The Dark Knight Rises (now with spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's not a bad guy--I don't see why she couldn't help him later, give him a new love interest.

Keep in mind, all, Bane isn't the only other villain. I forgot if it's Calendar Man or Holiday who's present as a non-costume villain, and then there's the mob, as always. And the police are after Batman as well.

Damn, I'm looking forward to this.
I'm really hoping Scarecrow pops up again too. I loved his brief bit in the Dark Knight. It reminded me of how Shocker always turned up in Ultimate Spider-Man, just to be taken out with one punch and then the story moves on without ever talking about it.
Added at: 19:37
I had to look it up (I didn't really spend a lot of time checking out her wrists when I was watching the movie), but she totally had the wrist things. No belt though.

But anyway, I get more confused over whether they're dressing as Black Cat or Catwoman, some versions of one look awfully similar to the other.

Not gonna lie, I wish we could get a real life Adam Hughes Catwoman. Adam Hughes knows how to draw them wimmens.

This is his Catwoman BEFORE he takes it into photoshop to colour it. Fuck.

fade

Staff member
She's bending over like that because of the huge lead weights someone tucked in her shirt.

Also, that Bane picture looks absolutely stupid. I actually prefer the Batman and Robin one.

I still feel like I'm the only man alive who didn't care for the DK's Joker as, well, the Joker. I loved the movie, Ledger was great, the character was great for what it was, but it just didn't feel like the Joker. Also, for all the world's greatest detective crap, it was really the people on the boats that beat the Joker. Batman just beat him up.

Yes Fade, you are alone in all of that. The Bane opinion, the Joker opinion, the whole entire post.

Nothing but respect but yeah, it's not unusual for you to dislike something commonly popular. Not because you're a douchebag hipster, but because it's just your opinion and what you like/dislike.

She's bending over like that because of the huge lead weights someone tucked in her shirt.

Also, that Bane picture looks absolutely stupid. I actually prefer the Batman and Robin one.

I still feel like I'm the only man alive who didn't care for the DK's Joker as, well, the Joker. I loved the movie, Ledger was great, the character was great for what it was, but it just didn't feel like the Joker. Also, for all the world's greatest detective crap, it was really the people on the boats that beat the Joker. Batman just beat him up.
You're not alone, Fade. My problem with the character was a lack of consistency. He was supposed to embody chaos (which itself is not the usual Joker. I can grant Nolan leeway for imagining a more "realistic" world) and sometimes he was chaotic but other times he was meticulous in his planning. I'm okay if the character is a bit two-faced (espousing one philosophy and living another) but that was not made clear, since he did seem to act randomly sometimes. As riveting as the Joker was, he was written to fit the plot points of the movie, I think. That just speaks volumes about what Ledger brought to the role.

While I don't think Adam Hughes is a BAD artist, I just find his women are far too cheesecake. And there's enough of that as it is in comics. Pass.

Darwyn Cooke, who designed the current Catwoman costume, on the other hand?

Frig. Because I'm on a very unstable wi-fi right now (moving to Maine tomorrow), I can't even post a pic. Maybe someone else can.

fade

Staff member
I don't know what cheesecake means, but Hughes does have a habit of drawing the same face on a lot of his females.

I don't know what cheesecake means, but Hughes does have a habit of drawing the same face on a lot of his females.
Pinup style art is cheesecake, so yeah, it's exactly as Hughes draws. His Power Girl and Wonder Woman are both pretty unique in the face and seeing as they (along with Catwoman) are my favorite pieces by him, I'm totally cool.

This looks possibly legit to me, but I have not gotten to the part of the podcast (whose site I found this on) talks about it. Still, not yet posted here.

It looks pretty much like what I would see Nolan doing for Catwoman. Grounded in real life, superspythief look. Especially if she isn't going to actually go full "catwoman" for this film, which, I think is probably a good choice.

Aside from slightly more hi-tech goggles, it is pretty much a cowl short of her modern day costume. So I have no real complaint.

Kevin Smith's Stoner Conspiracy Theory (from the Hollywood Babble-On Podcast): Bane, who we're seeing quite a lot of, won't be the main villain. Nor, obviously, will Selina Kyle (I'm seriously betting she's Batman's partner here, thief or not). He bets a returned Ra's Al-Ghul as the big bad, I have a different theory. You guys?

