The Quadrennial Summer Sporting Festival Thread

So titled because Olympic officials have even threatened the POPE about using "official" Olympic phrases.

But anyway, the scoreboard as of this moment. WVU: 1, the entire rest of the world: 0 as Ginny Thrasher takes the first gold of these games in 10m air rifle. :D

Dave

Staff member
Okay I take it all back. I found a site that has BBC streams and nearly all the events. It's incredible. I just watched women's epee and it was a great match! I'm in again.

CBC does incredible coverage of the Olympics.

I just outright refuse to watch these games. I'm done until the Olympics is less scummy.

Okay I take it all back. I found a site that has BBC streams and nearly all the events. It's incredible. I just watched women's epee and it was a great match! I'm in again.
Tuned in to the BBC One stream in time for men's foil and some judo. You'd wait forever on NBC to see any of that, if you ever did.

You can just stream any currently live event from their website, you just have to have a cable subscription.

Man, the life threatening injuries at these Olympics are pretty nuts this year.

How the hell is the summer Olympics outdoing the vastly more dangerous sports of the winter?

GasBandit

Staff member
[DOUBLEPOST=1470695343,1470695179][/DOUBLEPOST]It just occurred to me... This year's summer olympics are in the southern hemisphere.. in the deepest dead of the brazilian winter.

Dave

Staff member
I still say they should hold the Olympics in the same place every year. All of the money that goes into the stadiums and stuff that just lay fallow could be better spent in renovations and infrastructure.

But there's no bribe money in that even though it makes sense.

For example, the College World Series is held in Omaha every year. So there's the Road to Omaha and community anticipation. So much easier.

Or just rotate among places that can handle it. There might be some abandoned stuff in Atlanta, but the city turned a profit from hosting them (plus the money they got from additional use of Olympic structures)

GasBandit

Staff member
Or just rotate among places that can handle it. There might be some abandoned stuff in Atlanta, but the city turned a profit from hosting them (plus the money they got from additional use of Olympic structures)
Yeah, the Atlanta section of that imgur post was really reaching, Atlanta's really done well at repurposing the olympic infrastructure and many of the competition venues are now operating for recreational use.

A quote from the thread of that imgur album: "There are less than 12 countries that can actually adequately handle all aspects required for hosting the olympics, and Brazil is not one of them."

But like Dave said, there's bribe money at stake.

America is generally good at hosting these events because we're so sports-crazy that most big cities already have a ton of infrastructure.

Although our first choice in 2024 was Boston so we aren't always smart about which cities to choose. Thankfully they changed their mind to LA

Yeah, the Atlanta section of that imgur post was really reaching, Atlanta's really done well at repurposing the olympic infrastructure and many of the competition venues are now operating for recreational use.

A quote from the thread of that imgur album: "There are less than 12 countries that can actually adequately handle all aspects required for hosting the olympics, and Brazil is not one of them."

But like Dave said, there's bribe money at stake.
Atlanta loses points for throwing away a perfectly good stadium after barely 20 years. And for being, you know, Atlanta. :p

West Ham will get many more decades of service out of London's Olympic Stadium.

GasBandit

Staff member
Atlanta loses points for throwing away a perfectly good stadium after barely 20 years. And for being, you know, Atlanta. :p

I wish Texas could say the same for the Astrodome.

Georgia State football will be playing in it, so it will still have some use.

After that gymnast with bonitis, I'm pretty sure having safety precautions is probably a good idea. You never know when something might go horribly wrong.
This was also the official response. Life guards aren't mandated by the Olympics ,but by local regulations. Still, it's happened before that a swimmer hit his head on the side of the pool and lost consciousness.
And hey, I wouldn't mind being paid to watch the Olympics from the front row :)