[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

They aren't going to do a Ted Kord Blue Beetle when they've got a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle movie coming out in August.

Then again, Susan Sarandon is playing Victoria Kord in this one so...
Gunn said they wanted the universe to be more connected, so they could introduce Ted in Jaime's movie, then he could go have adventures with Booster on the TV Show (and occasionally be a mentor to Jaime).

I'm of the opinion you can never have too many Beetles, but I know they worry about viewers being 'confused'. They did have both Barry and Jay on the CW Flash. And Ted and Jaime have the advantage of being very different Beetles (Tech vs Aliens).

I think things sound generally encouraging for the DCU. The line-up sounds pretty reasonable, and they've got a really interesting slate of creative people working on it. My main concern is how weasel-like Peter Safran sounded talking about Batgirl -- "That film was not releasable. I actually think that [president and CEO of Warner Bros. Discovery David] Zaslav and the team made a very bold and courageous decision to cancel it because it would have hurt DC. It would have hurt those people involved."

figmentPez

Staff member
I just realized that Flashpoint being adapted into a movie means that Justice League: The Nail will probably never even have a chance at being adapted to live action. Personally I think The Nail is a much better story than Flashpoint, and I'm sad it gets so little attention.

Okay but... WHY MICHAEL KEATON?

Listen, I understand that No Way Home merging all the Spider-Man movies was fun and all, but that was a Spider-Man movie, this is a FLASH MOVIE, and yet half the trailer seems dedicated to multiverse Batmen including Burton and Nolan universes.

figmentPez

Staff member
Because Val Kilmer's voice was damaged by throat cancer, Kevin Conroy is dead, and George Clooney wasn't available?

They're not exactly following the Flashpoint comics, but it's still likely that this is Thomas Wayne and not Bruce. They needed an older Batman, and Michael Keaton has been doing superhero movies lately, so...

They're not exactly following the Flashpoint comics, but it's still likely that this is Thomas Wayne and not Bruce. They needed an older Batman, and Michael Keaton has been doing superhero movies lately, so...
No he's definitely playing Tim Burton's Batman. Same batmobile, batwing, and even the old theme song played during his specific section of the trailer. I thought it was going to be Thomas Wayne too but this is full Tim Burton Batman.

Listen, I understand that No Way Home merging all the Spider-Man movies was fun and all, but that was a Spider-Man movie, this is a FLASH MOVIE, and yet half the trailer seems dedicated to multiverse Batmen including Burton and Nolan universes.
Because Michael Keaton's career has been on an upswing since Spider-man: Homecoming and one of the upcoming DC movies (that last I heard was cancelled) was going to be a Batman Beyond film with him as Old Bruce Wayne mentoring a new Batman in a gritty Blade Runner inspired futuristic Gotham. But then Batgirl got canned (so his role in that is destroyed) and all of this was already filmed so who the fuck knows what is happening now.

I would have said Keaton's career has been on the upswing since Birdman, which had back in the superhero seat, but also winning some Oscars.

Also, because of the same thing I've been complaining about for years: WB cannot conceive of a superhero...anything without it being connected to Batman. Sometimes literally, sometimes thematically. Hiring Snyder fit into that. If there is one thing I hope comes from hiring Gunn, it's that they move away from Batman and let their other characters shine on their own merit. Let Batman be Batman, and stop trying to make everything like Batman. We're going to have to change the the expression to "beating a dead horse Wayne".

Meant to mention this earlier, but with the help of @GasBandit, I've changed the title to this thread again. Seems appropriate.

I also don't really have faith in Gunn as one of the new architects of the DCEU. Not because Gunn's work isn't great. He's phenomenal. I just have zero faith it won't turn to crap because of Zazlav and company. I wish I could be excited for Gunn's Superman, but at this point, I question whether we'll see a release for it at all.

Last edited:
This reminds me... Am I the only one who's not a fan of the Kingdom Come Superman symbol? I've always thought it barely looks like an S.
I don't necessarily mind it, but I get where you're coming from. Kingdom Come is one of my all-time favourite comics, so I might be a bit biased. I think Alex Ross' intention was to make the symbol as simplistic as possible. So the top curve of the symbol is blended into the triangle itself. It's meant to be a darker design, to reflect his feelings on the world he's in in that story.

I wouldn't want it as a permanent design, but I think it's suitable for the story in Kingdom Come.

Posting image behind spoilers for reference for others:

Superman Kingdom Come.JPG