Aside from slightly more hi-tech goggles, it is pretty much a cowl short of her modern day costume. So I have no real complaint.

Kevin Smith's Stoner Conspiracy Theory (from the Hollywood Babble-On Podcast): Bane, who we're seeing quite a lot of, won't be the main villain. Nor, obviously, will Selina Kyle (I'm seriously betting she's Batman's partner here, thief or not). He bets a returned Ra's Al-Ghul as the big bad, I have a different theory. You guys?
We're not seeing Ra's Al-Ghul again. I'm calling that straight right now; there'd be zero purpose and I don't know why Kevin Smith would be even considering that as the case.

I admittedly don't know shit on the subject, but do cats have some sort of... good vision, or something different with their vision that is good for burgling? Maybe the goggles do something like that? I've been curious what the fuck the goggles do.

We're not seeing Ra's Al-Ghul again. I'm calling that straight right now; there'd be zero purpose and I don't know why Kevin Smith would be even considering that as the case.
Well, I wouldn't count that out right yet.

Liam Neeson has been cast again as Ra's al-Ghul and some on-set footage (not the current stuff being shot, but stuff overseas shot months ago) point towards a Lazarus Pit-esque pool.

Problem is? The cowl is what seperates her from just another "run of the mill" burglar. Where's the "Cat"?
As has been mentioned before, so far, unless I missed it, the Nolan camp has not referred to her as "Catwoman". She's just Selina Kyle. I wouldn't expect a "cat" costume for her.

Then what's the point of adding her as a character? It'd have been like adding Heath Ledger's joker but no painted face/crooked smile.

Then what's the point of adding her as a character? It'd have been like adding Heath Ledger's joker but no painted face/crooked smile.
Because Selina Kyle is more than just a thief with cat ears on her suit? Hell the very best story about her is one after she gives up being cat woman. It's just called Selina's Big Score by Darwyn Cooke and it proves that lady does not need ears on her thieving clothes to be awesome. Ima trust Nolan on this. Plus she looks cool :)

I originally hated the idea of a facepainted Joker rather than the actual skin being white and boy did I not care once the movie started, so I'm willing to overlook the lack of cat ears (which is really all that's missing).

This looks possibly legit to me, but I have not gotten to the part of the podcast (whose site I found this on) talks about it. Still, not yet posted here.
Just wanted to point out that the image has been debunked. It is a image of a model playing Lara Croft that was edited to look similar to what was seen in the last image of Anne on the bike.

Did we miss that it is frequently stoned Batman fanboy giving this prediction? I think "because it would be cool" is the reason for that specific prediction. The Bane prediction, however, I tend to agree with. They did outdoor shots with Ledger in full Joker regalia and kept a far tighter lid on it. There must be something we're not seeing.
Problem is? The cowl is what seperates her from just another "run of the mill" burglar. Where's the "Cat"?
Because it's not the "morally ambiguous cat burglar with a penchant for crime fighting and an attraction to Batman" characterization that makes Selina Kyle interesting. It's the literal cat theme.

EDIT: well, balls. I apologize.

I honestly don't know why I keep reading this thread or looking up DKR news and teasers. Nothing I see or read is going to dissuade me from seeing it, nor is it going to make me anymore excited for it. I don't need to be convinced to see it, and unless they announced tomorrow that Carrot Top was going to be playing the part of every single character in the movie, I don't think I could be kept away. So why do I do this to myself?

figmentPez

Staff member
I'll complain, I hope the real costume at least has a cat on the belt buckle, or something. I'm fine with most of that look, but my understanding of the character of Catwoman is a vain super-thief who is obsessed (to some degree) with cats. Even if she's going to be a cat burglar and not actually Catwoman in the movie, she still needs to have the vanity of personalized gear. A few signature pieces that reflect her own sense of style. She's not just any thief, after all.

fade

Staff member
Even though that's just a photoshop job, it kind of looks like a mashup of 1940s Catwoman and modern Catwoman. I mean, all that distinguished 1940s Catwoman from Jill Citizen was a carnival mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.