[Other] The Christmas present haul thread

A thread in which we share any of the awesome stuff we got for Christmas.

Hard cover boxed set of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. The edition of The Hobbit is this cool little hardcover pocket book.

Enough money to pay for at least a quarter of my upcoming dental work.

Shirts, shorts, socks, R2-D2 nutcracker, .40 S&W ammo, pistol carry case, Star Wars glasses, gift cards and cash (that will probably be used for a new clothes washer).

A Spin Clean for my record collection, a replacement PSU for my main PC, and the cash that bought those sweet speakers. :)

Let's see. My parents were sick on my birthday party, and my girlfriend was sick for my family's Christmas party. On h er family's party I got a €25 coupon for a second hand book store. Err, my SS got me a pretty cool book about Doctor Who. And I got some chocolates.
For the rest, we'll have to wait 'till we meet my family and all that jazz. But not expecting much of anything special.

GasBandit

Staff member
Hands down the best computer I ever could have wanted. Windows 7 boots from off to ready in 15 seconds, and 10 of those seconds is the bios posting. Now if only the guy who got it for me's wife would let him play too.

Hands down the best computer I ever could have wanted. Windows 7 boots from off to ready in 15 seconds, and 10 of those seconds is the bios posting. Now if only the guy who got it for me's wife would let him play too.
He's living vicariously through you, so put it to good use.

I BELIEVE IN PIC'S!

I know there's some repeats, but got a fox shirt, a super sweet leather jacket (no seriously, I'm in love with it), cute coco mug and MOVIES.

Guess I took that other picture prematurely...MOAR MOVIES! Was kind of the year of movies for me.

So...I go through slippers insanely fast. About four pairs or more a year, so slippers is always at the top of my list when I ask for Christmas gifts. Everyone is kind enough to oblige. Even better, everyone knows I live in slippers so they all have a super tough sole meaning I can wear them outside!

Into my birthday presents:

Like I said in my birthday thread, my friends got me a 1945 edition of Black Beauty

And, as I said also in my birthday thread, my friends' grandma made me a wand. And it is LEGIT!

It even came with a receipt.

My family does our Christmas a little later. My dad was a firefighter for 30 years so we often as kids had to wait until after Christmas dinner, or until Boxing Day so we could all have Christmas together. when my sister, and then me, went to college we started pushing Christmas back further, and that continues now with my brother in school in Ottawa. it is easier as a student working part time to get time off two or three weeks after Christmas than it is to get time off right around Christmas. And as we see it the date is arbitrary. What's important is the family comes together under one roof again. So Santa comes for my niece and nephew on Christmas Eve and they get their Christmas on Christmas Day. but the adults get a few extra weeks to take advantage of boxing week sales and low low cost wrapping paper deals.

Anyway, we are doing secret santa these days and my sister got me exactly what I wanted. A coffee maker.

fade

Staff member
My haul:
  • Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime lens
  • Ultralight camping hammock (been into UL camping lately)
  • Some art supplies
  • Permission to buy a resupply at Tayda Electronics. I bought like 600 parts (which came to about $25 and makes you realize how low the materials cost in consumer electronics is)

Aside from my secret Santa booty, I got $50, two sweaters, my annual bag of Hershey's kisses, but Kati was upset that she couldn't find anything for me under the budget.
I told her it was OK, that it wasn't necessary. What I really meant was that I bought something for the both of us that we will both use and enjoy. I got one of these at a deep discount through a promo at work, and I gotta tell you, I haven't been this satisfied with a purchase in a loooooong time.

--Patrick

Let's see. My parents were sick on my birthday party, and my girlfriend was sick for my family's Christmas party. On h er family's party I got a €25 coupon for a second hand book store. Err, my SS got me a pretty cool book about Doctor Who. And I got some chocolates.
For the rest, we'll have to wait 'till we meet my family and all that jazz. But not expecting much of anything special.
Finally got around to exchanging gifts so I can make the tally. Not bad.

• As noted, my SS got me a Doctor Who book.
  • The €25 second hand bookstore coupon has since been used up, along with some temporary codes I got, and has been turned into 3 books. Stand on Zanzibar (Brunner) was one I wanted for a long time, Children of the Grail as well, and The Fevre Dream (GRR Martin) was picked up as well.
  • Dominion, the board game. I already owned Intrigue, the stand-alone expansion, but with a friend who owned the basic game moving further away, it's nice to have the base game myself now as well.
  • Master Builder, the board game. No idea about this one. Seems like fun though not very deep.
  • Love Letters, the card game. Hailed all over as one of the best games in the genre - light, casual, fast game for in between the "serious" stuff. Sounds fun.
  • Rummikub: the deluxe edition. This one's just plain nostalgia. Used to play it a LOT with my grandparents, and later grandmother, before they passed away. Look forward to playing it with my parents and cousins/nephews/nieces once they're a bit older.
  • S: the book. aka "the book of Straka", "the book of Theseus", "S.". JJ Abrams and Doug Dorst. Didn't really know about it, but it seems like a book writen entirely for me. It's gorgeous in its shape and form, it's realyl well executed, and I just want to get started on it. It actually feels and smells like an old library book (ca. 1948) that's been read several times - not just a couple of stamps (though they're there too), but everything. Filled with scribbles in the margin, stuffed with postcards, napkins, papers, letters,... it's 3 or 4 stories in one. I can't say whether or not it's actually any good yet, but as a bibliophile, at least the form has me smitten. It's an homage to the paper book, I can't imagine this working nearly as well as an e-book.
  • a €300 coupon for a weekend away from my parents. Any sort of weekend (city trip, wellness, cultural trip,...), they'll subsidize. Excellent.
  • Some small stuff - candy, beer, gin.
Mind that this is Christmas + my birthday; it's still a pretty nice haul. Didn't get anything I don't like, got quite a few things I didn't know about but seem interesting.