[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Kind of like the movie thread, throw in some talk on some tv you've watched and don't want to make a whole thread devoted to it.

For me, right now, watching the new Dexters. All I can think about is how attracted I am to the woman playing Batista's sister. Aimee Garcia is a fox for sure. Side note, I think I need to get laid.

I doubt Edward Olmos or Colin Hanks will be as good as John Lithgow this season (as I doubt any further antagonists will be, John Lithgow's Trinity was probably the shark jump as far as the show goes) but it should still be an interesting season.

I know Sons of Anarchy isn't the best show, but fuck all if it isn't my favorite. I can't believe I give so much of a shit about a group of such lowlives that I've devoted the last 4 years of my life against.

Only things I'm watching consistently right now are Dexter and Community, both of which have not been disappointing so far this season. The last episode of Community was hilarious. I'm waiting for the Walking Dead to start, but I don't think there's anything else registering on my radar until a Clash of Kings starts up in the spring.

I think you mis-defined 'jump the shark', Frankie. The whole idea of jumping the shark is that the show is starting to fall to the wayside, so the show starts running out of ideas. Yet, John Lithgow's appearance on Dexter was pretty much the highest point of the show to date (previously was season 2, in my opinion). Jumping the shark would mean the show starts doing clip shows or Christmas specials or something.
Added at: 07:27
Back on topic, though. These days, I'm not watching a lot. Mondays is How I Met Your Mother and 2 Broke Girls. The latter is okay at best, but it's fun and oddly crude compared to other sitcoms. which is a nice change. Then there's Big Bang Theory. And Dexter.

And...I think that's it. There's a number of shows I keep wanting to check out and start watching, like Community. I started watching Breaking Bad (only two episodes in so far) and really digging it. Ditto on Sons of Anarchy.

I've honestly not been one to watch a lot of TV in the first place, anyway.

I sort of like 2 Broke Girls, but I wish it would develop their secondary characters past dumb stereotypes and stop using rape as a punchline every episode.

Dave

Staff member
Only thing I've watched lately have been football and Castle. I have every Terra Nova DVRed but I haven't watched yet.

P

Philosopher B.

2 Broke Girls should get some plots instead of scenes that just happen.

and stop using rape as a punchline every episode
Yeah, WTF, do the writers have like a rape joke quota or something.

I watched an episode of Terra Nova recently and hated it. Cloying, poorly-written, badly-acted ... dinos ain't worth it. If I was rich, I'd pay the writers a million dollars if they promised never to write teens again.

- PhillyB, currently going through Psych on Netflix and ruining his body with laughter

Rape? I can't remember a single punchline that was about rape. There were moments where Denning's character would talk about her...less than innocent sex life and such, but nothing that's hinted at rape.

I think you mis-defined 'jump the shark', Frankie. The whole idea of jumping the shark is that the show is starting to fall to the wayside, so the show starts running out of ideas. Yet, John Lithgow's appearance on Dexter was pretty much the highest point of the show to date (previously was season 2, in my opinion). Jumping the shark would mean the show starts doing clip shows or Christmas specials or something.
Jumping the Shark totally means that a show has hit it's high point and will never be as good as that moment. I think Trinity was that moment for Dexter. I don't think Dexter will ever be as good as it's 4th season again. If it proves me wrong, I'm all for it.

That doesn't mean that the quality of the show has dropped considerably, though. It's like how I felt about season 2: there's no way they'll be able to top that. Season 3 proved that but season 4 blew that thought out of the water. When a show jumps the shark, I'd say it becomes unwatchable. That's definitely not the case with Dexter. It's still been a great show.

Nah, a show that's jumped the shark doesn't become unwatchable. Hell, Happy Days was still one of the best shows on tv even after Fonz coined the term. It just means the show has hit it's high point and is on the downward slope.

Gotta go with Charlie on this one. Jumping the Shark was soooo bad in Happy Days... it's like Scrappy Doo bad.

Dexter is not even close to a shark jump. There have been weaker seasons but overall it is still one of the best shows on TV.

GasBandit

Staff member
I actually agree with Charlie - Jumping the Shark is not the "pinnacle" of the series - it is the point of no return. It is the point at which you can point and say "THIS is where this show became no longer worth watching."

Rape? I can't remember a single punchline that was about rape. There were moments where Denning's character would talk about her...less than innocent sex life and such, but nothing that's hinted at rape.
The dentist office, I'm fairly sure it's mentioned in the pilot when she's on the subway, I'm honestly not being all--- over sensitive on this one. There is AT LEAST one overt reference to being raped an episode followed by peals of laughter.

Yeah, alright, you guys win, I was wrong. I always assumed it was the high point before the downward spiral not the low point before the plummet.

BACK ON TRACK ->

This season of Ultimate Fighter has been probably the best one fight wise. Bantams and feathers are really leaving it all out there.

Guys... I think I'm somewhat enjoying American Horror Story. Please help.
Its not bad. I like the potential of delving into the house's past. I like the maid thing. I have to say I am tired of the figure moving past the camera in the fore/background, they overuse it a little too much, especially in this last ep. I like that some of the creepy music sounds like the score to Hitchcock movies, Vertigo in particular. But, I am still not 100% sold on it. Will have to watch more but somewhat enjoying it too.

BananaHands

Staff member
Yeah, it's a love letter to every horror movie, so we're getting the good and the bad.

I will say, I enjoy the focus on the characters that aren't part of the family. It adds depth to the type of character that'd just get a creepy stereotype.

Sons of Anarchy, damn, that's a good cliffhanger.

I actually feel pretty hard for Juice. That's some rough trade. I also feel for the sheriff being put into that kind of situation.

BananaHands

Staff member
Okay, so, I can't tell if American Horror Story's confusing plot is distracting me from how terrible it is... but I feel like I'm actually looking forward to the next episode.

I am still intrigued. I think the more we learn of the history of the house the more interesting it's going to get.