven't seen it. I remember dying for it when I first watched the show but now it seems to be gone.

Johnny Vegas has problems with the show, too
Phill Jupitus is still pissed about the horizon thing, as well.

I will say, for as tricky and cruel as the questions may be, it's been fun seeing the contestants who've been around for a while getting more and more genre savvy as the show goes on.

On a somewhat different note, you can now buy legitimate stamps featuring Tom of Finland's art*.
...they're from Finland, of course. Finland's got yer gay agendum right heah.

--Patrick
*Not to be clicking unless you are OK with viewing tasteful B&W drawings of stippled nips, mustaches, and tight buns.

Well, he's right 2/3 of the time about american comics. John Belushi, and Ben Stiller are americans. However the 3rd one he mentions, Jim Carrey, is Canadian.

Still an interesting segment. Someone might say, Quite Interesting...

Well, he's right 2/3 of the time about american comics. John Belushi, and Ben Stiller are americans. However the 3rd one he mentions, Jim Carrey, is Canadian.

Still an interesting segment. Someone might say, Quite Interesting...
Yes, but he's working in the American idiom, which includes being a part of the tapestry of that medium.

Plus, he's a dual citizen.

Is there a significant difference between Canadian humor and American humor?

Not being snarky, seriously curious.

Is there a significant difference between Canadian humor and American humor?

Not being snarky, seriously curious.
I would say there is a difference. Probably not a huge one, but I think it exists.

Compare, I dunno, "22 minutes" or Rick Mercer to Colbert? Or (the now dated) "kids in the hall" to... SNL? (I don't have any iconic clips in mind, so no youtube suggestions from me)

From what I've seen, and I'm not a connoisseur, in general Canadian humour has a healthy dash of British humour in it, moreso than south of the boarder.

Canadian humor is much more absurdist than American humor. Take Trailer Park Boys or the aforementioned Kids in the Hall. They definitely side more on the "zany" than, say, The Office or SNL.

I think one of the reasons that New Girl has not really caught on, is because the humor is more British than American. And Americans don't do British humor well. Schmidt especially, he thinks he is high class but he has no tact or sense that he is always wrong.

Canadian humor is much more absurdist than American humor. Take Trailer Park Boys or the aforementioned Kids in the Hall. They definitely side more on the "zany" than, say, The Office or SNL.
I was definitely a bigger fan of KitH than SNL (with the exception of the original SNL crew).