[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

If they use the the Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti version of Harley, they can call the movie whatever the hell they want and I’d be there.

I would have preferred a Harley movie to definitely be that version (with all her great supporting characters: the building tenants, the Gang of Harleys, the roller derby team, Sy Borgman, and Poison Ivy) but as long as it’s a version where she’s dumped Joker, I’m in.

If they use the the Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti version of Harley, they can call the movie whatever the hell they want and I’d be there.

I would have preferred a Harley movie to definitely be that version (with all her great supporting characters: the building tenants, the Gang of Harleys, the roller derby team, Sy Borgman, and Poison Ivy) but as long as it’s a version where she’s dumped Joker, I’m in.
Spoiler: the end reveal is of the Joker, because all of Harley's actions and fall towards crime and craziness is all one big plot by the Joker to make her more of an agent for chaos and mayhem.

figmentPez

Staff member
Joaquin Phoenix never considered the possibility that Joker would inspire copycats.

"“Yet Phoenix doesn’t seem to have considered this kind of question at all. So when I put it to him – aren’t you worried that this film might perversely end up inspiring exactly the kind of people it’s about, with potentially tragic results? – his fight-or-flight response kicks in. Mine too, just about.

"It takes an hour’s peace-brokering with a Warner Bros PR to get things back on track. Phoenix panicked, he later explains, because the question genuinely hadn’t crossed his mind before – then asks me, not for the last time, what an intelligent answer might have sounded like.”

Joaquin Phoenix never considered the possibility that Joker would inspire copycats.

"“Yet Phoenix doesn’t seem to have considered this kind of question at all. So when I put it to him – aren’t you worried that this film might perversely end up inspiring exactly the kind of people it’s about, with potentially tragic results? – his fight-or-flight response kicks in. Mine too, just about.

"It takes an hour’s peace-brokering with a Warner Bros PR to get things back on track. Phoenix panicked, he later explains, because the question genuinely hadn’t crossed his mind before – then asks me, not for the last time, what an intelligent answer might have sounded like.”
That sounds like an honest response... like, if you has asked the writer of the Catcher in the Rye what he thought of it potentially inspiring people to commit murders, he might have done the same thing. I'm just wandering what the response is going to be once someone actually puts on the mask and kills someone.

In other news: Jared Leto started a cult.

I mean, look what happened with V For Vendetta.

--Patrick
I think the difference here is that Alan Moore wouldn't give two shits about people killing in his name or in the names of his works, except to express announce that he'll get to claim more ownership of those killings than he ever did of Watchmen. Because Alan Moore's a fucking evil lich that hates everyone these days.

figmentPez

Staff member
That sounds like an honest response... like, if you has asked the writer of the Catcher in the Rye what he thought of it potentially inspiring people to commit murders, he might have done the same thing. I'm just wandering what the response is going to be once someone actually puts on the mask and kills someone.
Salinger didn't write his novel about a character with a toxic fandom, in an era when mass shootings were on the rise. Arguably, he did write it in an era when the effect of mass media on mental health was an issue, so he shouldn't have been completely ignorant of the possibility that someone would ask what he expected people to take away from his book.

People ask directors and actors all the time if they think their movie glorifies violence. People ask John Woo if they think he glamorizes guns. People accuse Michael Bay of making military propaganda/fetish films. It really shouldn't be a shocking question to ask a film that gives the Joker a backstory if the actor thinks that people will use that story to justify their own violent desires.

Salinger didn't write his novel about a character with a toxic fandom, in an era when mass shootings were on the rise. Arguably, he did write it in an era when the effect of mass media on mental health was an issue, so he shouldn't have been completely ignorant of the possibility that someone would ask what he expected people to take away from his book.

People ask directors and actors all the time if they think their movie glorifies violence. People ask John Woo if they think he glamorizes guns. People accuse Michael Bay of making military propaganda/fetish films. It really shouldn't be a shocking question to ask a film that gives the Joker a backstory if the actor thinks that people will use that story to justify their own violent desires.
I mean, particularly since mass shooter James Holmes literally claimed to have been inspired by the Joker when he shot up a theater in Aurora, Colorado.

"So hey the last Batman movie to prominently feature the Joker inspired a mass shooter to murder a bunch of people. Aren't you worried that this movie will do the same thing?" seems like kind of an obvious question.

I mean, particularly since mass shooter James Holmes literally claimed to have been inspired by the Joker when he shot up a theater in Aurora, Colorado.

