[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

I want him to direct a Green Lantern Corps movie. I think he would make an awesome GLC movie. And for his self-insertion, he can voice G’nort!
I am down for this in every way imaginable.

Well, as long as it's not part of the current DCEU. That's one way it's unimaginable.

Saw Justice League yesterday. I liked it. It had some problems, but I really loved all the characters. I kept thinking, “What would this movie have been like if Patty Jenkins had directed it...” but I think Whedon managed to pull it out of the shitter. It was easy to spot his changes: basically, any time the team acted like humans (or at least human-like) with human emotion, I’m guessing it was Whedon.

I didn’t notice any of the “camera lingering on Wonder Woman’s butt” that people keep complaining about. But maybe I was just too distracted by shirtless Aquaman. :awesome:

I don’t think it’s as bad as some are making it out to be and it gives me hope for future DC movies. Not as good as Wonder Woman, but definitely better than Suicide Squad. I haven’t seen MoS or BvS, and I don’t think I missed anything for Justice League by not seeing them, they do a good job of getting you up to speed.

It was nice seeing Superman act like Superman.

But it might be the last time for a while.
I'm glad to hear that, at least. Unfortunately, it's tied with everything that came before it, so Superman finally being Superman after two horrendously out-of-character films taints it.

It's like Logan referencing the awful Wolverine: Origins. One of the few things that brought that film down.

I'm glad to hear that, at least. Unfortunately, it's tied with everything that came before it, so Superman finally being Superman after two horrendously out-of-character films taints it.

It's like Logan referencing the awful Wolverine: Origins. One of the few things that brought that film down.
We watched the HISHE review this evening, and they said one of the “problems” with the movie was that Justice League ignored things from the previous movies: like the anti-Superman stuff. Which I didn’t find to be a problem at all.

I guess I never need to watch BvS, because while playing Hearthstone or doing chores, I've been listening on and off to MovieBob's Really That Bad for BvS, which is still incomplete and yet almost as long as the movie itself. But now I feel I know the movie much more than I did before. It's funny that some of the material edited out of the theatrical cut solves plot issues by being reinserted, but then causes new ones.

But I appreciate his pointing out that, on paper, the purpose of the "MARTHA!" scene was of sound design. I understood what the point of it was after reading a description of the scene to be that Mother's name link = Superman has a mother = Superman is not alien monster but is a person. But MovieBob's explanation eliminates the need for the Martha connection at all, and instead places Batman as the one holding the gun in Crime Alley, about to tear a family apart. It's a genius resolution to a character arc, with hope of redemption ... done in a hilariously clumsy way.

The line "I'm older than my father ever was" is also a brilliant line for Bruce Wayne.

But holy crap, I thought I knew how bad Eisenberg's Luthor was, but I was wrong. What I'd glimpsed before only scratched the surface.

I don't think I fully understood what was being said about future DC movies being standalone. I interpreted that to mean WB would stop setting up future movies and just let each movie do its thing, with possible crossovers.

But now I'm hearing that, with a lowered confidence in the DC brand, each character will be expected to be its own brand, to the point that Matt Reeves' Batman trilogy may be its own continuity.

I guess fingers crossed that Aquaman his little to no references to other DCEU movies, but it sounds like the DCEU may not even be a thing anymore. It might just be the Wonder Woman series, the Batman series ... and I guess whichever other potential first films happen. I like to think Shazam will still happen, but just because they've hired people doesn't mean anything. Some movies get to the day before shooting is set to begin before being cancelled.

If WB really does shatter their shared universe, I suppose on one side, good on them for seeing the writing on the wall--plus Nick can see other movies by good directors without breaking his vow :p. But on the other hand, what a complete fuck-up. This should've been easy as hell to pull off; Marvel already did all the groundwork. And unlike Universal's failure, copying the Marvel template would've made sense for the DC stuff. I think I said earlier--someone at WB is going to lose their job.

Damn I enjoyed this, also I agree in seeing Superman act like freaking Superman again...kinda bummed this is the film that's gonna bomb and not BvS. I wanna say that's not fair, but maybe its just delay karma for making that film in the first place.

You know, if WB wants to revitalize their superhero movies, they should stop trying to copy Marvel's shared universe and just focus on making cool movies with interesting ideas. Imagine a Batman Beyond movie where Michael Keaton plays old Bruce Wayne, and Michael B Jordan plays Terry/New Batman

You know, if WB wants to revitalize their superhero movies, they should stop trying to copy Marvel's shared universe and just focus on making cool movies with interesting ideas. Imagine a Batman Beyond movie where Michael Keaton plays old Bruce Wayne, and Michael B Jordan plays Terry/New Batman
Or they could keep copying Marvel's idea, but, you know, actually do a good job of it. That might work too.

Yeah, it’s too bad they only made one.

And anyone who says otherwise is wrong. They made one Matrix film. One. Anything crap that came after doesn’t count.
I've always thought the Matrix universe would make a great MMO. Wouldn't that be interesting?

I liked the Matrix sequels. :( They paled big time compared to the first, but they're not that bad.
Yes, they were. Large parts of the film were dedicated to things that didn't advance character, plot, or setting. A 10 minute caveman rave. The freeway chase was intense the first time I saw it, but I find it tedious to sit through anymore. Enormous problems with in-universe logic.

Yes, they were. Large parts of the film were dedicated to things that didn't advance character, plot, or setting. A 10 minute caveman rave. The freeway chase was intense the first time I saw it, but I find it tedious to sit through anymore. Enormous problems with in-universe logic.
*shrug* We'll agree to disagree, I guess.

Don’t forget the meaningless quasi-philosophical gibberish.

I see the Matrix sequels sort of like how I see MoS and BvS. There are definitely some good parts in there, but there are some bad too, so overall the end product falls short of expectations. I enjoy them all well enough though.

GasBandit

Staff member
I see the Matrix sequels sort of like how I see MoS and BvS. There are definitely some good parts in there, but there are some bad too, so overall the end product falls short of expectations. I enjoy them all well enough though.
MoS/BvS are way worse. There, the movies went against the established material to do something idiotic. At least the Matrix was making up something new as it went along.