*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-emotion

You're putting up a smoke screen by insisting that any view other than your own is advocating the death of children. You're completely failing to address that Gas, and many other posters, have pointed out that there are more effective ways to reduce child deaths than trying to take guns away from everyone.
So why do you think that this is a uniquely American problem among western countries?

figmentPez

Staff member
So why do you think that this is a uniquely American problem among western countries?
Well, there are a number of factors. Primary of which is our horribly underfunded public school system. But there's a lot more to it than that. Most of these issues have already been talked about in the thread.

I do believe in gun owners being held responsible. But that's a reactive position, not a prohibitive one.

As for being "new to the internet," you know better. And you've also been around long enough to know that it USED to be that if your position was different than mine, I'd never stop. That's what's changed.
So in a world where gasbandit m is the prosecutor what charges is the shooter’s father facing down for the Santa Fe shooting since he was the gun owner in this case.

GasBandit

Staff member
So in a world where gasbandit m is the prosecutor what charges is the shooter’s father facing down for the Santa Fe shooting since he was the gun owner in this case.
Well, unless the father GAVE him the guns and said "go wild" I'm pretty sure none. If I steal my father's car and plow it into a crowd, my father is not going to face charges.

I think you might have misunderstood me, when I said I favor gun owners being held responsible, I meant gun users. Obviously holding the owner of a gun responsible for something done by someone who stole that gun is insanity.

Sorry. I don't mean to make anyone feel bad for supporting policies that cause children to die just so they can feel like they will be able to take down the most powerful military in the world.
Unless these policies you describe state, “Please kill children,” I fail to see the connection.

Also, if you truly believe that enacting a law which states “All guns are illegal, absolutely nobody is allowed to have one” will have the power to generate the result I assume you want (i.e., the elimination of deaths of minors by firearms), then by that logic you would be able to achieve the exact same result by enacting a law which says “It shall be illegal to murder children.” Even better, this law would protect children against ALL forms of murder, not just firearms.

Well, thing is, such a law already exists. It’s even in the top Ten, in fact. And yet you see how much effect “having that law” has had in the real world, so there is no reason to expect a different law to have 100% success when the first (which, mind you, is more comprehensive) has not.

We’ve come a long way in the last few centuries. I don’t want to lose these rights, but it’s testament to our progress that so many no longer feel the need to have such weapons, even if it’s to the degree that they cannot comprehend their utility to others.
I’m with you on this. One of the first things they ask you these days when you see a doctor is, “Do you feel safe at home?” because the assumption is that everyone has a home, and that the reasonable expectation is that one would feel content when hanging out there.
Obviously holding the owner of a gun responsible for something done by someone who stole that gun is insanity.
And yet, year after year, some yahoo decides to try and introduce legislation that would make the manufacturers of firearms liable for any “unwarranted” deaths their products cause. Insanity, indeed!

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, if you truly believe that enacting a law which states “All guns are illegal, absolutely nobody is allowed to have one” will have the power to generate the result I assume you want (i.e., the elimination of deaths of minors by firearms), then by that logic you would be able to achieve the exact same result by enacting a law which says “It shall be illegal to murder children.” Even better, this law would protect children against ALL forms of murder, not just firearms.

Well, thing is, such a law already exists. It’s even in the top Ten, in fact. And yet you see how much effect “having that law” has had in the real world, so there is no reason to expect a different law to have 100% success when the first (which, mind you, is more comprehensive) has not.
In before "well if laws don't prevent crime why bother even making murder illegal?"

We really are stuck in a loop.

And yet, year after year, some yahoo decides to try and introduce legislation that would make the manufacturers of firearms liable for any “unwarranted” deaths their products cause. Insanity, indeed!
Heck, we almost elected one of those yahoos.

Well, unless the father GAVE him the guns and said "go wild" I'm pretty sure none. If I steal my father's car and plow it into a crowd, my father is not going to face charges.

I think you might have misunderstood me, when I said I favor gun owners being held responsible, I meant gun users. Obviously holding the owner of a gun responsible for something done by someone who stole that gun is insanity.
It did seem out of character for you. Cause you did make a huge point about how the kid was not the owner of the gun.

And pray tell, how does one use a gun without having a gun in their possession?

Stop being intentionally dense to try to argue.

GasBandit

Staff member

Stop being intentionally dense to try to argue.
Arguing that since something can be misused means it should be banned is a dangerous frame of mind to get in.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - CS Lewis

Your ENTIRE ARGUMENT is predicated on the notion that a gun can ONLY be used IMproperly. In reality, it is startlingly easy to own (and use!) a firearm responsibly if that is indeed your desire.

—Patrick

Arguing that since something can be misused means it should be banned is a dangerous frame of mind to get in.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - CS Lewis
So, acceptable losses.

Here's the thing. Even people who want common sense changes can't get things done. People wring their hands and "thoughts and prayers," but the controlling party of Congress is in bed so far with the NRA, who doesn't want any change, that they do nothing. This is going to rebound on them pretty hard once they do lose control, and gun control measures will probably end up going farther than they otherwise would.

I don't know, Dei. I think our country has proven that we have no interest in doing anything about it. Sandy Hook, Orlando, Las Vegas... any one of those would have been shocking enough to warrant some measure of change in a civilized country. But we can't seem to formulate laws that satisfy enough people to even get to one part of Congress. So this is just the way it has to be.

gun control measures will probably end up going farther than they otherwise would.
THIS is the thing that scares me. And if you’re not happy with the idea of a well-regulated militia, imagine what a non-regulated one would be like.

