THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foley artists often try to add it even if the director wouldn't normally allow it. Sometimes they get away with it.

I'm not surprised Peter likes to have it in there. A little easter egg.

I wonder where his children show up in this series. They were in nearly every shot that had children in LoTR - Hobbiton, helms deep, gondor, etc. I did enjoy Peter Jackson getting killed by Legolas' arrow.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I did enjoy Peter Jackson getting killed by Legolas' arrow.
Hee hee hee, yeah, that was such a cheesy death scene I couldn't stop laughing at it :D

As for PJ's children... I'm guessing they're old enough now to play young hobbits? That's my only guess, since I haven't read The Hobbit - something I intend to remedy as soon as I can buy me a copy.

Foley artists often try to add it even if the director wouldn't normally allow it. Sometimes they get away with it.

I'm not surprised Peter likes to have it in there. A little easter egg.

I wonder where his children show up in this series. They were in nearly every shot that had children in LoTR - Hobbiton, helms deep, gondor, etc. I did enjoy Peter Jackson getting killed by Legolas' arrow.
Not Foley. Sound FX guys. Foley has nothing to do with stuff like the Wilhelm Scream. Foley is all recorded live, the Wilhelm Scream is from a SFX library.

Hee hee hee, yeah, that was such a cheesy death scene I couldn't stop laughing at it :D

As for PJ's children... I'm guessing they're old enough now to play young hobbits? That's my only guess, since I haven't read The Hobbit - something I intend to remedy as soon as I can buy me a copy.
PJ's daughter was one of the hobbitkids in Fellowship listening to Bilbo's tale about the trolls during his birthday. See the end of this video for how she looks now.

Wait what?
In the scene where Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas have emerged from the mountain and convinced the ghost army to fight with them, they see the ships are coming down the river.

Aragorn threatens the ships, they laugh at him, then he asks Legolas to fire a shot across the bow of the ship. Gimli says, "mind your aim" then taps the bow as the shot is fired, causing it to hit one of the people on the ship, who reels about with wide eyes and falls down rather comically.

The man that was shot is Peter Jackson.

As sixpackshaker points out, it might be that this is on the extended edition. Perhaps after hearing my description someone can confirm if that bit is cut out on the theater version.

The scene continues with the "you and what army" and "this army" lines with the ghost army taking over the ships.

That was only ever in the extended edition. The regular theatre edition only had Aragorn and co arriving at the battlefield after cutting away when he convinced the ghost army.

That was only ever in the extended edition. The regular theatre edition only had Aragorn and co arriving at the battlefield after cutting away when he convinced the ghost army.
Yet another reason the extended edition is really the only edition worth watching.

fade

Staff member
Watched it, it was everything I hoped for and more. It's been YEARS since I enjoyed a movie this much.

Some people seem to dislike the movie and that's their problem. 128 1/4 bit encryption, true 3d max pro was fantastic and I highly recommend it to people without issues like blindness or trolololoitis.

The first 20 minutes just BLEW MY MIND.

Oh and the singing? And that theme every time it came on? WOW.. SHIVERS UP MY SPINE!!!!

When the fuck is the next movie coming?

OH and also...

View attachment 9327

Fantastic movie.
I find myself agreeing with you a lot lately. That is the exact same reaction I had to the dwarves' song.

I had my giant nitpick about Orcrist and Glamdring not glowing. But I guess they wanted to make Bilbo's sword stand out more so people would instantly recognize it at Frodo's. Then I sat there trying to remember if Glamdring glowed in Fellowship, and now I feel the need to rewatch it.

I had my giant nitpick about Orcrist and Glamdring not glowing. But I guess they wanted to make Bilbo's sword stand out more so people would instantly recognize it at Frodo's. Then I sat there trying to remember if Glamdring glowed in Fellowship, and now I feel the need to rewatch it.
It did.
(I think)

My brother and I were mainly giddy about the Goblin King's "IT'S THE FOOOOEHAMMERR!" because it reminded us of the old Hobbit cartoon and this ridiculous scene with his death:

I won't see the movie until this weekend, but I started reading the book again. I had forgotten how much I love the book, and how much more fun it is (to me) to read than the LOTR series. The lighter tone really makes Tolkien's writing style shine. Maybe it's nostalgia doing it, but something about it makes me want to read it out loud.

