The Quadrennial Winter Sporting Festival Thread

I'm looking forward to our ragtag group of nobodies and has-beens taking on the big, bad Russians non-affiliated olympic hockey team.

Go [FIND User:COUNTRY]! I know you can beat [FIND User:RIVALCOUNTRY]! They don't stand a chance in [FIND User:RELIGION; SUB User:RELIGIONBADPLACE] of [FIND User:CULTURALREFERNCE]!

Nathan Chen did not do well at the Team Figure Skating event. I hope he can shake it off for the individual competition later on.

Dave

Staff member
And talking over the whole thing before taking multiple commercial breaks. NBC suuuuuuucks.

I'd think y'all would go with Utah for this one, before their existing Olympic stuff gets too old, and let Denver bid for 2034 or 2038 . . . oh god, that sounds so far away and yet so close.

Also, I'm a little amused Denver's plan includes Calgary.
I have a feeling Colorado voters will kibosh it anyways. If there's one thing people in Colorado hate, it's voting to spend money on things.

I have a feeling Colorado voters will kibosh it anyways. If there's one thing people in Colorado hate, it's voting to spend money on things.
I was ignoring that part but yeah, that's why I'd be choosing Salt Lake right now. As the article says, they're committed.

The Post doesn't like my ad blocker. And it looks like my ad blocker blocker blocker isn't working.

But if the IOC has any memory, they'll tell Denver to get fucked.

The Post doesn't like my ad blocker. And it looks like my ad blocker blocker blocker isn't working.
Denver's plan is to not build anything, doing things like using local hotels for the athletes and holding some events in Calgary and Lake Placid.

some events in Calgary
Circling back to the politics thread, they are aware that Canada IS a real country, not just extra space for the US when it needs it?

(Joking aside, I do like, and prefer, the idea of reusing already built facilities. For a long time I thought that was what they already did. Probably has something to with the LA '84 Games being the first ones I really remember.)

Circling back to the politics thread, they are aware that Canada IS a real country, not just extra space for the US when it needs it?
I didn't know Lake Placid was a real place. It sounds so made up, I figured the movie made it up.

Also, they probably think Calgary is the hill where Jesus was crucified.

Lake Placid is most DEFINITELY a real place. It's just so far away from anywhere else that no one really remembers it's there until the anniversary of the US Olympic Hockey Team win comes around.