[Music] The Big Fat Music News Thread

I didn't get into them until late in high school, when I was big into the Chili Peppers and other similar types, but man I was all about FNM for a long time.
Yeah, I don't really know what to call that genre exactly... Alternative Grunge? FNM, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Janes Addiction, Primus, etc... These were all bands that I loved in high school.

I mean, FNM/RHCP definitely have a big funk influence, but Primus is just...well, Primus. I don't know if you can classify them, much as I like them.

I mean, FNM/RHCP definitely have a big funk influence, but Primus is just...well, Primus. I don't know if you can classify them, much as I like them.
I'd say they're more punk influenced than anything else. There's also the fact that they are ALWAYS openly tripping balls.[DOUBLEPOST=1409682642,1409682568][/DOUBLEPOST]I remember thinking that Les Claypool was a freakin' genius back then. I kinda still do.

I wonder if this will be as good as Chinese Democracy.

Side note: Once, many years ago, I made a vow that one special day, I would finally get to play Duke Nukem Forever, and do it while listening to Chinese Democracy. That day did in fact come. It was horrible.
The difference is FNM hasn't been working on the album for like 20 years. Mike Patton also hasn't spent the last decade morphing into Chris Farley.

I'd say they're more punk influenced than anything else. There's also the fact that they are ALWAYS openly tripping balls.[DOUBLEPOST=1409682642,1409682568][/DOUBLEPOST]I remember thinking that Les Claypool was a freakin' genius back then. I kinda still do.
RHCP definitely pulled a lot from punk in the early years for sure, but I think, especially as Flea evolved as a musician, that funk became a prevalent flavor in their music (even if you don't count the Higher Ground and Love Rollercoaster covers). At this point, though, they've turned off both those roads and really become their own thing, which is great. Californication is still one of my all-time favorite albums.[DOUBLEPOST=1409682873][/DOUBLEPOST]
When I first glanced at that, I thought that was current day Axel Rose.
It is. This is Mike Patton:

RHCP definitely pulled a lot from punk in the early years for sure, but I think, especially as Flea evolved as a musician, that funk became a prevalent flavor in their music (even if you don't count the Higher Ground and Love Rollercoaster covers). At this point, though, they've turned off both those roads and really become their own thing, which is great. Californication is still one of my all-time favorite albums.[DOUBLEPOST=1409682873][/DOUBLEPOST]

It is. This is Mike Patton:

Sorry, I meant Primus, not the Chili Peppers.[DOUBLEPOST=1409683000,1409682941][/DOUBLEPOST]Doh, I missed the whole Chinese Democracy thing.

Oh. Well yeah, that's definitely true. Claypool's some kind of mad genius, though. He and the whole band just went off the wall nuts and cranked out all kinds of great stuff.

U2's brand new album is free on iTunes until October 13th.
Yeah, it coincided with the apple press release, where they performed. I can't help but feel like this is just a publicity stunt so they can claim to have the biggest album release ever.