Objectively, the movie has storytelling and pacing issues all over.

Subjectively, I loved nearly all of it.
Jackson has a problem with pacing. He always has. The LOTR films are prime examples of it. I think his writing crew get overwhelmed by the size of the story and struggle to find that smooth flow they need to find.

That being said this movie wasn't as bad structurally as Return of the King. I would rate them (for story and structure) like this:
1) Fellowship
2) Two Towers
3) Hobbit 1
4) Return of the 18 endings

I giggled at every audible gasp at every restart of the endings from the woman sitting in front of my at RotK... I giggled a lot that night.

Cajungal

Staff member
I giggled at every audible gasp at every restart of the endings from the woman sitting in front of my at RotK... I giggled a lot that night.
Same thing happened at my theatre! And I went with a friend who'd read LOTR 3-4 times since she was in eighth grade, so a die hard fan. She was SO PISSED at the people chuckling at all the different endings.

I was one of the people really surprised at the multiple endings, especially how they would fake you out. People say something profound, screen fades to dark with happy music playing... then BOOM more movie.

I was one of the people really surprised at the multiple endings, especially how they would fake you out. People say something profound, screen fades to dark with happy music playing... then BOOM more movie.
And yet, the one ending I really wanted to see never made it into the movie

That is, the hobbits going home and kicking sarumans ass... Again.

Fuck I really want to see this.... There isn't anything good in theaters over here.

Sure there is.

There's uhm...

There's...

I think Return to 1942 came out. I'm sure they'll...cover new ground in that movie....

Hrm.

*seriously considers a run to hong kong *

Sure there is.

There's uhm...

There's...

I think Return to 1942 came out. I'm sure they'll...cover new ground in that movie....

Hrm.

*seriously considers a run to hong kong *
if you do, let me know (probably can't afford it solely for the sake of seeing a movie)

I would also like to see bond.

Loved the movie, will not be seeing anymore in 48 fps. There were some scenes it enhanced (such as Thorin slowmo walking through fire towards bad orc) but man....Radaghast's scenes did not look good at all and overall I couldn't adjust. Everything looked like it was moving in slight fast forward. No one I was with liked it either much and the murmur among the crowd coming out of it was all about how weird it looked.

Actually, it worked very well in slow motion. I thought it was the scenes with a lot of motion where it really made things weird.[DOUBLEPOST=1355968195][/DOUBLEPOST]
It's 2am so I'll use point form cause I need to get to bed
  • Overall, loved it. Was smiling the whole time, left with a giant smile. But analytically, there is a mixed bag of contradictions involved.
  • Some of the liberties taken were mind boggling and made me kind of mad
  • Some of the liberties taken were AWESOME and made me giddy. DWARVES FIGHTING THINGS. YES.
  • Takes a while to get used to the 48fps. Beginning of the movie made me uncomfortable because of the uncanny valleyness of it, and the lighting used didn't help.
  • 48fps worked INSANELY well in some parts (1/6), was completely unnoticeable in others (about 2/3), and looked like shit in some (the other 1/6)
  • Picture is freaking CRYSTAL CLEAR, but that doesn't always work for the best
  • Martin Freeman as Bilbo warrants mention for how awesome he was
  • Same with Radagast the Brown. Hope we see more of him in part two.
  • I LOVED the dwarves escape from the Misty Mountains, was disappointed in Bilbo's (They changed a lot from the book, and I can't figure out why, storywise, they did so).
Truth, the high clarity of the picture coupled with the high frame rate really made some of the CG look not nearly as good as it would without it. The HFR is not kind to CG.

I commented that Gandalf splitting that rock in the troll camp looked like something from a school play in 48fps. Also when they were in the trees, got a glimpse of Ian's stunt double. :p

Greater detail can kill the movie magic.

My wife is maybe going out of town the weekend after Christmas, so it seems like an ideal opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do--watch all three extended editions of LOTR back to back to back.

Or I can take my cousins to The Hobbit... but I could do that any weekend.

My wife is maybe going out of town the weekend after Christmas, so it seems like an ideal opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do--watch all three extended editions of LOTR back to back to back
... while naked and coated in honey?

I mean, if you'll be home all alone, go all out!

Status
Not open for further replies.