The EPIC WIN Thread 2: EPIC HARDER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning, while cleaning off my overridden machine to make room for some Monkey Island goodness, I found a folder of short stories I wrote before. I read one, and it didn't totally suck.

Would have been a bigger win had I found the folder before the June contest ended, but still.

My son works tonight, my daughter is going to a friend's house. My wife is going to an adult "toy" party. I'll have the house to myself until midnight or so!

No so epic: I have no idea what I'm going to do. Probably watch TV or play Titan Quest. Just like I usually do anyway.

B

Batdan

Edrondol said:
My son works tonight, my daughter is going to a friend's house. My wife is going to an adult "toy" party. I'll have the house to myself until midnight or so!

No so epic: I have no idea what I'm going to do. Probably watch TV or play Titan Quest. Just like I usually do anyway.
Or worry about what will happen when your wife comes back from said party. EEP!

Cheesy1 said:
In just over 24 hours I will be on a plane heading to see my girl in Virginia! :aaahhh: :heart:

Don't forget to whistlet Robin Hood (I do, indeed, have the memory of an elephant while at the same time having the conecetrational skills of a goldfish. Why do you...SQUIRREL! :-P)

L

LordRavage

I won the Halforum Short Story contest. It feels pretty epic. :D

(Still in Happy Happy Joy Joy mode.)

Welp the girl I had been seeing for about two months and me are finally "dating" as of last night.

So thats good...

I am trying to quit smoking too so I will post in here again when I make it a week...

HoboNinja said:
Welp the girl I had been seeing for about two months and me are finally "dating" as of last night.

So thats good...

I am trying to quit smoking too so I will post in here again when I make it a week...
Both excellent. :D

J

jaythen

Ok, mixed win and rant.

OK, win first with some background for setup.

Background:
I have been divorced for over a year now, and in that time I have been only on three dates.
The ladies were nice, but didn't feel any connection or draw to them after going out and spending time together.
Friends suggested Okcupid.com and Plentyoffish.com to get back into the dating scene. Though PoF got me 3 dates, didnt have any luck with Okcupid. Not man-bawing, just not had any good luck with the dating scene.

The Win part:
I posted an ad on craigslist. Ok, I know most of you are cringing right there. Didn't hear much back except from people dropping drama in their initial email to the obviously expected spam and one scam. The 30 days were just about up when I got an email that looked like it was from a real person.
The person that wrote me is new in town and she is looking to make new friends/date.
As the emails progressed, I found myself really interested, and she asked (before I could) to meet.
We hung out for the evening the following week having dinner, me showing her around town, playing mini golf, and having a great time.
She is a doctor starting her residency at the local hospital, has geek tendencies (loves xkcd and a few other webcomics, reads Dresden novels-for a few points), lived on a farm and participated in dog shows with her mom (though she dislikes them herself), and to me is just gorgeous.
Last time we spent time together, we saw Away We Go (great movie by the way), had dinner and wandered downtown talking. Went back to her place (her first time taking me inside her apartment) and talked for another hour. When leaving, we still found ourselves saying goodnight, but still talking, then saying goodnight. Each time, a hug and goodnight.

Rant:
We have such different schedules that it is difficult to co-ordinate time together.
Divorce left me financially strapped for a while and just now getting back on me feet. Right now, I am living at my parents and I want to get out for many various reasons, let alone just want to be on my own again.
I may be too shy or cautious of moving to fast that I may have missed or might miss an opportunity to show her that I am interested in being more than just friends.
Sometimes, with email or text, it takes a while before I hear back. Leaves me thinking that either I may have been too forward, though it may be that she might be very busy.
Her being a doctor, me being well, a retail worker, I have reservations about myself being the right match for what she may be looking for. I know I may be worrying too much on that part.

I am being patient with her schedule and getting to know her enough before making an attempt at showing more than friend interest. I just hate the waiting part, but I find her awesome and willing to wait to not ruin it.

Been having a rough week. Yesterday I was scheduled to get a haircut and see Spamalot. I was already feeling like crap before the show and then my friend told me there'd be all these other people there. These days I don't do spontaneous socializing very well at all (not an anxiety thing, it's just physically very hard on me) so I was kinda pissed he hadn't told me earlier.

Well, the friend we drove to the show with and whom I sat next to was awesome. We hit it off and it was very easy to talk to him. So that was win.

