The Quadrennial Summer Sporting Festival Thread

In my opinion, the Olympics should go back to being entirely non-professional. The non-pro sports are generally much more fun to look at, anyway. There's plenty of other pro sports tournaments.

In my opinion, the Olympics should go back to being entirely non-professional. The non-pro sports are generally much more fun to look at, anyway. There's plenty of other pro sports tournaments.
More of these sports have "professional" levels than you think, I feel like. Professional just means they get paid to do it for the most part. Professional figure skaters for example, still can't compete in the Olympics.

There were plenty of pro athletes in the Olympics when it was "amateur only." Just ask Russia.

More of these sports have "professional" levels than you think, I feel like. Professional just means they get paid to do it for the most part. Professional figure skaters for example, still can't compete in the Olympics.
But most of them are not present at the Olympics. Why allow 3 pro soccer players per country at the Olympics? There's plenty of soccer tournaments. Why not allow pro boxers then? Or archers? In some countries there are whole separate leagues of pro and amateur archers to divide those who get paid enough to live from it and those who don't - and only the second can go to the Olympics. Etc.

Though, in part, you're right - I just enjoy the "lesser known"/"lesser shown" sports more than the ones we get all the time.

Danell Leyva taking off the top of his leotard while doing parallel bar at the gymnastics gala. Yes pls.

Danell Leyva taking off the top of his leotard while doing parallel bar at the gymnastics gala. Yes pls.
Oh good.

Now I can say how much I enjoyed watching the Brazilian brunettes play soccer against the pale blonde Swedes yesterday.

The game itself was terrible, though.

As an interesting tidbit, the Belgian Takwondoka who'll be fighting later this evening and has a fair shot at the gold medal, is the brother of one of the suicide bombers at Brussels Airport back in march. Huh.

GasBandit

Staff member
So remember that Irish boxer who the judges said lost to his Russian opponent and there was a big stink about it?

Look how clean and undamaged he looks, right?

Now it turns out the Russian who "won" was too badly beaten to continue competing in the next round.

In the wake of this...

Without admitting or even acknowledging the corruption, some Judges are being sent home. They won't say which judges or which fights they judged, and all results up to this point are still to stand.

Conlon got robbed at his chance for a medal.

Dave

Staff member
So Ryan Lochte made the whole robbery story up to cover up an assault and vandalizing of a gas station.

I mean, I'm sure that there have been medalists that have done way worse.
I have no doubt, but these things should be dealt with from now on. Just because they've been swept under the rug in the past doesn't mean we should keep allowing it.

At least the olympics weren't held in Singapore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

That said, he was a guest in their country, and should be subject to their punishment. Chances are good, though, that the charges won't result in extradition, and so only his teammates will be punished, and he will simply have to avoid going to brazil ever again.

Olympic athletes, particularly disgraced ones, don't typically make a lot of money, otherwise this is something that could probably have been taken care of discreetly with a bunch of lawyers and cash.

Just learned Canadian Olympian Ian Miller is not at Rio, ending his streak of 10 straight Olympic appearances.

:(

What's with the swimmers this time around?
Australian swimmer Josh Palmer and Emma McKeon (and some others) sent home for partying in the Copacabana and spinning a story about being forced to hand over his money.