"So hey the last Batman movie to prominently feature the Joker inspired a mass shooter to murder a bunch of people. Aren't you worried that this movie will do the same thing?" seems like kind of an obvious question.
Yeah about that

https://www.denverpost.com/2015/09/...015/09/18/meyer-the-james-holmes-joker-rumor/

Looking into it, it seems the label comes from Glenn Rotkovich, owner of a gun club in Byers, Colorado. Holmes had emailed in an application to join. Glenn Rotkovich called Holmes several times throughout the following days to invite him to a mandatory orientation, but could only reach his answering machine. Holmes left Rotkovich one voicemail in reply. Due to the nature of Holmes' voicemail, which Rotkovich described as "bizarre", "freaky", "guttural", "spoken with a deep voice", "incoherent and rambling", Rotkovich instructed his staff to inform him if Holmes showed up, though Holmes neither appeared at the gun range nor called back. "In hindsight, looking back – and if I'd seen the movies – maybe I'd say it was like the Joker – I would have gotten the Joker out of it... It was like somebody was trying to be as weird as possible," Rotkovich said.

That got picked up by the press (the article I read this was from Fox) and that's probably where it snowballed from.

figmentPez

Staff member
Re: Joker

The director of Joker doesn't want to do comedies anymore, because he's sick of people telling him that his offensive "jokes" aren't funny.

So he made a movie about a comedian who turns violent, and people tell him his offensive jokes aren't funny.

Re: Joker

The director of Joker doesn't want to do comedies anymore, because he's sick of people telling him that his offensive "jokes" aren't funny.

So he made a movie about a comedian who turns violent, and people tell him his offensive jokes aren't funny.
I'm so glad I already wasn't seeing this movie.

I watched Dark Knight Rises again recently, even Anne Hathaway is going to be a hard act to follow for Kravitz, cause I thought Hathaway was almost perfect as Selina Kyle.

As far as looks go, I think Zoe Kravitz is brilliant casting. She even has some vaguely feline features. It’s just a stupid vocal minority with an internet megaphone.

Last edited:
I don't know who Eartha Kitt is, but I only really know two big actresses as Catwoman...Michelle Pfeiffer, and Halle Berry. One white, one black. So....huh? As long as she's hot in spandex, she can be Catwoman.

I don't know who Eartha Kitt is, but I only really know two big actresses as Catwoman...Michelle Pfeiffer, and Halle Berry. One white, one black. So....huh? As long as she's hot in spandex, she can be Catwoman.
Eartha Kitt was a singer, dancer, actor, and songwriter. She was kind of a big deal in the 60's, especially after she basically told Lady Bird Johnson to go fuck herself in regards to Vietnam, which sort of messed up her career for about a decade. I'm not surprised that in the more recent years that people forgot she was Catwoman, as Batman 1960's been mostly reserved to stuff like TVLand since the 2000's. In the more modern era, I personally remember her doing a long line of childrens works, such as the voice of Yzma in Emperor's New Groove or Vexus in My Life as a Teenage Robot, as well as roles in Holes, Famous Jett Jackson, Harriet the Spy, and more.

But that's really not the point here; these assholes aren't arguing in good faith. They just hate they don't feel like their in control anymore, so they are being intentionally obtuse.

I'm not shocked, but shit assholes, she's been played by black women since the fucking sixties. Fuck off.

You know what wasn't a big deal in the fucking racist ass sixties? A black woman playing a white comic character. Because racist ass adults didn't give a shit about some kid's show based on some kid's comics.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, I forget, did someone here already talk about the new Harley Quinn series? If not, here's a trailer.

The first episode was pretty enjoyable. It's NOT FOR KIDS. In fact, my only gripe is that the profanity seems a little "we're gonna overuse profanity because WE CAN" territory. But the premise is interesting, the characters are great, the dialog is excellent.

I mean, it's not enough to pony up for yet another subscription service (DC has its own subscription service. Who knew?)... but if you're into piracy, it's worth checking out.

So, I forget, did someone here already talk about the new Harley Quinn series? If not, here's a trailer.

The first episode was pretty enjoyable. It's NOT FOR KIDS. In fact, my only gripe is that the profanity seems a little "we're gonna overuse profanity because WE CAN" territory. But the premise is interesting, the characters are great, the dialog is excellent.

I mean, it's not enough to pony up for yet another subscription service (DC has its own subscription service. Who knew?)... but if you're into piracy, it's worth checking out.
This is the one with Kaley Cuoco voicing Harley, right?

*watches trailer*

Ah yes, that's the one. I'm having trouble not hearing Penny trying to do a tough-girl voice, but otherwise it looks interesting.

Yeah, just watched the first episode and totally agree. There's some really good humour, but the swearing is 14 year old edge-lord level. The Calendar Man gag actually got me to giggle out loud.