The Internet will never satisfy its lust for Net Neutrality and Bandwidth

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm not complaining, I just don't actually see Comcast fixing our shit anytime soon.
Depends on how bad they want that subsidy money to go to them instead of their potential competition/municipal broadband solution, I suppose.

Well I see them fixing their shit quickly in the next town over, because they are about to open up town owned fiber to the masses. But there is no competition for here except terrible DSL so I think it will be slow.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 65.97 Mbps (8.25 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.34 Mbps (0.54 MB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 13 ms
Jitter: 9 ms

1/29/2015, 7:00:07 PM
That was Charter's test on its own through Ookla. I went to Ookla's servers:

Depends on how bad they want that subsidy money to go to them instead of their potential competition/municipal broadband solution, I suppose.
What will happen is they'll whine that it'll cost too much, and get even more money from the government to update their infrastructure. Unless of course it's in a well populated area that can foster a lot of competition. And what about all the places that still have a government enforced monopoly? They still have no incentive to do anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
What will happen is they'll whine that it'll cost too much, and get even more money from the government to update their infrastructure. Unless of course it's in a well populated area that can foster a lot of competition. And what about all the places that still have a government enforced monopoly? They still have no incentive to do anything.
We can only hope the FCC continues to make sound decisions, realizing that the true path to innovation and cost effectiveness is through competition, and breaks monopolies wherever it can find them.

I just want to point out that this is my actual usual speed.
I also want to point out that I often get less than this at work.

I am extreeeemely interested in how this whole situation plays out, especially since it means I might finally be able to get decent Internet speed at my home. I live just one block (literally just under 500 feet) from this area's AT&T distribution node (the "terrorist target" type of node), and less than 1000 feet from another commercial provider's actual backbone (which for some reason detours around our downtown, probably due to pole placement), but we still can't get service > 25Mb/s, and even if we "settle" for the 25, the only carrier who'd bring it to our house is Charter, and we'd have to pay them about $75/mo for that privilege.

--Patrick

I will admit that this is a good start. Hopefully the trend continues. I just don't see this changing much other than giving the ISP's an excuse to squeeze more money out of us and the government.

Ideally what will happen is that the bigger ISPs that constantly whine, "Oh, we can't do all of that rollout. It would be soooooo expeeeeeensiiiiive" will start to lose subscribers to the other, smaller companies/municipalities that are more than willing to accept the federal subsidies to build out infrastructure at a less inflated cost, and they will come to realize that they had better also get with the program unless they want to go the way of the Pony Express and the telegraph.

--Patrick

Last edited:
Where I live, we -still- don't even have any hard cable isp's. We can't even get cable television. And DSL? Pfft, what's that? Hell, we don't even have over the air tv out here, your only sources for connectivity are satellite for tv/internet or cellular.

My craptacular DSL:

And that's the BEST result I've ever seen from this type of test.

What burns more is that the next community of any size up the road (admittedly, 120 miles up the road) is getting 75Mbps down and 30 up for cheaper, or 150 down, 30 up, and the greater of those is the SAME PRICE SAME COMPANY!!!! %$(*#$@(*$#@)$(!!!!! They don't have fibre here, but they have it there. GRRRR!!!

Oh god, so the town next to us tried for years to pass a measure to allow this massive fiber optic loop under the town to also be used domestically instead of just for businesses. The amount of money the big companies dumped into the campaign against it was hilarious. They succeeded the first time but lost the second.

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler said:
Using this authority, I am submitting to my colleagues the strongest open internet protections ever proposed by the FCC. These enforceable, bright-line rules will ban paid prioritization, and the blocking and throttling of lawful content and services. I propose to fully apply—for the first time ever—those bright-line rules to mobile broadband. My proposal assures the rights of internet users to go where they want, when they want, and the rights of innovators to introduce new products without asking anyone's permission.
(via Gizmodo)​

The article I saw didn't have the quote and left out the paid part of paid prioritization, which really bugged me. While I still feel that busting up then regulating infrastructure from the content and internet providers would lead to better service, look at any market where customers have competition between broadband providers (not DSL), this is better than what we could have.

What's so bad about DSL? I have customers on 100Mbps on it, as long as you are near to the port.

What's so bad about DSL? I have customers on 100Mbps on it, as long as you are near to the port.
You're dependent on the quality of the copper at the utility poles. In some cases copper dating back to the Truman administration. Those lines are insulated with pulp, essentially paper. And the outer casing has been exposed to decades upon decades of weather. Meaning they leak. In a heavy rain, the lines fill with water and bye bye goes the DSL. In a hard enough rain, the rest of the phone service goes with it.

I could tell within a a five-minute window when my DSL would go out just by looking at the weather radar. Verizon's answer to the downpour outside? "Reboot Windows." :facepalm:

There is that. We have mostly new wiring around here (thanks to copper thieves), and I always try to run a new cat5 if I can. You can typically hide it pretty well.

