[TV] The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

How is it there are a jillion Marvel intellectual properties on Netflix, including Captain America Civil War, and yet not any of the early MCU movies? Avengers is not there, for example. Why am I paying for this again, instead of just pirating, when a 4 terabyte drive is just $120?
*cough*USENET*cough*

NZB indexer plus main feed plus non-US block feed equals goodness.

Because Netflix is sustained by it's original programming now.

I want some streaming service to get the rights to ALL the old Warner bros cartoons. I own the God damn Platinum collection and it's still missing a fuckton of the shorts I love.

Because Netflix is sustained by it's original programming now.

I want some streaming service to get the rights to ALL the old Warner bros cartoons. I own the God damn Platinum collection and it's still missing a fuckton of the shorts I love.
I'm pretty sure Warner Brothers has their own streaming service out or at least planned.

GasBandit

Staff member
*cough*USENET*cough*

NZB indexer plus main feed plus non-US block feed equals goodness.
I don't have problems finding things piratically :p I just was kinda hoping netflix would be a semi-decent path to legitimacy. But lately, both it and Crunchyroll have pretty much convinced me to cancel and go back to pirating full time. This latest instance seems particularly egregious, given how much in bed Marvel and Netflix are these days.

Two reasons I can think of.

1. The early MCU films were distributed by non-Disney companies and they can't agree with them on licensing. Netflix is the exclusive streaming service for Disney now so it's complicated.

or...

2. Disney has a Netflix vault and only allows certain movies at any one time. Notice how there are zero Pixar films on Netflix? You can't find Disney Renaissance films (Lion King, Aladdin, etc.) either. It's probably the same deal with the early MCU.

Two reasons I can think of.

1. The early MCU films were distributed by non-Disney companies and they can't agree with them on licensing. Netflix is the exclusive streaming service for Disney now so it's complicated.

or...

2. Disney has a Netflix vault and only allows certain movies at any one time. Notice how there are zero Pixar films on Netflix? You can't find Disney Renaissance films (Lion King, Aladdin, etc.) either. It's probably the same deal with the early MCU.
In support of Point 1, Iron Man is available on Amazon Prime.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna cancel netflix and crunchyroll and just to back to pirating. Disney makes it too complicated for me to get my money to them in a convenient fashion for the things I want.

GasBandit

Staff member
Really? Pretty easy to rent movies and buy tv episodes from lots of places.
Nope. I want one monolithic digital streaming marketplace with universal access via web and mobile app for a reasonable fee :p Anything less, and I'm piratin'.

It's not blowing my mind, and I'm still not a fan of Medusa's wig, but I would give it a chance. I don't have a problem with it being on network tv. For one thing, I never found the Inhumans all that gritty that they need profanity and graphic violence. And maybe this is because I have a small child who is getting curious about comics and superheroes, but it would be nice if not everything was skewed to a very adult audience.

GasBandit

Staff member
Network television with commercials and things like profanity filters? Nope. Were this on Netflix or some other streaming service I'd be all in.
It's not blowing my mind, and I'm still not a fan of Medusa's wig, but I would give it a chance. I don't have a problem with it being on network tv. For one thing, I never found the Inhumans all that gritty that they need profanity and graphic violence. And maybe this is because I have a small child who is getting curious about comics and superheroes, but it would be nice if not everything was skewed to a very adult audience.
While I am a great big fan of the "Lady Naked McSexMurder's shit-smeared adventures in BlueFilter City, co-starring Curseword Van Hammerdick" genre, I also don't think network TV necessarily means unwatchable. One of the shows I got absolutely hooked on over the last decade or so was Grimm, on NBC. Yeah, it was kept PG-13, but it was still compelling stuff.

Also, being off the tether hasn't necessarily been a guarantee of good things for animated superhero fare, either. While the new JL/Teen Titans direct-to-dvd unrated offerings have had their moments and been decent, not one has grabbed me like Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes did, which was FIRMLY stuck in the "G rated, kids watch this" category.

So, I'm willing to keep an open mind. But man... that wig. >_<

Dave

Staff member
I find network tv unwatchable. Other than sports and local weather reports, I can't tell you the last time I sat down and watched a tv show.

GasBandit

Staff member
I find network tv unwatchable. Other than sports and local weather reports, I can't tell you the last time I sat down and watched a tv show.
Well, I will say I never watch LIVE network TV (or any live TV for that matter). Network shows are a lot more palatable when you torrent them and don't have to put up with commercials and station branding/imaging.

Maximus doesn't feel like Maximus; more like any other "I wanna be in charge" younger royal sibling."

I'll probably check it out when season 1 hits Netflix.

Hmm, not totally impressed with anything but Lockjaw..... Impressed might be overstating it... happy...I am happy to see Lockjaw.

Medusa's hair is so flat and fake-looking. It's like they put zero effort into it. I know they'll CGI in her monster hair, but for general existing, this is just sad.

Medusa's hair is so flat and fake-looking.
Maybe she likes it that way? I mean, it is supposed to be under her total control.

I'm more concerned about the scene showing him getting hit by a police baton and grunting. Black Bolt has stood toe-to-toe with The Hulk, getting hit by a police baton shouldn't be more than a discomfort.

--Patrick

Maybe she likes it that way? I mean, it is supposed to be under her total control.

I'm more concerned about the scene showing him getting hit by a police baton and grunting. Black Bolt has stood toe-to-toe with The Hulk, getting hit by a police baton shouldn't be more than a discomfort.

--Patrick
I'm comparing her hair to the comic and it's just so dead, like someone cooked tomato-flavor spaghetti and draped it over her head.

Rumor is that they're taking away Black Bolt's super strength; so his only power will be his voice. And even then, much as I like that even a grunt causes explosions, don't the comics establish he meditates every night so that any sound he makes is deliberate?

I do think it's funny that people rank the power of his voice by font size :D.

We're filming it with Imax cameras so our TV level special effects look EXTRA good.

Man, for a guy who has always been able to go toe to toe with the Hulk, Black Bolt is sure getting the biggest nerf ever for MCU adaptation.

Maximus doesn't feel like Maximus; more like any other "I wanna be in charge" younger royal sibling."

I'll probably check it out when season 1 hits Netflix.
Which is really annoying, because Barry has proven many times over he can do "slightly" unhinged (and then full on crazy) very well.