The Internet will never satisfy its lust for Net Neutrality and Bandwidth

There sure is a lot of Republican whining over this. Get with the program guys, this is good for everybody.
Not the cable companies/isps who have been getting away with murder and anti-consumer practices. And that means less money funneled into politicians pockets, so of course they're against it.

figmentPez

Staff member
My mom forwarded this email to me, that she got from a friend. The whole thing was in comic sans, so you know it's good.

greetings –

I really wasn’t aware of this until end of last week when glenn beck had one of only 2 republican fcc commissioners on – a whistleblower. net neutrality – sounds good doesn’t it – JUST LIKE OBAMACARE SOUNDED GOOD.

remember: if you like your doctor you can keep your doctor?

well that same song and dance number worked SO well last time that it’s back for a reprise, simple translation: DON’T BUY INTO THE BS

these wonderfully worded letters from true believers (example letter below) would have you support net neutrality so that the service providers don’t slow down your speed – it’s hype people, that’s how they get you ta rear up appalled by such treatment and vote the way they want you to, the end result will not be a speedier inet – that’s already happening by virtue of simple customer demand (just think, can you remember as far back as a mere 10 years ago – waiting for a phone to dial in to a mysterious place to connect you and you paid by the minute and things took forever, you’d NEVER download a movie in anything under an overnight wait IF you could even download a movie) no - the end result will be GOVERNMENT CONTROL of the inet. the website you own, the blog you write, well, you won’t be paying whatever domain name fees you currently pay, you’ll be paying a government licensing fee, taxed, and that license – will be issued by the government, government rules will preside, the government will decide what you may put up or even if they’ll allow you a license to have a website to begin with. the issue between Netflix and Comcast is a simple business issue, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the claims made by supporters of net neutrality.

here’s a copy of the Mozilla petition:

<Mozilla petition>

sounds innocent doesn’t it – sounds GOOD doesn’t it? that’s how it works, it was the same with health care. and Mozilla is so hot to have you support this (which is beyond me – how can they be so stupid, it’s going to kill their business – they’re all about freedom, shareware, if net neutrality passes whatever they want to do that the govt doesn’t like, they could be shut down and all the work they currently do for free and pay for via contributions, they won’t be able to because they will have to be licensed and pay mega fees to the govt which means YOU and I will pay much higher inet access fees and you may have to pay to visit individual websites because it will cost the website owner to HAVE their site!)

but – they set you up to sign the petition, then they have a robo call that connects you to your reps in dc. I called, but told them to NOT support the fcc vote and do whatever they could to stop the fcc’s march to a vote to take over the inet.

this is bad, very very bad….as with all liberal agendas this is couched in: it’s for YOUR own good, it’s for YOUR benefit, it will put the kibosh on the big boys and make things more ‘equal’

what it WILL do is give the govt the ability to shut down the voices they don’t like….

when are the gullible going to wake up and smell the s—t they’ve asked to have shoveled all over themselves?

that is all
<name removed>

if you want to call your reps to tell them to get the pres and fcc to back off, type ‘who represents me – add your state, you should get some good options, several states have sites that will provide you the info , we’ve got a great one here (tx) but that won’t serve anyone else out there.
To sum up, net neutrality would be bad because:
- We've already got fast internets because people demanded it
- Domain name registration would become hella expensive because it would be a government tax!
- Mozilla would go out of business because they'd have to license everything they do at exorbitant gubernmint costs
- The big scary government will have the ability to shut down voices they don't like if the net is neutral

:fu:

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh, and to be clear, my mother forwarded it to me because she thought I might be able to refute some points and help her understand. She knows it sounds fishy. But still, that's the kind of misunderstanding that's out there.

Oh, and to be clear, my mother forwarded it to me because she thought I might be able to refute some points and help her understand. She knows it sounds fishy. But still, that's the kind of misunderstanding that's out there.
Kudos to your Mom then. I'd rather have people consult experts (or close enough) who are family members than blindly accept, or even blindly reject.

Dave

Staff member
It'll never go anywhere. Even if it passes it'll be vetoed and unable to be overridden. Empty gesture is empty.

GasBandit

Staff member
What would you title your bill?
I think it'd be fun to make it so bill titles must be made by the other party's whip.

