The Random Crap Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
Got something that's unworthy of a whole thread in and of itself, yet you wouldn't mind posting it?

Why not post it here?

I'll start.

Why is so much energy devoted to desktop appearance (i.e. wallpaper, GeekTool, Samaurize, RainMeter, etc.) when you rarely see the thing? Sure, it's impressive during startup, but then you never see it again. I've got two 23-inch LCDs, and I see maybe a centimeter or two all around. I admit, it's tempting. Every time I see a beautiful desktop on Lifehacker, I run out and customize mine, but then I think, why did I do that?

fade

Staff member
Also, I offended my entire guild in WoW the other (yes, I still play despite my rants--I'm not giving up something I paid for) night by guild-chatting "Is it wrong to yell 'Look at me! I'm Jesus!' every time I cast water walking?" Sweet.

fade said:
Also, I offended my entire guild in WoW the other (yes, I still play despite my rants--I'm not giving up something I paid for) night by guild-chatting "Is it wrong to yell 'Look at me! I'm Jesus!' every time I cast water walking?" Sweet.
Why does it bother me so much that you put your parenthetical after "other" and not after "night" (or even "WoW")? :grrr:

Q

quandofloo

Fun Size said:
In before someone posts an actual photo of a random crap.
This is the perfect place. I read your blog fairly regularly but don't comment on it because it appears that I am the only one that reads it. I just had to add something to two of the recent postings.

First, the greatest thing about being a software developer is the ability to wear jeans and random shirts whenever you feel like it. Your Taco Bell shirt is appreciated by those in your field.

Second, when I hurt my shoulder moving refrigerators and had to have surgery a few times I just started telling everyone I got shot or that I got hit by a train.

And GIS for random crap:

I have always wondered something. You know when you pay at a restaurant with a debit/credit card they have that piece of paper where you put the tip and than the new total. well what would they do if you wrote the tip as minus X amount of money and subtracted that from the total? I would like to do it as a joke just to see their reaction but I think I am to chicken to try it in real life.

hylian said:
I have always wondered something. You know when you pay at a restaurant with a debit/credit card they have that piece of paper where you put the tip and than the new total. well what would they do if you wrote the tip as minus X amount of money and subtracted that from the total? I would like to do it as a joke just to see their reaction but I think I am to chicken to try it in real life.
How about this - you pick up Chinese food, and that Tip line is there. Do you ignore it, or put in a zero to prevent an unscrupulous employee from filling it in?

Q

quandofloo

If I have to get out of the car and pick up food I put a dash in it and make sure to write down the total amount on the total line. I can never decide if I should tip when I order curb-side pickup at places like Applebees though.

MindDetective said:
Why does it bother me so much that you put your parenthetical after "other" and not after "night" (or even "WoW")? :grrr:
:rofl:

I posted somewhere or tweeted or something a couple of days ago where I split a phrase with a parenthetical and it drove me craaaaazy because I couldn't edit it.

quandofloo said:
Fun Size said:
In before someone posts an actual photo of a random crap.
This is the perfect place. I read your blog fairly regularly but don't comment on it because it appears that I am the only one that reads it. I just had to add something to two of the recent postings.

First, the greatest thing about being a software developer is the ability to wear jeans and random shirts whenever you feel like it. Your Taco Bell shirt is appreciated by those in your field.

Second, when I hurt my shoulder moving refrigerators and had to have surgery a few times I just started telling everyone I got shot or that I got hit by a train.
Before I forget, thanks. And feel free to comment - ever since I moved from blogging for therapeutic reasons and converting to almost entirely writing it for entertainment purposes, I encourage mass readership. :slywink:

figmentPez

Staff member
How many states of matter are there? There the basic three: solid, liquid and gas, but there are also plasmas and super-solids (Bose-Einstein Condensate?). What about gels and liquid crystals, are those states of matter? What about glass?

figmentPez said:
How many states of matter are there? There the basic three: solid, liquid and gas, but there are also plasmas and super-solids (Bose-Einstein Condensate?). What about gels and liquid crystals, are those states of matter? What about glass?
Yes.

Q

quandofloo

figmentPez said:
Isn't super cooled helium a super-liquid? I always though glass was a solid. Is there something inherent to glass that would make it a special case that I am not aware of?

ElJuski

Staff member
I thought glass does shift with time, like old buildings have windows with thicker glass on the bottom versus the top. But it's still a solid, right?

figmentPez

Staff member
quandofloo said:
I always though glass was a solid. Is there something inherent to glass that would make it a special case that I am not aware of?
Glass is somewhere between a fluid and a solid. It's structure is like a fluid, but it moves so slow as to be a solid. There are many materials that are glasses. Also, scientists are studying how to make drugs that are glass in structure instead of the normal crystals of solids, so that they'll dissolve more easily.

