[Brazelton] Terry Prachett dead at 66

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm in the middle of reading a Discworld novel right now. I've loved every one, and I will sorely miss there not being more to look forward to. Few people excel at satire as well as Pratchett did.

I've only read one of his books so far, but I greatly enjoyed it. He's been struggling with Alzheimer's for quite a few years now.

My condolences to those of you who were big fans of his.

I've only read the first two and I'm almost done the third, but everytime I explain the world this man created to people I always smiled. Rest in peace.

Those final tweets, ugh.

He's been my favorite author since I was a kid, this sucks. If you haven't seen it, I really recommend the documentary he did on assisted death (Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die) and how he dealt with his disease. It's very good.

I'm more saddened that this is a suicide. :(

EDIT: Reports elsewhere say, "The author had succumbed to a chest infection earlier this year, which gradually worsened. He passed away on March 12th."

Last edited:
I suspected as much, but hadn't seen anything outright confirming it. The few things I've seen so far are carefully worded to leave the possibility open without actually suggesting that's what happened.

--Patrick

I suspected as much, but hadn't seen anything outright confirming it. The few things I've seen so far are carefully worded to leave the possibility open without actually suggesting that's what happened.

--Patrick
He started the process back in 2011. Last year he was forced to cancel an appearance due to Alzheimers. The fact that he himself tweeted immediately prior to his death, and the various notices are very carefully sidestepping the cause of death indicates that he went through with it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Which make sense, given the possible repercussions for anyone who might be suspected of assisting him.

I knew of his documentary, and his preference, and of course those all increase the likelihood, but I hadn't seen any official/credible source come right out and state that that's what happened, so I still have to technically refer to it as "probable but unconfirmed" until otherwise.

--Patrick

I'm not going to start a debate in this thread, but there's a damn big difference between this and something like Robin William's suicide.

I'm saddened that a disease was taking his life. I'm glad that he was able to pass with dignity and on his own terms rather than letting a horrible disease tear him apart piece by piece.

Like I said. No matter how strongly I suspect something to be true, I don't consider it Truth until I hear about it from a source I Trust (to give me correct info). It's the difference between a representation and a warranty.
It's sometimes frustrating to my peers, but I sleep better at night.

--Patrick

Probably not assisted suicide:

"The author had succumbed to a chest infection earlier this year, which gradually worsened. He passed away on March 12th."

Sad to lose someone so brilliant to a disease that attacks the mind.

I only read half a book written by Terry, (Good Omens.) I need to read much more.

Now he'll get to see if it really is "Turtles, all the way down"?
Ooo, I can't wait for the editorial cartoons.[DOUBLEPOST=1426182977,1426182909][/DOUBLEPOST]
I only read half a book [co]written by Terry, (Good Omens.) I need to read much more.
I find it difficult to believe that you started reading that book but were not somehow compelled to finish it. It's quality stuff.

--Patrick

I have few words to say for I was unfortunate to have never read the novels. I did thoroughly enjoy though, 1 & a half of the 2 games (that I know of) that came out.

... Doh.

... <<
... >>
Monkey.

figmentPez

Staff member
Yeah, it's not just novels that were good. "The Hogfather" made a pretty good BBC miniseries. I know there are more, but I haven't seen them.

Oooh, there are stage adaptations of Discword. I wonder how I could get ahold of the scripts. I bet there are some fantastic monologues I could use for auditions. Anyone know where to start looking?

Sad, really really sad. :(
Have some of his novels, watched the movies and think I should re-read some of the stories.

I also found this quote by Pratchett on the front page of the L-Space and laughed.

One day I'll be dead and THEN you'll all be sorry.
-- (Terry Pratchett, 28 Nov 1992, on alt.fan.pratchett)

Hogfather and Colour of Magic were on Netflix at one point, but unfortunately aren't up for streaming now. Both were pretty solid, Hogfather especially.