The Dark Knight Rises (now with spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're really putting "Batman on fire out a window" Scarecrow over "Boat Scene" Joker?

I have to hear the explanation behind that.

You're really putting "Batman on fire out a window" Scarecrow over "Boat Scene" Joker?

Pyrophoria?!

And i though TDK was a so-so film (about the same as Begins really) with a great performance by the villain (while Begins kinda watered down Ra's)...

I don't know. Part of it might just be Cillian Murphy bias. I like that guy a lot. The rest of it, well, I think the fight between Batman and the Joker is great, where he fights off the dogs and then pins the Joker as he is about to detonate the boats... But something about the scene where Batman is gassed, ignited and shoved out a window by some random crazy doctor just impresses me. I guess it's partly expectation. My limited Batman knowledge 'expects' the Joker to gain the upper hand on Batman often: he's his ultimate foil, whereas I never really knew much about the Scarecrow so when he got the edge on Batman, it was neat, and unexpected. (As an aside, I also love the scene where Crane is dosed with his own fear drug and all he can manage to say is "Dr Crane is unavailable at the moment, but if you'd like to leave a message...")

Don't get me wrong, it's hard for me to say Begins edges out the Dark Knight. In fact, I may not actually go that far: I was totally engrossed by the Dark Knight's story. Plus, Two-Face, in addition to Ledger's amazing performance, Eckhart had a great turn. And there's that scene where the Joker's stumbling down the road with the machine gun... I do love that. Mm. Maybe I'll rewatch those movies today.

But yes. I would have to go "fire out a window" over "Boat scene". I'm sorry :p

Scarecrow was also shit at magic tricks
There is no denying that.

It's a tease. But to be fair, they could've shown us nothing and I would still be seeing this. Nolan has proven he respects the source material and has done a bang up job so far so I am in.
If they announced Richard Simmons as the Joker, I'd still show up. ...Although on second thought it would, at that point, be less about loyalty to Nolan and way more about seeing that clusterfuck.

It's a tease. But to be fair, they could've shown us nothing and I would still be seeing this. Nolan has proven he respects the source material and has done a bang up job so far so I am in.
Hell, TDK's teaser really did show nothing; it was just dialogue over the shattering Batman symbol, broken at the end by the Joker card. There wasn't a shot from the movie. People watched it over and over, because it was fucking awesome.

I don't know. Part of it might just be Cillian Murphy bias. I like that guy a lot. The rest of it, well, I think the fight between Batman and the Joker is great, where he fights off the dogs and then pins the Joker as he is about to detonate the boats... But something about the scene where Batman is gassed, ignited and shoved out a window by some random crazy doctor just impresses me. I guess it's partly expectation. My limited Batman knowledge 'expects' the Joker to gain the upper hand on Batman often: he's his ultimate foil, whereas I never really knew much about the Scarecrow so when he got the edge on Batman, it was neat, and unexpected. (As an aside, I also love the scene where Crane is dosed with his own fear drug and all he can manage to say is "Dr Crane is unavailable at the moment, but if you'd like to leave a message...")

Don't get me wrong, it's hard for me to say Begins edges out the Dark Knight. In fact, I may not actually go that far: I was totally engrossed by the Dark Knight's story. Plus, Two-Face, in addition to Ledger's amazing performance, Eckhart had a great turn. And there's that scene where the Joker's stumbling down the road with the machine gun... I do love that. Mm. Maybe I'll rewatch those movies today.

But yes. I would have to go "fire out a window" over "Boat scene". I'm sorry :p

There is no denying that.
There isn't a Batman villain (or any villain in comic book history) who hasn't gotten one over on the main character at some point. Even the Penguin has kicked around bats from time to time. If it there's no illusion that the villain can actually beat the hero, there's no dramatic tension, and a very boring movie/comic. That's why Superman is such a boring super hero and they had to add kryptonite and his weakness to magic.

