THE HOBBIT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to go to movies alone too. I've always felt that movies were anti-social. If I'm gonna hang out with friends, I'll hang out with friends. I dont wanna stare at a screen for 2 hours. I can do that by myself.

Goddammit, friend... Tell me how many people are gonna go to the show so I can fucking reserve the tickets already! They're going fast!

Gah... This is why I hate going to the movies with more than two people...
I created a facebook event in like October, saying "WE ARE GOING TO THE DECEMBER 14TH SHOWTHING of the 48FPS version. TICKETS GO ON SALE NOV 7TH AND WE ARE BUYING THEM THEN." Had like 14 people respond, and it was clear most of them had not read the date or time. November 4th, I find the list of potential venues, put the question out via mass text message and on facebook. No responses. So November 6th, I post that we're going to the Scotiabank, 7:15pm. November 7th, and send out two mass text messages. November 8th, I buy 8 tickets, tell everyone else "December 14th, Scotiabank Theatre. Get your tickets.".
One friend, who had already confirmed he was coming back in October mind you, only last week asked me when we were getting our tickets and for what showing.
Do not wait.

I almost always go to movies by myself too. The only times I don't are when I go with a lady friend.

And by lady friend I mean my sister. :(

I should clarify. It was great.

HFR isn't going to be for everyone, but damn is it crisp. So many moments I felt like I was there, running with them. And Gollum! Brief but so evocative.

I should clarify. It was great.

HFR isn't going to be for everyone, but damn is it crisp. So many moments I felt like I was there, running with them. And Gollum! Brief but so evocative.
The reviews I've been reading mostly lead to the general consensus: Tolkien fans will love the shit out of it, everyone with only the LOTR movies under their belt will probably think it's a little long, but over all it's very good.

And I can't wait. I will be seeing it in 20 hours.

I can't wait for the inevitable comments that it was a ripoff of Lord of the Rings, and even recycled some actors and sets.

It does make me nervous, though, that some of those comments might be serious.

The reviews I've been reading mostly lead to the general consensus: Tolkien fans will love the shit out of it, everyone with only the LOTR movies under their belt will probably think it's a little long, but over all it's very good.

And I can't wait. I will be seeing it in 20 hours.

Fun fact: I kinda hate the lotr films...

There goes my geek card. That said I really really enjoyed the hobbit.

Why do I hate the lotr films or why did I like the hobbit? For the first point, I honestly don't know. I can recognize that they are good films but I find them almost tedius. I enjoy that setting. I feel like I should like them but for some reason they don't click for me.

As for why I liked the hobbit, without giving away too much. I felt bilbo was a better character than frodo. This film was serious but lighter at times making for a more enjoyable overall viewing. Gandolf actually seems like a competent wizard in this. I thought the overall story was more interesting as well.

For a movie that was padded, I felt like more happened.

The reviews I've been reading mostly lead to the general consensus: Tolkien fans will love the shit out of it
Remains to be seen, but I personally doubt that will be the clear consensus amongst Tolkien fans in a week's time. To my taste, the film takes far too many liberties even on plot points where it doesn't have to, and goes for too many cheap laughs.
Fun fact: I kinda hate the lotr films...
The LotR films were not perfect, but leagues better than this in my opinion.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is by far and away the best 3D I've seen, and I have a feeling that's in no small part to the 48fps. It really looks visibly different than other films, at times it feels more like some sort of astoundingly elaborate stage play than like a movie. It looks so real at points I wanted to look for the fake, and very rarely do the special effects reveal that, so my brain was constantly confused as to how it could look the way it did. When I could ignore that part of my brain and just watch, it was amazing.

As for why I liked the hobbit, without giving away too much. I felt bilbo was a better character than frodo.
That's not entirely surprising seeing as Frodo, much as I loved the LOTR trilogy, is a pretty meh character. I like Sam far more than Frodo.

Status
Not open for further replies.