ElJuski said:
I thought glass does shift with time, like old buildings have windows with thicker glass on the bottom versus the top. But it's still a solid, right?
What I've read is that this is a myth. Old glass just tends to be thicker in places, and some are thicker on the bottom, some on top. Glass "flows" so slowly at normal temperatures that it would take billions of years to flow enough to be the cause of the old window panes thickness variance.

Cajungal

Staff member
I'm trying to get myself to enjoy tea again. Mreh... I just finished a cup, and it was only good until I got about halfway down. What the hell, man? I used to love it.

There's something up with my eye, something is on the inside surface of my left eye socket that causes the contact lens to shift around every time I blink, meaning the lens is often off-center, causing worse vision than if the lens was absent. I don't know if it is a bit of mucus stuck there, or a pimple-like growth. I can see it if I pull my eyelid up and shine a flashlight in there, but too far back for me to want to try to poke/scrape at it. It only started happening when I moved here, so maybe it's an allergic reaction to the multitude of tropical plants/flowers/trees, which will only get worse as we head into spring. Maybe I should go home and visit an eye doctor.

I read "dangerously low on grog" too!

...well, whenever someone links it. I tend ot forget and then go "oh, right! That's fun!" and read some.
Get a better interface for browsing backwards. Also, make threads about interesting new posts. :thumbsup:

I thought there were 4 distinct states of matter (plasma being the fourth), with everything else being variations on those (like superfluids and crap). Glass depends on your definition; but tends to be regarded as a solid.

C

chakz

Le Quack said:
http://madonnablog.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/poop_05-29-2003.jpg

Are you shitting us? Yeah you are. Image NSFW or weak stomachs. -ZM

Why do you do these things?

Cajungal

Staff member
Not a rant really... I just feel guilty right now. My loyalty to my buddy is going a little too far. I heard it through the grapevine that his horrible ex girlfriend got dumped by this dude she started dating really shortly after him. Their being together was almost as devastating as the breakup, because she had told him he was "the one" and she saw a future with him, etc etc. The whole reason she dumped my friend was that she pretty much gave him a marriage ultimatum that he couldn't fully agree to... what do you say when your significant othe gives you a one-year or less quota on that kind of shit when you're 22 years old?!

So, she decides "she's holding him back, he needs space to really grow" when we all know that she didn't have the courage to just say what she really meant: "I want the shiny ring and 10 babies, and you can't give them to me when I want them." Or even, "I'm breaking up with you because it's what I want for me" instead of making herself seem like a goddamn martyr. So she started dating a dude who was way older and who clearly had the assets to get her dream family started immediately. Then he dumped her. Well, well, well...

I'm feeling really sadistic right now, I guess, because I was glad to hear it. Maybe now she knows a little of what he went through, damnit. It's hard to communicate just how much she tormented him. He truly thought there was something wrong with himself for a while, when what really happened was that he was honest with her and she didn't like what he had to say. And HE'S been on some really fun dates lately. All is right, as far as I'm concerned.

So I guess the moral here is... don't fuck with the people I love. Because it makes me a terrible person. :\ God I've never felt so awful and so good all at once. Seriously. And there's no one awake who I can tell right now. For the record, I don't wish eternal misery on this person... but this feels like some sort of delicious payback. I hope he said "it's not you, it's me."

Cajungal said:
Not a rant really... I just feel guilty right now. My loyalty to my buddy is going a little too far. I heard it through the grapevine that his horrible ex girlfriend got dumped by this dude she started dating really shortly after him. Their being together was almost as devastating as the breakup, because she had told him he was "the one" and she saw a future with him, etc etc. The whole reason she dumped my friend was that she pretty much gave him a marriage ultimatum that he couldn't fully agree to... what do you say when your significant othe gives you a one-year or less quota on that kind of shit when you're 22 years old?!

So, she decides "she's holding him back, he needs space to really grow" when we all know that she didn't have the courage to just say what she really meant: "I want the shiny ring and 10 babies, and you can't give them to me when I want them." Or even, "I'm breaking up with you because it's what I want for me" instead of making herself seem like a goddamn martyr. So she started dating a dude who was way older and who clearly had the assets to get her dream family started immediately. Then he dumped her. Well, well, well...

I'm feeling really sadistic right now, I guess, because I was glad to hear it. Maybe now she knows a little of what he went through, damnit. It's hard to communicate just how much she tormented him. He truly thought there was something wrong with himself for a while, when what really happened was that he was honest with her and she didn't like what he had to say. And HE'S been on some really fun dates lately. All is right, as far as I'm concerned.

So I guess the moral here is... don't fuck with the people I love. Because it makes me a terrible person. :\ God I've never felt so awful and so good all at once. Seriously. And there's no one awake who I can tell right now. For the record, I don't wish eternal misery on this person... but this feels like some sort of delicious payback. I hope he said "it's not you, it's me."
I know exactly where you're coming from. :)

I... dunno how much else I should say on a public forum. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.