The Internet will never satisfy its lust for Net Neutrality and Bandwidth

figmentPez

Staff member

That is not how Net Neutrality works. If a hospital wants to prioritize packets on their network, nothing about Net Neutrality prevents that. I'm even pretty sure that if an ISP wants to sell dedicated bandwidth to businesses at a more expensive rate, that they can do that under net neutrality. Beyond that, there's no reason cat videos and teleconferencing can't co-exist.

That is not how Net Neutrality works.
Yes, it is.
Packets are packets. They all get sorted and delivered equally and agnostically, whether they are cat videos or cardiac teleconference. If that is not happening, then that is a capacity/routing issue, not a legal one.
Would you also claim, Mr. McClintock, that the Government seized unprecedented control over elections under the guise of Suffrage? Is Suffrage the notion that all votes should be treated equally, regardless whether they come from white men, black women, etc.? Here's a hint: YES IT IS.

--Patrick

Good lord, it's not as bad as "full of tubes" territory, but it's pretty close.
It's a calculated statement framed in such a way as to encourage the listeners' emotions to override their rationality, same as a phishing email, and as such is reprehensible, or at a minimum disingenuous.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Yes, it is.
Packets are packets. They all get sorted and delivered equally and agnostically, whether they are cat videos or cardiac teleconference. If that is not happening, then that is a capacity/routing issue, not a legal one.
Would you also claim, Mr. McClintock, that the Government seized unprecedented control over elections under the guise of Suffrage? Is Suffrage the notion that all votes should be treated equally, regardless whether they come from white men, black women, etc.? Here's a hint: YES IT IS.
You're talking about technicality, I'm talking about the appeal to emotion. Net Neutrality is not the statement that cat videos are of equal importance to hospital information. It is the statement that data is data, and companies have to treat data in the way that they've promised to. You're right that if cat videos are keeping cardiac teleconferencing from happening, then it's a capacity/routing issue, but the general public doesn't realize that, and that's why I'm saying this guy is wrong.

He's wrong because there is zero technical reason why a cat video should ever cause a problem with a teleconferencing call. The hospital is free to set it up it's own network so that it's own system sets priority to video conferencing (this is already done by businesses, and they're still free to block whatever content they want). The hospital is also free to pay the ISP for a dedicated business line, as businesses have done for years, both major institutions and small offices. They don't have to share bandwidth the way most residential connections do (and presumably still will, even under net neutrality). Lastly the backbone connection between those business lines should have more than enough capability to transfer all the cat videos and CAT scans everyone who paid for internet connections could want.

What he's implying is that what I've described isn't the case. He's implying that somewhere in the chain is the inability for both types of communication to happen at the same time, and that is not how the internet functions. Net Neutrality is not saying "we have to choose between frivolous and serious communication", because that choice doesn't exist. It's a statement based on false assumptions. It's not false because he's wrong about cat videos being sent with the same speed as echocardiograms, it's false because of even implying that Youtube should ever impact a medical consultation in any way shape or form, other than from incompetence on the part of the ISPs.

Glad we're on the same page.
Youtube should ever impact a medical consultation in any way shape or form, other than from incompetence on the part of the ISPs.
Also then this would be the ISP's fault, and not that of YouTube cat videos.
If people legitimately die because of ISP shenanigans, some people will be out on the street in a heartbeat, and stuff will change, Jack.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
An analogy, imagine if this were about overnight shipping, instead of internet traffic. As far as I know, FedEx treats all overnight packages the same (there's probably some minor favoritism, but I'm assuming it's not on a scale of the favoritism ISPs show). Someone ordering an overnight box of chocolates gets the same treatment as someone ordering a box of insulin. FedEx doesn't care that the insulin is more important than the chocolates, both packages get delivered overnight and FedEx doesn't choose which packages to deliver based on what it thinks is most important. If they didn't, customers would be rightly pissed about not getting the service they paid for.

Now imagine if some asshat Senator wanted to claim that overnight shipping should be a flexible term, and FedEx should be able to decide what packages it actually delivers overnight, and which ones it doesn't. And the senator described the current system of just delivering all packages as "claiming that a package of insulin is as important as a box of candy". He'd be wrong because he's implying that FedEx isn't fully capable of delivering all the packages it takes on. FedEx delivers pretty much all it's overnight packages overnight on a regular basis (with some hiccups, but a severe winter storm is going to stop packages, and construction accidentally severing a fiber optic line is going to stop some packets, doesn't matter what content is in either).

figmentPez

Staff member
The FCC chairman spoke to Ohio State's law school recently.

“To understand the problem, it is necessary to understand the power of the biggest ISPs. Consider this simple fact: About three-fourths of American households have zero or one choice for highspeed, wired broadband to their homes. No choice or one choice,” he said, “does not make an attractive marketplace from a consumer’s perspective.”
If you define highspeed broadband as at least 25Mbits up / 3Mbits down, that means that nearly 75% of US households have only one provider to purchase from, or none at all. FCC PDF on the matter.

Also, the chairman knows how to throw shade:
Even Comcast, AT&T and Verizon who oppose what we did continued to invest in their networks even knowing the rule was coming. Verizon did so very
dramatically in the Commission’s recent AWS-3 spectrum auction, which attracted more than $41 billion in net bidding, more than double the previous record.
Most importantly, ISP share prices were not adversely affected by the contemplation and adoption of the regulations. Very curious.

figmentPez

Staff member
I wonder how realistic that restriction is. I'm sure the prices are inflated beyond what's necessary, but I wonder how much gating off is necessary to ensure performance for those who do pay for it. I'm betting that if everyone on the cruise could pay for unlimited access to the internet, that it would pretty quickly become all but useless. I know Carnival wants to block streaming video because it means they can sell their own entertainment, but I'm betting that a satellite connection that can provide an entire ship with Youtube and Netflix just isn't feasible.

GasBandit

Staff member
I wonder how realistic that restriction is. I'm sure the prices are inflated beyond what's necessary, but I wonder how much gating off is necessary to ensure performance for those who do pay for it. I'm betting that if everyone on the cruise could pay for unlimited access to the internet, that it would pretty quickly become all but useless. I know Carnival wants to block streaming video because it means they can sell their own entertainment, but I'm betting that a satellite connection that can provide an entire ship with Youtube and Netflix just isn't feasible.
Youtube and netflix is one thing.. but having to spring for premium for e-mail? LIVE IN FEAR OF ATTACHMENTS I guess.

It's not. Even military quality ones are restricted use for this reason... there's a reason they ask you send that stuff on flash drives in care packages.

The whole reason cruises can charge such huge prices is because there are no other options. Not unless you know Aquaman's wifi password.

GasBandit

Staff member
It DROPS to 100 megabit. AGH. AGH.

Maybe I should start learning Korean. They got any english language radio stations in SoKo, I wonder?

The 2-1 court ruling Tuesday forces Internet providers such as Verizon and Comcast to obey federal regulations that ban the blocking or slowing of Internet traffic to consumers. The regulations from the Federal Communications Commission also forbid carriers from selectively speeding up websites that agree to pay the providers a fee — a tactic critics have said could unfairly tilt the commercial playing field against startups and innovators who may not be able to afford it.
(Washington Post)