"The Selling out America act"
"The enslavement of the underclass act"
"The we hate brown people act"
"The we want to exploit brown people act"

GasBandit

Staff member
Why not just go back to the bill numbers themselves?
Because nobody cares if you're for or against HB343577349etc. The hoi polloi cares, however, whether you're for or against the "Saving babies with hugs" act.

It's the same emotional blackmail that is used in the name "Mothers Against Drunk Driving." Who could be against MOTHERS? Or FOR drunk driving? So you better not argue when they want to require breath-locks as standard in ALL new cars, and ban GTA. Because otherwise you're against mothers and for drunk driving.

A better example IMO: Renaming the Department of War to the Department of Defense. Has happened in virtually every country where they pretend to care what the people think.

GasBandit

Staff member
A better example IMO: Renaming the Department of War to the Department of Defense. Has happened in virtually every country where they pretend to care what the people think.
Though it's not canon by a LONG shot, Professor Quirrel in Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality lambasts how his subject is labeled "Defense Against the Dark Arts" and insists his students call it by its original name, "Battle Magic." Because you don't have to be a dark wizard to fight with magic.

GasBandit

Staff member
copypasta from Imgur:

Representative Marsha "Give Me Your Money And I'll say Whatever You Want" Blackburn, has proposed "The Internet Freedom Act" an ironically named piece of legislation that would wipe out any steps made to maintain freedom on the internet by the FCC.

Like most Republicans, however, she didn't actually come up with this herself. Mrs. Blackburn has been paid:
$25,000 from AT&T,
$20,000 from Comcast,
$20,000 from the Cable Industry Associated PAC,
$15,000 from Verizon,
$20,000 from the National Cable and Telecommunications Association, (which represents the largest companies in the industry)
$6,000 from Time Warner,
$5,500 from Dish Network, and
$5,000 from CenturyLink.

So clearly, she is in the best position to offer an unbiased and objective alternative to the FCC's plan. We should trust her implicitly because she obviously is acting independently of any outside source or influence, and is definitely not at all being controlled by anyone.

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/contrib.php?cid=N00003105&cycle=2014&type=C&newMem=N&recs=100

Jesus, it's always shocking how little corporations have to pay politicians to ensure favourable legislation that earns them untold profits.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jesus, it's always shocking how little corporations have to pay politicians to ensure favourable legislation that earns them untold profits.
That's just how much they've donated this cycle. She probably gets that much every 2 years.

That's almost $125,000, and doesn't include whatever other "donations" and salary she receives.

--Patrick

The European Parliament makes lovely bills and has great ideas; the European Council and European Commission hold all the actual power and one's made up of all the nation's government leaders, all just looking out for themselves and against any sort of push from Europe to do anything, and the other's 15 former national politicians who've been promoted away out of their little pond. both are surrounded by a horde of aids and assistants who make their policy for them, and who are...not that expensive, really. Same ballpark as that Congresswoman up there.

figmentPez

Staff member
9-year-old explains net neutrality:
Pretend ice cream stores gave away free milkshakes. But you had to buy a straw to drink them. But that's okay, because you still get free milkshakes. One day you're drinking a free milkshake and you look down and the guy that sold you the straw is pinching it almost shut. You can still get your milkshake, but it's really hard and takes a lot longer.

So you say, "Hey! Stop that!" And the straw guy says, "NO! Not until the ice cream store pays me money." And you say, "But I already paid you money for the straw." And the straw guy says, "I don't care. I just want more money."

figmentPez

Staff member
Remember the set of political cartoons recaptioned "The Cartoonist Has No Idea How Net Neutrality Works"? Well, apparently one of the cartoonists issued a DMCA takedown notice, because he has no idea how fair use works.

The most hilarious part is this quote from the cartoonist in question, Chip Bok:
Really, you people should stop hacking my cartoons to make a point. It’s not “fair use”. It’s illegal. Think the FCC will help me out here? You’re destroying my intellectual property and inserting your own stupid message. Are you Chinese? Come up with something on your own.
The amount of stupidity in that quote is astounding. "Hacking", ignorance of what parody and transformative work is, arrogantly assuming his own work was somehow destroyed, all with with a smattering of casual racism as well.