[TV] The General Marvel TV/Streaming Thread

Most interesting episode had the least screen-time for Danny.

We've been hovering at two episodes to go for a few days now. We'll probably finish it this weekend, but for comparison's sake, this wouldn't have been acceptable with any of the other Marvel Netflix shows. We could not wait to see what would happen next. With this one, it's like ... yeah, we'll get there.

Finished Iron Fist last night.

The show doesn't start too bad, and I was coming around to it midway through even though the pacing never got any better--I sincerely think a lot of the show's other problems would've been more forgivable if the pacing had been better--but in the end I wound up really frustrated and annoyed by this.

The Meachum siblings' character motives are all over the place. Whoever ran this show thought they were orchestrating some complex plan, but this is less Walter White and more magic 8-ball. The siblings just act in whatever's in accordance to the story at any given moment. At first it was funny, but then it got annoying, and by the time there's the final scene with Joy, I was at "whatever" levels of disbelief. I'm glad I wasn't invested enough to care much. Danny is annoying, but at least he's consistently irrational.

Best new characters were Colleen and Harold. That said, even Colleen's arc got messy as the Hand became more convoluted, and Harold was a big improvement over Luke Cage's end villain, but his end speech was so limp compared to how his character was up until that point.

And that ending ...

"It's all my fault."

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT HAPPENED.

It was nice having Hogarth, Gao, and Claire though. All three of them made the show more bearable whenever they were present. Gao especially made for a cool puppetmaster, while Claire was kind enough to make dumb and over-serious scenes easier to swallow. Rosario Dawson just kept making me laugh.

Danny, stern and serious: "I'm the Iron Fist."
Claire: "*throws hands up* The hell's that supposed to mean?"

Colleen: "You can't kill him, Danny."
Claire: *nods*
Colleen: "That's why I have to kill him for you."
Claire: "JESUS!"

:D

I'm really nervous for The Defenders, because while three of the core group are excellent, it only takes one weak link to screw it up. Finn Jones says Danny will truly become the Iron Fist by the end of The Defenders, but what about the eight episodes until then? Is Danny still going to be this whiny brat? I want to see Luke and Danny being cool together, and that means Danny needs to lighten the fuck up. I can't see Luke Cage being best friends with this man-child. Hopefully that show will have better writing and direction, and can get Danny Rand on track.

While I didn't outright hate this show, I know for certain I'm never going to watch it again.

That end scene with Joy was just terrible. I ended up in about the same place - I didn't hate it, but the flaws kept me from really enjoying it.

Mr. Z is working over at the "Rand" building today. I told him he needed to jump out at any young white dude in the lobby and shout, "I thought I'd find you here, Iron Fist! The Hand will have it's revenge!" in his most FOB accent.

He did not appreciate my suggestion. :(
Maybe if you'd told him to wear the banana suit while doing it, he would've been onboard.

Yay Daredevil! Luke Cage! Jessica Jones!

Danny: And I'm the immortal iro-

Me: Shut the fuck up Danny. No one cares. Go find Hawkeye. We're trading you for him.

They need to give Iron Fist a coloring book and put him in a corner. Then the rest can do the superheroics and it'll be awesome.

Iron Fist wears yellow bedroom slippers in the comics, and those are by far the most non-silly clothing item. The series can't really show him in green pajamas with the popped collar.

I REALLY want to get excited over this. Before March 17, I would've been ecstatic to see the trailer. But after the Iron Fist series I've got that nagging worry.

Despite all the mediocrity of Iron Fist, I'm still really excited about The Defenders. I loved 3 out of 4 of the characters' solo runs, so I'd say the odds are in our favor. Besides, I feel like Danny's best used as a filler. It looks like the other Defenders are going to give him crap, just like an annoying younger brother (which he fully deserves). It may even-out his character. And Sigorney Weaver? Yes, please!

See, I skipped Iron Fist because of the reviews, so this will be my intro to Danny, and it seems like being introduced to him while Jessica Jones mocks him might be the only way to be introduced to him.

