The Pope resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a first, in terms of popes? Stepping down? I'm sure it isn't, but I'd be curious to know. I'm sure we have some history buffs here that could answer that.

Huh. Surprising. I don't think it's age (unless dementia or something is rearing its head...And even so, look at the last one :p), really. And scandals...While possible, doubt it.

I'd look more towards either the right wing wanting to replace him with a "younger model" (say, in his 60s) so there's a conservative Pope on the throne for a good long while, or a coup coming from African and/or Latin-American cardinals who want a new Pope - there's been a LOT of unease and unhappiness over this Pope's focus on Europe, Asia and northern America. We'll see, I guess?[DOUBLEPOST=1360581891][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is this a first, in terms of popes? Stepping down? I'm sure it isn't, but I'd be curious to know. I'm sure we have some history buffs here that could answer that.
No, it isn't - the last Pope to resign was in the 1920s somewhere. It's been a long time, the last two Popes stayed on even when faced with things like Parkinsons and such.

Celestine V was the first and til the end of this month only pope to resign, in 1294.

A few more popes are listed for resigning their duties but not out of free will. Gregory XII as mentioned above did resign in 1415 but was already ousted from office in 1409.

Stuff I learn and read on a day at work with absolutely no motivation.

It's not a scandal. The papacy has endured things like you wouldn't imagine over the years and has the power and money to cover most anything up.If it's a scandal, it's a huge, world changing one.

Part of me wants to think this is to usher in a huge policy change that the current Pope wouldn't abide, like allowing marriage for priests or a softened stance on birth control. At least that would make sense.

Part of me wants to think this is to usher in a huge policy change that the current Pope wouldn't abide, like allowing marriage for priests or a softened stance on birth control. At least that would make sense.
I'm betting the exact opposite. In the Western world, the Pope's power is next to nothing and the Catholic Church is falling apart. In Sub-Sahara Africa, Eastern Asia and Southern America, the Catholic Church is still growing - but there's a lot of call for stricter stances on a lot of moral issues. We'll see....

Dave

Staff member
Damn. There goes all the Nazi jokes. Although the fact that the pope was a Nazi is still amusing in the context of he was elected leader of the Catholic cult church.

Progressing dementia perhaps? It's ok to be pope if you're too old to stand but you need to have enough brain function to know that you are the pope.

Dave

Staff member
Progressing dementia perhaps? It's ok to be pope if you're too old to stand but you need to have enough brain function to know that you are the pope.
My uncle thought he was Pope.

Of course, he also thought he was Saint Jerome.

John Paul II couldn't stand or even move pretty much at the end but still remained pope til they couldn't resurrect him anymore...
Not sure if he still knew who he was or what to do.

I didn't check General for a political and religious post. Sue me! :p

In related news its due to his health. You can find his quote on it in other articles.

Dave

Staff member
All German middle class teenagers were forced/coerced into the Hitler Youth.
Strange. There were people who resisted joining the Hitler Youth. There were enough that there were camps for them. I'd like to think that the person who leads a religious organization would have the strength of spirit and conviction that they wouldn't have capitulated to save themselves from trouble. Very Christ-like.

I don't know a ton about it to be honest, but I can't honestly even begin to understand what it would be like to be a kid in Hitler's Germany so I don't think thats the biggest thing I would hold against this guy.

Strange. There were people who resisted joining the Hitler Youth. There were enough that there were camps for them. I'd like to think that the person who leads a religious organization would have the strength of spirit and conviction that they wouldn't have capitulated to save themselves from trouble. Very Christ-like.
So you're judging a 14 year old for having his name put on the role of an organization that forced membership, and then proceeded to not attend the meetings, as if he was a willing member and participant? And that having his name on a list is such a critical moral failing that it should bar him from any promient religious position even 50+ years later?

Dave

Staff member
I don't know a ton about it to be honest, but I can't honestly even begin to understand what it would be like to be a kid in Hitler's Germany so I don't think thats the biggest thing I would hold against this guy.
I agree. I was more talking about losing the jokes when it got all serious-like. I probably would have gone along as well, but then again I am not the one who claims to be speaking for God.

So you're judging a 14 year old for having his name put on the role of an organization that forced membership, and then proceeded to not attend the meetings, as if he was a willing member and participant? And that having his name on a list is such a critical moral failing that it should bar him from any promient religious position even 50+ years later?
Depending on how much you believe he didn't do it -willinginly-

I agree. I was more talking about losing the jokes when it got all serious-like. I probably would have gone along as well, but then again I am not the one who claims to be speaking for God.
Which is what I think is the far bigger problem.

I think we agree :)

Well you know how it is for Christians, once you commit anything sinful you are damned for all eternity with no way to atone.

Dave

Staff member
They say he deserted, but this was in May of 1945. And he wasn't the only one. By that time, people were leaving in droves. So yet another action based on self-preservation. Seems pretty selfish.[DOUBLEPOST=1360598511][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well you know how it is for Christians, once you commit anything sinful you are damned for all eternity with no way to atone.
Or if your dad fucked up. Sins of the father and all that.[DOUBLEPOST=1360598619][/DOUBLEPOST]By the way, I could hardly care less. I think the whole Catholic church is messed up beyond belief. So I'm more yanking chains than anything. Take what I say with a grain of salt. Take it from Lot's wife's arm.

Given the lack of any hard evidence I've seen that he did it willingly, and reports from people who knew their family that they were very anti-nazi, I see no reason for anyone who's not irrationally anti-religion/catholic to not believe that.

Given the lack of any hard evidence I've seen that he did it willingly, and reports from people who knew their family that they were very anti-nazi, I see no reason for anyone who's not irrationally anti-religion/catholic to not believe that.
You're right, the Catholic Church would never cover anything up.

North_Ranger

Staff member
The asshole in me wants to point and laugh.

The bigger man in me wants to shrug and move on.

The forumite in me just wants to sit back and roast marshmallows in the flame war.

You're right, the Catholic Church would never cover anything up.
So in lieu of any actual evidence to support your stance, you're basing your opinion on the fact that it's pontentially possible for Catholic Chruch to cover it up? That's tinfoil hat territory, since you can literally support just about any claim about him with that argument.

Just saying that back in Nazi Germany the Hitler youth was like being a boy scout. I don't really blame anyone for joining that.

Status
Not open for further replies.