Talk about what you're currently reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there is no currently open thread for discussing your Wednesday comics, I made a new one.

Anyways, I've spent the better part of the last 5 or so hours reading Fables (since I just got all the trades I was missing.). I'd forgotten why I loved it so much, that is, until I got to the Great Fables Crossover, which was bad enough that it almost made me never want to read Fables again. I'd never cared for Jack of Fables, and this also served to remind me why. Just fucking terrible.

Now, to finish up Ex Machina.

Once they get back to the Mr. Dark stuff and the goings on outside of that travesty it's getting back to being enjoyable again.

Ugh I still need to finish Y The Last Man.
I'm missing the second-to-last book... I was buying them 2 at a time, then forgot which ones I still needed. :p I ended up buying the last book without realizing I still needed another. Gotta get on that... Maybe I'll read it all over again since it's been a little while now. Ahaha

Fantastic Four continues to be <pun censored>. The Bruce Wayne the Long Road Home books have been good.

I picked up all five trades of the Amazing Spider-Girl. What a good series, I feel bad now that I never gave it a shot.

I stopped reading Fables after the defeat of The Adversary (sp?). I'm about 90% sure that, originally, the book was going to end there (like all Vertigo books save for Hellblazer). That was going to be the original ending. But, of course, Fables was a huge freakin' success and now it's become a brand of its own, with spin-off books, novels, a possible TV series, etc. So, I jumped ship.

As for what I'm reading lately? Haven't had a lot of time for comics, with school kicking my ass, but I've had some time for a few. Just this week, I picked up the fourth volume of Northlanders, which is always great, and the second Parker graphic novel by Darwyn Cooke.

I've heard a lot of great things about Hickman's run of Fantastic Four, but...I don't know. I flipped through the latest issue and saw...

Ben Grimm turning human and the coming of Galactus!

...which are two of THE most overused plots in all of Fantastic Four, save for Doom.

Fables outside of the Great Fables Crossover is still really good. Mr. Dark/Dullahan/The Boogeyman is a pretty rad villain.

Oh, I'm sure it is. Unfortunately, it's getting through the GFC that bothered me too much to continue. I couldn't honestly even get halfway through that book. I enjoyed Fables for being a hip, indy (well, Vertigo non-mainstream indy), self-contained book. Now it's become this big franchise, with spin-off books and all that crap. I tried Jack of Fables and wasn't crazy about it and then the Great Fables Crossover was basically forcing me to buy more of JoF to understand it fully. Fuck that. That's the drivel that I was trying to ESCAPE from by reading Vertigo books and the like outside of DC and Marvels crossover nonsense. If I go from Volume 10 to Volume 11, I should be able to just continue reading uninterupted.

I just finished reading the first compendium (Books 1-4) of The Walking Dead. Now I'm super-psyched for the TV series premiere tonight. And I also finished Sgt. Rock - The Lost Battalion. Easy Company is sent into the Vosges attached to the Texas Division. They get surrounded and have to hold out until the 442nd RCT (Nisei from the Pacific Coast and Hawaii) relieve them. It's a great book and the author researched it as thoroughly as any master's thesis.

I love Jack of Fables, the irreverent look at him and the wild stuff he goes through. I'm still catching up on Jack to get to the Crossover, but have read the Cinderella trade and thought that was pretty good for a spy/thriller spin on a character.

Is that a Joe Kubert SGT Rock story?
Billy Tucci. I saw the guy at Comic Con at a panel about the military in comic books. After that we met and talked about the research because I have a professional as well as a personal interest in it. Interesting fellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.