I can't post the photo from here, nor do I know if this is the best thread for it, but:

First image of Inhumans was released and they look terrible. Apparently same showrunner as Iron Fist and the crappier seasons of Dexter.

I can't post the photo from here, nor do I know if this is the best thread for it, but:

First image of Inhumans was released and they look terrible. Apparently same showrunner as Iron Fist and the crappier seasons of Dexter.

Yeah...that doesn't translate well to the screen.

Yes and no.
You don't think those guys could show up on AoS and fit in? For that matter, if they were hanging out in the background on Asgard, would you even notice them, Purple Nurple there notwithstanding?[DOUBLEPOST=1493925546,1493925476][/DOUBLEPOST]For the record: I know nothing about Inhumans outside of it involving a giant dog, who is not pictured, so it's hard to express how not-invested I am in this. It could be an affront to readers and I just wouldn't know.

You don't think those guys could show up on AoS and fit in? For that matter, if they were hanging out in the background on Asgard, would you even notice them, Purple Nurple there notwithstanding?[DOUBLEPOST=1493925546,1493925476][/DOUBLEPOST]For the record: I know nothing about Inhumans outside of it involving a giant dog, who is not pictured, so it's hard to express how not-invested I am in this. It could be an affront to readers and I just wouldn't know.
Well, this is kind of what they were going for:

You know, I was getting ready to say I couldn't take that seriously, but now that leggings are pants, I'm rethinking that. I want an alien-type group to go full decorated tights and see how it plays.

From the little I could gather from the trailer, it seems as if the Defenders' fight scenes consist of shaky-cam and jittery quick-cuts. Modern cinema must outsource a lot of its camera work to epileptic ADHD kids on a sugar high. NO, I don't want to feel like I'm there. I just want to see two guys fight and know who's winning.

You know how they have versions of films for the blind or the deaf? They should have a "steady-cam" edition. I'd watch that. Everybody would watch that.

Last edited:

Iron Fist wears yellow bedroom slippers in the comics, and those are by far the most non-silly clothing item. The series can't really show him in green pajamas with the popped collar.

I REALLY want to get excited over this. Before March 17, I would've been ecstatic to see the trailer. But after the Iron Fist series I've got that nagging worry.
From the little I could gather from the trailer, it seems as if the Defenders' fight scenes consist of shaky-cam and jittery quick-cuts. Modern cinema must outsource a lot of its camera work to epileptic ADHD kids on a sugar high. NO, I don't want to feel like I'm there. I just want to see two guys fight and know who's winning.

If you had shown me the Defenders trailer on March 16 (the day before Iron Fist) I would have been ecstatic. But Iron Fist was so flawed and contained so many of my pet peeves that I'm skeptical.

You know how they have versions of films for the blind or the deaf? They should have a "steady-cam" edition. I'd watch that. Everybody would watch that.
Not even 24 hours apart; we're not goldfish, dude. :p

Yeah, it's been a crazy week. Fixed.
I know what you mean. As for the camera work, I wouldn't take too much from the trailer, especially the jump cuts since it's trying to cram in a bunch in two minutes. I'd be more concerned if they released a preview fight scene and it looked like that, but a trailer can pretend to be anything.

Man, after watching Iron Fist, Netflix thought I'd want to watch Into the Badlands. Into the Badlands is fucking silly as hell, but fuck a dog with a slippery stick does it have some of the absolute best fight choreography I've ever seen in a TV show.

Marvel's shows should be ashamed of themselves.

Man, after watching Iron Fist, Netflix thought I'd want to watch Into the Badlands. Into the Badlands is fucking silly as hell, but fuck a dog with a slippery stick does it have some of the absolute best fight choreography I've ever seen in a TV show.

Marvel's shows should be ashamed of themselves.
This was exactly Mr. Z's reaction/solution (except for the dog part).

fade

Staff member
Ok so I watched iron fist. It's not nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Sure, it's no Daredevil, but it's still a damn sight better than most of the crap on TV. I really like Ward, actually. He does a really good job of showing you can be a douchebag and sympathetic at the same time.