—Patrick

I don’t think he likes the idea that at any moment another person could arbitrarily end his life and/or the lives of people he cares about AND that we are telling him that there is little or nothing he could do to prevent it except to try and be nicer to one another.

—Patrick

I don’t think he likes the idea that at any moment another person could arbitrarily end his life and/or the lives of people he cares about AND that we are telling him that there is little or nothing he could do to prevent it except to try and be nicer to one another.

—Patrick
Basically this coupled with the fact that it has been massively prevented by literally every other western country so the arguments are flat-out wrong.

figmentPez

Staff member
There are any number of ways that someone's life can be arbitrarily ended by another human being. Let's take drunk driving for example.

Deaths by drunk driving are down 65% since 1982. Back then you were more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than you were to be the victim of a homicide committed with a gun. Now you're only slightly more likely to have a death by gun homicide. What changed? Well, it certainly wasn't the banning of alcohol. (This nation tried that before, it didn't work.) The solution was not to say "Well, some people are misusing the combination of alcohol and cars, therefore no one can have alcohol." Nor was the solution to get rid of cars. What worked was getting to the reasons that people drive drunk, and making a concerted effort to change society so that people have less reason to drive drunk.

figmentPez

Staff member
Basically this coupled with the fact that it has been massively prevented by literally every other western country so the arguments are flat-out wrong.
"Mr. Elephant, all the other mammals have managed to jump for us. Therefore all your arguments about why you cannot jump are flat-out wrong. We insist that you start jumping as a means of locomotion immediately."

There are any number of ways that someone's life can be arbitrarily ended by another human being. Let's take drunk driving for example.

Deaths by drunk driving are down 65% since 1982. Back then you were more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than you were to be the victim of a homicide committed with a gun. Now you're only slightly more likely to have a death by gun homicide. What changed? Well, it certainly wasn't the banning of alcohol. (This nation tried that before, it didn't work.) The solution was not to say "Well, some people are misusing the combination of alcohol and cars, therefore no one can have alcohol." Nor was the solution to get rid of cars. What worked was getting to the reasons that people drive drunk, and making a concerted effort to change society so that people have less reason to drive drunk.
I think both sides of the gun debate feel that if they don't pull All vs Nothing, then the other side will gain ground. And by gun debate, I mean everything approached politically in this country these days. Compromise is dead.

In other news, I'm sure the NRA is screaming "OH THANK GOD, FINALLY!" A shooting in Oklahoma that killed four people ended with an armed bystander shooting and killing the gunman.

I think both sides of the gun debate feel that if they don't pull All vs Nothing, then the other side will gain ground. And by gun debate, I mean everything approached politically in this country these days. Compromise is dead.

In other news, I'm sure the NRA is screaming "OH THANK GOD, FINALLY!" A shooting in Oklahoma that killed four people ended with an armed bystander shooting and killing the gunman.
To be fair, statistically, it happens 3% of the time (according to FBI studies).

"Mr. Elephant, all the other mammals have managed to jump for us. Therefore all your arguments about why you cannot jump are flat-out wrong. We insist that you start jumping as a means of locomotion immediately."
"Mr. Panda your digestive system is much better designed for eating meat. Why are you eating bamboo instead?"

"BECAUSE I'M GONNA USE THIS BAMBOO TO OVERTHROW THE US GOVERNMENT!"

figmentPez

Staff member
"Mr. Panda your digestive system is much better designed for eating meat. Why are you eating bamboo instead?"

"BECAUSE I'M GONNA USE THIS BAMBOO TO OVERTHROW THE US GOVERNMENT!"
Well, if you're not going to even try to understand my point....

What is the point you're trying to make with this? Do you have any analogy at all beyond "I'm making irrational strawman arguments"?

What worked was getting to the reasons that people drive drunk, and making a concerted effort to change society so that people have less reason to drive drunk.
I've previously advocated the whole "It's more important to get to the root of the problem" approach, but we (as a board) seemed divided as to whether or not it would actually work.

--Patrick

Well, if you're not going to even try to understand my point....

What is the point you're trying to make with this? Do you have any analogy at all beyond "I'm making irrational strawman arguments"?
My point is that regular people in the US don't need guns and shouldn't have them because the widespread availability of them leads to numerous deaths that don't come close to whatever benefits the guns provide. The alleged reasons for why they do are:

1) Easy access to guns have nothing to do with people killing others with guns. (contradicted by literally every other western country on the planet)

2) I need my gun to be able to stop the US military (incredibly stupid for reasons I'm not allowed to say).

3) Well, the founding fathers liked guns (they were wrong on other things so I'm not taking their word for it)

4) Subsitence farmers (such an outlier that even if an exception were made for them, it doesn't justify Joe Surburbia needing an arsenal).

figmentPez

Staff member
My point is that regular people in the US don't need guns
We've been over "need" before. Not going down that rabbit hole again.

1) Easy access to guns have nothing to do with people killing others with guns. (contradicted by literally every other western country on the planet)
No, not contradicted, because other countries are not the US. The US is unique in terms of size, population distribution, the dichotomy between extremly rural conditions and extremely urban conditions, our history of being a country whose wilderness was "conquered" by the gun, etc. etc. etc. Which was my point with the elephant thing.

Trying to compare other countries to the US and saying "Well, it worked here" is like trying to compare the murder rates of Chicago and Houston and concluding that it's Chicago's cold weather is the reason for people killing each other there.

EDIT Also, what did ANY of that have to do with pandas? NOTHING. You're just trolling at this point.