The other friend (who was there with his wife) was not. He was boring and kind of a dick -- he kept saying the "Holy Grail" lines in the show loudly before the actors even had a chance. When he came back from intermission I was standing, and he was sort of slouching on my seat as we talked. At one point I started gently trying to get him off the seat so I could sit. He was all "yeah we'll sit when it starts." Still nice, I said "Actually I'd kinda like to sit now." He made this "wow what a bitch" kind of face and gesture and moved.

So I VERY nicely and off-handedly said "Yeah, you know I have this cane here, so sometimes I just really need to sit." Pause. Him: "I didn't know you had a cane." Another pause. Again: "I didn't know you had a cane." Effortless guilt trip win.

And finally -- epic Spamalot win. Absolutely great show (and you might know I'm a big theatre snob). So glad I never listened to the soundtrack or had any of it spoiled for me. Had a sore throat last night from all the laughing.

Today I am a complete crap puddle but it was totally, totally worth it. :D :thumbsup:

Finally have some interviews lined up. The manager of the deli I applied to is very eager to introduce me to his assistant managers and hiring guy tomorrow after a meeting, and if that doesn't go I have another interview at an electrician company to work as an assistant or apprentice (not sure which).

Hoping for the deli job, personally, I kinda miss cooking.

We live in a two-family duplex and our landlord is upstairs. He is among other things a terrific cook. He was having a little party with some friends where they were testing out all different kinds of pizza recipes (very thin crust, Italian style), and because a couple of people cancelled, he brought down slices of each pizza for both me and Mr. ZM.

1. Margherita
2. Italian sausage
3. Pancetta, egg, and arugula
4. Caramelized onions, truffle cheese, anchovies (better than it sounds)
5. Caprese (heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, balsamic vinegar)
6. Another type of Italian sausage AND omg drool spicy Cajun chicken sausage
7. Portobello, proscuitto, shaved parmesan and pine nuts

This was over the course of two or three hours so I'm not even stuffed, just very happily full of delicious food.

ZenMonkey said:
We live in a two-family duplex and our landlord is upstairs. He is among other things a terrific cook. He was having a little party with some friends where they were testing out all different kinds of pizza recipes (very thin crust, Italian style), and because a couple of people cancelled, he brought down slices of each pizza for both me and Mr. ZM.

1. Margherita
2. Italian sausage

This was over the course of two or three hours so I'm not even stuffed, just very happily full of delicious food.
Dayum ZM, that description made me hungry. :uhhuh:

BlackCrossCrusader said:
Dayum ZM, that description made me hungry. :uhhuh:
Everything was so, so good. He even used Italian flour for the crust. And the whole experience was like pizza omakase. I was very happy I had barely eaten all day so I had room to enjoy.

Epic wins, you say?

I get to fly to Germany in 53 days...

Also we finalized the script for my class animation project.

It's... it's not very good :eek:rly: I'd post it for you guys to take a look, but I'd prolly get yelled at.

W

Wasabi Poptart

ZenMonkey said:

1. Margherita
2. Italian sausage

I'll have numbers 1, 2, 5, and 7 - 2 slices each to go please. :D

Best hour on the phone I've had in years. Too bad she's in PA till August, then moving back to CA.

Also, I HAVE A JOB WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Going to be working at a Jason's Deli in Norcross, not sure what I'll be doing but the hiring manager really wants me working there.

I just got an awesome edition of Paradise Lost (with original illustrations!) and of the Divine Comedy. :smug:

Me: "Clearly the Maryann character is inspired by the Bacchae, so she either worships that ancient god or is cleary some form of psychic vampire who feeds off the lust filled frenzy of others.
My wife: "She can't be a vampire, she goes out in the daylight.."
Me: "I said psychic vampire, there's a difference. C'mon now get with the program."

I'm back from Virginia! I had a very fun and eye-opening experiance there. Now I just got to figure out how I'm gonna get back there permanently. God, I love this woman! Again, I'd like to thank the awesome people here who helped make this life-changing event for me possible.

Both my girl and I thank you deeply!

This isn't very epic, but still good.

I haven't posted much of anything in the forum since mid-May, b/c I have been crazy busy in the lab. I am mentoring two undergrads, and juggling three projects. At first, it was really stressful, but I got a routine going and have been quite productive. I have been working like a mad man (>60hrs/wk), but the days fly by. I will look at my watch at around 10am and think, "Oh no! They day is getting away from me!" It's good though, and my boss is happy as a clam since I am getting a lot done. He said once these 3 projects are finished, I can graduate!! WOO-HOO! But, that'll be about a year. Still cool to hear it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.