There isn't a Batman villain (or any villain in comic book history) who hasn't gotten one over on the main character at some point. Even the Penguin has kicked around bats from time to time. If it there's no illusion that the villain can actually beat the hero, there's no dramatic tension, and a very boring movie/comic. That's why Superman is such a boring super hero and they had to add kryptonite and his weakness to magic.
Well, yes, but what I'm saying is that they executed this concept very well in Begins. Batman seems tough, intimidating, intelligent and then this skinny doctor gets the upper-hand. Obviously the tension has to be derived from the hero facing a real challenge, I just mean that I was impressed by that particular method. I even acknowledged a lot of it is my own previous bias: I accept the Joker as Batman's arch-nemesis, whereas I knew relatively little about the Scarecrow, so I had fewer expectations of what kind of a threat he was.

No, they added kryptonite because the voice actor was on holiday, and they had to explain why the voice changed...
I've got to assume you're being sarcastic or something... kryptonite has been in the comics since before any movie or animated incarnation of Superman.

I've got to assume you're being sarcastic or something... kryptonite has been in the comics since before any movie or animated incarnation of Superman.
Kryptonite is a product of the radio show, both it and his flying were created there before they ever appeared in the funny book.

[edit] wanted to confirm before posting this, but Perry White and Jimmy Olsen also got their start on the airwaves.

1943 Max Fleischer Cartoon

1949 Kryptonite makes first comic book appearance.

HISTORIED!

Edit - I ran my mouth off before reading the rest of the replies. Already been dealt with above.

Edit - I ran my mouth off before reading the rest of the replies. Already been dealt with above.
You're fine, i didn't know the cartoons used kryptonite before the comic (the radio show was still first though)...

EDIT: or where you saying the cartoons where around before kryptonite showed up in the comics?

No, that was wrong entirely. I thought he said that there was Kryptonite in comics before there cartoons or movie adaptations of any kind, not just of kryptonite. There was no kryptonite that I know of in the Fleischer cartoons.

JUST.AS.PLANNED!!!!

Wasn't the flying from the cartoons (and Cpt. Marvel did it first in his serials)...
The flying is a bit more tricky to track down. Captain Marvel was the first to fly in the comics (and in general I believe), this was proven in court. The origin of superman flying is a bit nebulous as to which medium had it first. I story I first heard was the radio show, in which "flying through the air" became part of the narration when describing his super-leaps, which led to him just flying to the location. Mark Waid would certainly be able to tell us.

The flying is a bit more tricky to track down. Captain Marvel was the first to fly in the comics (and in general I believe), this was proven in court. The origin of superman flying is a bit nebulous as to which medium had it first. I story I first heard was the radio show, in which "flying through the air" became part of the narration when describing his super-leaps, which led to him just flying to the location. Mark Waid would certainly be able to tell us.
Could Captain Marvel always fly? Namor debuted the same year in comics and could fly.

Again, my own research right now (WIKIPEEEEDIAAAA) shows me that Namor may have been introduced (sort of) in 39, he wasn't really doing much until he became an invader in 41.

Actually in his 1st appearance Namor kinda uses his ankle wings to jump up to an aeroplane, and it's hard to tell if he was supposed to fly or not...

And aren't the Invaders a Silver or Bronze age retcon? EDIT: Yup: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invaders_(comics)

Namor fighting Human Torch was an important event in comic history as i recall.
Added at: 21:47
1943 Max Fleischer Cartoon
Heh, you where off by 2 years, it's 1941: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1940s_cartoons)#List_of_films

Yeah, they weren't called the Invaders in the 40's, but they existed and Human Torch and Namor fought the nazis in some of that eras comics.

As a non-comic book person (never read any of them) Bane looks pretty good to me - I like the look better than the one in Batman & Robin.

I'm more interested to see what they do with the costuming for Anne as Catwoman - hoping it's not as ridiculous as Halle Berry's "catsuit" - please be something else.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...-set-photos-batman-bane_n_914700.html#s319446

On the set pics of Batman and Bane for those who are interested.
The attached article comments on how Bane should be ridiculously huge, and theorizes that they are going to use CGI after initial filming to make him monstrous. Has the author even seen the first two Nolan films? Does it really seem like, after working to make sure the first two movies stayed grounded and were somewhat realistic, that Nolan is just going to go apeshit in the third film and make a version of The Hulk?

Yeah, I have a feeling Bane is going to be a wee bit more grounded than in the comics.

Thank God.

Status
Not open for further replies.