THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tolkien I don't think ever made it 100% clear what if any difference there were to goblins and orcs, though its clear they are related enough that Glamdring, Sting and Orcrist all glow when either are around.
From the introduction to the revised edition of the Hobbit (After LOTR was released):
This is a story of long ago. At that time the languages and letters were quite different from ours today. English is used to represent these languages. But two points may be noted. (1) In English the only correct plural of dwarf is dwarfs, and the adjective is dwarfish. In this story dwarves and dwarvish are used, but only when speaking of the ancient peopl to whom Thorin Oakenshield and his companions belonged. (2) Orc is not an English word. It occurs in one or two places but is usually translated goblin (or hobgoblin for the larger kinds). Orc is the hobbits' form of the name given at that time to these creatures, and it is not connected at all with our orc, ork, appled to sea animals of dolphin-kind.

Saw it just an hour ago. 3D, normal framerate, original version. It's bought, I'll take two of that and please can I watch that intro for Erebor again?!

The storm giants where overdone (my thought went 'wtf, Transformers'), but I can live with it. Much worse was Aragorn going MIA in Two Towers...
Azog... Apart from being dead in the lore for some time now, the first moment I saw him (pale, flatfaced etc.) I had kind of a Voldemort feeling there.
All in all the movie kept me in, I didn't notice the time go by (not interruption in the show and I'm glad for that!)
The loremonkey in me was a bit miffed about Radagast's rabbits taking him over the Misty Mountains in such short time, but then we don't know when he found about Dol Guldur and how much time has passed; so I'm ok with that too.
Can we please have the intertwined chase & flight scene with rabbit sled, goblins and dwarves to the Benny Hill them! :)

I had a good time and was much more pleased with the movie compared to the first time I left The Fellowship (I have calmed down over several stuff in LotR-trilogy by now and can enjoy it properly!)
Bring on part 2!

I saw it, normal frame rate unfortunately, as my theater didn't have a matinee showing with HFR.

It was awesome, and my only complaint was that it ended. I'm ready for part 2 like, right now.

I don't know if the higher framerate is truly the future, but I do know that the movie probably wouldn't have suffered if it'd been filmed at the old framerate.

I still think 3D is just a gimmick though.

I went and saw the movie tonight and it was just awesome. I have no idea what is divisive about the quality of the film.

Saw this for a second time, no HFR, no 3d, no IMAX. Still an awesome movie (even better the second time around), but I'm 100% sold on the HFR now. It's like going back and watching SD channels after you get HD.

Saw this for a second time, no HFR, no 3d, no IMAX. Still an awesome movie (even better the second time around), but I'm 100% sold on the HFR now. It's like going back and watching SD channels after you get HD.
I agree, I just saw it second time, with no HFR or 3D this time around, and I am sold on HFR so far.

Goblins and orcs are the same thing, with maybe some variations depending on where they come from, but the same thing. Orcs and Uruk-Hai are NOT the same thing.

Like checkered hat quoted, "goblin" is just another word for "orc", and the one most used by hobbits, which is why it's the one most used in The Hobbit. But even in LotR you some times get things like "goblin head on a stake" when reffering to orcs.

I never got over the fact that Glamdring is the Foehammer. A SWORD IS NOT A HAMMER! :mad:
If the sword was heavy enough and swung with enough force, it could mimic the effects of a hammer quite nicely, probably.

Or Glamdring's wielder could use that trick where they grip the blade with a gauntleted hand, and smash enemies with the pommel and handguard. Doubt Gandalf ever tried something like that, but then again he doesn't wear gauntlets very often.

Just saw the movie, enjoyed it greatly.

When it comes to Orcrist and Glamdring, I feel so jaded by RPGs, because the first thing that came into my mind was "So it's just in a troll cave maybe thirty feet in? No ancient catacombs? No epic traps? Who the hell were the guys that lost these supposed epic blades anyways?" I know that's how it was in the book, but seeing it in the movie just made that part of my brain get scratched a bit.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Eh, you know how elves are. They live so long they gather all kinds of useless junk over the centuries. I'm betting the swords thrown out with the rest of the garbage when the nearest elf last cleaned out the piles of old newspapers, moldy books and lembas delivery boxes from his house...

I guess I'm going against the grain a bit here, but this movie fell into my "warn away friends who aren't LOTR-diehards and recommend renting" category.

As an LOTR-diehard, I had a really good time watching it, but there are some serious pacing and tone issues in this film that mostly stem from PJ trying to up the epic quotient of the Hobbit to be more like LOTR. I'm not saying he shouldn't have done it, on the contrary I think it was a necessity, but the end result felt very inconsistent to me. On the one hand, I loved the greater emphasis on Dol Guldur, on the other, I found Radagast's funny-man moments to be annoying and kind of out of nowhere.

Also, the fact that Richard Armitage always had the best lighting was a bit too obvious, especially compared to the LOTR movies which were a little more subtle (somehow). That said, I was pretty fine with the addition of Azog as trilogy baddie. Bolg showing up 95% of the way into the book and only in reference is one of the weaker bits of the actual book, and having Azog survive Moria and be the arch-baddie works much better.

Scrotal chin had me giggling into my hand for about 10 straight minutes.

That bind-on-pickup ring was pretty cool though. Infinite invisibility whenever you put it on? Yes please!

You just know that thing's going to get a nerf when the next update rolls around though. My guess is it'll have some sort of curse or disadvantage attached to it.

That bind-on-pickup ring was pretty cool though. Infinite invisibility whenever you put it on? Yes please!

You just know that thing's going to get a nerf when the next update rolls around though. My guess is it'll have some sort of curse or disadvantage attached to it.
Well, it was kind of necessary, you know. If you're going to switch it from BoP to BoA, you really need to add some kind of limitation.

Eh, you know how elves are. They live so long they gather all kinds of useless junk over the centuries. I'm betting the swords thrown out with the rest of the garbage when the nearest elf last cleaned out the piles of old newspapers, moldy books and lembas delivery boxes from his house...
No wonder Elrond just let Thorin and Gandalf keep them, the whole time he was talking them up he was probably thinking "How cute, didn't I used to spread butter on my toast with this?"

Maybe that's why he kept Narsil around, he "upgraded" his butter knife. That room with the statue was actually the kitchen.

P.S. Anyone else find it funny that Peter Jackson took the passage of the stone giants playing a game during the thunderstom and took that as them randomly beating the everliving shit out of eachother?

When it comes to Orcrist and Glamdring, I feel so jaded by RPGs, because the first thing that came into my mind was "So it's just in a troll cave maybe thirty feet in? No ancient catacombs? No epic traps? Who the hell were the guys that lost these supposed epic blades anyways?" I know that's how it was in the book, but seeing it in the movie just made that part of my brain get scratched a bit.
In the books they had a key that dropped from the trolls... they just got really lucky with the loot rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.