We are running a lot of fibre to the home now. I am jus waiting for my splicing kit.

He's done a lot more than I thought he would. This will definitely be a step in the right direction. Too bad the last mile won't be touched. Not many companies have big enough pockets to lay all that infrastructure.

Not many companies have big enough pockets to lay all that infrastructure.
Oh, they do, and they would, except that since there's no protocol/infrastructure interoperability standard, nobody wants to be the one to string all that cable and then have fiber win out, or vice versa, or have some miracle occur with DSL (i.e., copper) that has it come from behind to bury the both of them.

I'd rather see municipalities be responsible for their own loop, and just have that hook up to the backbone providers at some trunk point, and it looks like that could potentially be what eventually happens.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I see that AT&T is still rolling out their gigabit service at a very Google-like price of $70/mo but with their usual catch...
AT&T's $70 per-month pricing for gigabit service is the same price as Google Fiber, but AT&T charges an additional $29 a month to customers who opt out of AT&T's "Internet Preferences" program.
What program is that, you ask? Why, it's the DPI program where AT&T...
...tracks "the webpages you visit, the time you spend on each, the links or ads you see and follow, and the search terms you enter... AT&T Internet Preferences works independently of your browser's privacy settings regarding cookies, do-not-track, and private browsing. If you opt-in to AT&T Internet Preferences, AT&T will still be able to collect and use your Web browsing information independent of those settings." [...] If you chose to participate in the AT&T Internet Preferences program, your Internet traffic is routed to AT&T's Internet Preferences web browsing and analytics platform. If you chose not to participate in the AT&T Internet Preferences program, your Internet traffic is not routed to the Internet Preferences analytics platform.
Oh, but...
"AT&T may collect and use web browsing information for other purposes, as described in our Privacy Policy, even if you do not participate in the Internet Preferences program."
So why should I pay $30 extra if you're just going to collect my data anyway???
If that's how it's gonna be, I'd rather pay a VPN that $30/mo just to slam the door in AT&Ts face.

--Patrick

Welp, they did it.
The [new?] core net neutrality provisions are bans on blocking and throttling traffic, a ban on paid prioritization, and a requirement to disclose network management practices. Broadband providers will not be allowed to block or degrade access to legal content, applications, services, and non-harmful devices or favor some traffic over others in exchange for payment. There are exceptions for "reasonable network management" and certain data services that don't use the "public Internet." Those include heart monitoring services and the Voice over Internet Protocol services offered by home Internet providers. The reasonable network management exception applies to blocking and throttling but not paid prioritization.
--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It's not title 2 carrier status, but it's a step in the right direction.

Now comes the frantic wiggling to try to squeeze malevolent practices through loopholes.

SQUEAL LIKE A PIG YOU SHITS

http://arstechnica.com/business/201...aws-that-protect-isps-from-local-competition/

LEMME SEE YOU RUB YOUR NIPPLES NOW.

COMPETITION.
I do admit, I'm a little surprised you're ok with this. I know you like competition, but I figured you'd be against this particular because it pits private companies against government, generally considered an unfair advantage because the city won't need to make a profit necessarily, just cover costs in whatever way necessary (taxes, etc).

Not complaining, mind you. I think the competition would be good for society, as it would be in a couple other instances (health care insurance). Just surprised me is all.

GasBandit

Staff member
I do admit, I'm a little surprised you're ok with this. I know you like competition, but I figured you'd be against this particular because it pits private companies against government, generally considered an unfair advantage because the city won't need to make a profit necessarily, just cover costs in whatever way necessary (taxes, etc).

Not complaining, mind you. I think the competition would be good for society, as it would be in a couple other instances (health care insurance). Just surprised me is all.
Well, I might feel differently if the private providers hadn't spent my entire adult life being complete and utter fucksticks that would make the days of the Ma Bell monopoly look like a county fair.

Granted, I do have concerns about one or two little super-tiny addenda that were quietly put in it that, under certain interpretations, could lead to horrifying abuses of power, but shit, we have that now. It's not like the NSA hasn't already tapped every single one of our cell phones and put spyware in all of our harddrive firmwares already.

We're too far gone down the dystopian road, I want my handbasket to have good internet on the way to hell.

Reactions: Dei
Well, I might feel differently if the private providers hadn't spent my entire adult life being complete and utter fucksticks that would make the days of the Ma Bell monopoly look like a county fair.

Granted, I do have concerns about one or two little super-tiny addenda that were quietly put in it that, under certain interpretations, could lead to horrifying abuses of power, but shit, we have that now. It's not like the NSA hasn't already tapped every single one of our cell phones and put spyware in all of our harddrive firmwares already.

We're too far gone down the dystopian road, I want my handbasket to have good internet on the way to hell.
Hey, fair enough. :)