[MLB] The 2014 MLB Season Thread

Dave

Staff member
It was definitely a meatball pitch. The guy threw the same first pitch to both of the batters in front of him. Same pitch, same speed. Jeter knew what was coming.

It was definitely a meatball pitch. The guy threw the same first pitch to both of the batters in front of him. Same pitch, same speed. Jeter knew what was coming.
So Showalter wanted to throw the game, by putting a runner in scoring position and then giving it up? While fighting for home field advantage in the post-season, too. Yes, that seems more likely than a guy with over 3,000 career hits getting an actual base hit in a big moment.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
With 3 games left in the season, the only way that was happening was if they won out and the Angels lost them all. And since the Angels had already won, this loss does almost nothing to the O's. No pitcher starts all three batters off in the same inning with the same pitch at the same speed. Not at that level. It was telegraphed and gift-wrapped.

Don't mind me, I'm just sitting over here in the corner, weeping upon hearing that the F###ING KANSAS CITY ROYALS made the playoffs.

And the door is closed on the career of Derek Sanderson Jeter, in his final game at Fenway Park, the Yankees winning 9-5 over the Red Sox. Jeter went 1-for-2, with an RBI single.

Career numbers (regular season):
Games played: 2,747 (26th)
At-bats: 11,195 (7th)
Runs: 1,923 (9th)
Average: .309 (77th - tied)
Hits: 3,465 (6th)
Total bases: 4,921 (21st)
Doubles: 544 (29th)
Triples: 66 (433rd - tied)
Home runs: 260 (188th - tied)
RBI: 1,311 (104th - tied)
Walks: 1,082 (39 intentional)
Strikeouts: 1,840 (85th)
Stolen bases: 358 (103rd)
Caught stealing: 97 (126th - tied)
On-base percentage: .377 (128th - tied)
Slugging percentage: .440 (296th - tied)
OPS: .817 (212th - tied)

His postseason numbers are hard to believe, in fact he effectively played an entire full season just in the postseason:
158 games (#1 all time)
650 at bats (#1 all time)
111 runs scored (#1st all time)
200 hits (#1 all time)
302 total bases (#1 all time)
32 doubles (#1 all time)
5 triples (tied #1 all time)
20 home runs (#3 all time)
61 RBIs (#4 all time)
66 base on balls (#5 all time)
135 strikeouts (#1 all time)
18 stolen bases (#6 all time)
143 singles (#1 all time)

Wisconsin boy makes good. Auburndale Wisconsin's Jordan Zimmerman no-no's the Marlins on the final day of the season.

Ross Barnes to Old Hoss Radbourn to Cy Young to Pete Alexander to Lefty Gomez to Warren Spahn to Steve Carlton to Randy Johnson to Madison Bumgarner.

Royals, Orioles, Giants, Cardinals.

And that's about the order of my rooting interests at the moment.
"Image not to scale," otherwise Giants would be waaaaaay down there, and the Cards would be about 5 pages further down.

(well it is for me.)

Are the Giants no longer scrappy underdogs? Did we become the Evil Empire at some point, and I missed it?