[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I should mention that while I haven't read them, I did also try a few times to start. Get about 100 pages into the first and couldn't bother to go on.

Sigh.

I read all of them. I love The Gunsligner and have read that one a couple of times. Parts of the others were inspired, but they indeed starting getting annoying when they began to include everything King has ever written. And King himself.

That said, there was a solid story in there somewhere, and it would be nice if the movie was the beginning of it. What I've heard has been enough to put me off of it until I can see it at home.

So who likes this series then? If it's so famous, who actually read it and liked it? Seems like the consensus is that it's crap.
I liked them, sort of. I had given up on the series during the long stretch between the 3rd and 4th where it looked like King had given up the series, too.

My first former sister in law was a big fan. She had all tbe books by the time the series finished. I eventually read her copy of the 4th book and then gave up on the series again a couple pages into the 5th.

I'm generally not a fan of series. I wonder if it was because the Dark Tower's steady decline in enjoyability.

Dave

Staff member
I watched Shin Godzilla last night and although I liked it, when the Big G first came on shore I laughed my ass off at how fucking stupid he looked. Those eyes, OMFG!

I watched Shin Godzilla last night and although I liked it, when the Big G first came on shore I laughed my ass off at how fucking stupid he looked. Those eyes, OMFG!
They were fish eyes!

I thought the same until he rubbed against the building and made it collapse while still having that stupid, vacant stare. Something about him being completely unaware of what he was doing, and too dumb to go around something taller than him, felt more unsettling to me than some other incarnation of Godzilla trashing a building full of people on purpose.

Don't know why that was my reaction though. You'd think malice would be more bothersome.

iTunes finally has the subbed version of Shin Godzilla, so watched that last night. I liked it. The "bureacracy is the true villain" worked very well. And though the movie mostly focused on the actions (and inaction) of the humans, Godzilla was still driving the plot. Like Kong in Skull Island, even when Godzilla wasn't on screen, you still know it's a Godzilla movie.

Godzilla's fish eyes were weird, but I could deal with that. Having a spine that shoots frickin' laser beams was a bit over the top, though. And those tiny, useless T-Rex arms... what? But he has the proper Godzilla roar, so I can overlook the weird design decisions. :D

The last Terminator movie.... JESUS.... I avoided in the theaters because reviews were mixed but WTF did were you trying to do??? What a lazy script.

Whoever was this new Kyle Reese was painful man, no charisma and forgettable. Khaleesi was OK but she's too baby faced to take her seriously. Clarke is missing the steel that Linda Hamilton brought to the role.

Arnold was good and the CGI was bad. Hated the new antagonist.

I'd prefer no jokes about a subject that's sent me into a depressive, suicidal spiral several times, thank you.
It wasn't a joke! Was just pointing out how you seem to really want to do something that sets you on fire every morning.
I really hope the yoga thing does that for you (assuming you haven't run into some kind of roadblock with it).

--Patrick

Food for thought: I know it's not fashionable these days, but sometimes the right response to saying something that bothered someone else is "sorry, dude" and then dropping it, instead of explaining, and then explaining the explanation, and then explaining the explanation of the explanation.

EDIT: In case the above's implications are unclear, this is one of those times.

It wasn't a joke! Was just pointing out how you seem to really want to do something that sets you on fire every morning.
I really hope the yoga thing does that for you (assuming you haven't run into some kind of roadblock with it).

--Patrick
Let me rephrase it then:

I'd prefer no insensitive comments - intentional or otherwise - about a decades-long sore spot for me.

The last Terminator movie.... JESUS.... I avoided in the theaters because reviews were mixed but WTF did were you trying to do??? What a lazy script.

Whoever was this new Kyle Reese was painful man, no charisma and forgettable. Khaleesi was OK but she's too baby faced to take her seriously. Clarke is missing the steel that Linda Hamilton brought to the role.

Arnold was good and the CGI was bad. Hated the new antagonist.
He's Jai Courtney, the deluxe version of equally bad and forgettable Sam Worthington.

Should I watch the remake of The Blob today? I got it in a four-pack with Fright Night and Christine (and some other movie that I can't remember because no one's ever heard of it). My wife's out of town until tomorrow, and my friend who's visiting and planning to watch horror movies later this month already said she's too chickenshit to watch that one.

Now I've been too chickenshit for years :p. I watched up to the hospital part when I was 9 and that was when I shut the movie off. I've always been curious about the rest of it, but after what happened with Fire in the Sky (thought it'd be terrifying because of glimpse as child, watched it many years later, boring as fuck), I'm concerned I've likewise overhyped it in my head and that the movie's going to be a drag.

Should I watch the remake of The Blob today? I got it in a four-pack with Fright Night and Christine (and some other movie that I can't remember because no one's ever heard of it). My wife's out of town until tomorrow, and my friend who's visiting and planning to watch horror movies later this month already said she's too chickenshit to watch that one.

Now I've been too chickenshit for years :p. I watched up to the hospital part when I was 9 and that was when I shut the movie off. I've always been curious about the rest of it, but after what happened with Fire in the Sky (thought it'd be terrifying because of glimpse as child, watched it many years later, boring as fuck), I'm concerned I've likewise overhyped it in my head and that the movie's going to be a drag.
You and I had a similar experience with The Blob. I saw part of the movie at a relative's house when I was under 10 and it freaked me out too much to ever watch it again.

I say go for it. See it if holds up, or if we just weren't desensitized enough yet.

Last edited:
You and I had a similar experience with The Blob. I saw part of the movie at a relative's house when I was under 10 and it freaked me out too much to every watch it again.

I say go for it. See it if holds up, or if we just weren't desensitized enough yet.
It's funny how that stuff puts a stamp in your brain so that many years later you can still recall it vividly.

It's written by Frank Darabont a year after Nightmare on Elm Street III (my favorite), so I'm hopeful. Then again, it's before he wrote The Fly II. So who knows. I'll give it a go ... between meals :p.

Fire in the Sky (thought it'd be terrifying because of glimpse as child, watched it many years later, boring as fuck)
Holy shit, I thought I was the only one completely terrified by Fire in the Sky. I actually saw it in theater back in the day and had nightmares for weeks after that.

Holy shit, I thought I was the only one completely terrified by Fire in the Sky. I actually saw it in theater back in the day and had nightmares for weeks after that.
Well, you might be the only one if you still feel that way :p. But as a kid, I totally understand.

I walked into the living room on a night my parents rented Fire in the Sky, and wouldn't you know, it was the ONE scene when something was actually happening. My brain had built up that that scene was the whole movie. I made a thread about it here when I was going to finally get the guts to watch it. I was so bored. So bored that when it finally got to the alien torture scene, while I was impressed by the effects, I just couldn't get invested enough to feel a thing.

Those aliens needed to hire whatever's the equivalent of a space cleaning service. Sloppy scientists, leaving garbage everywhere.

He's Jai Courtney, the deluxe version of equally bad and forgettable Sam Worthington.
I really liked Jai Courtney in Spartacus, but for some reason he's been really unimpressive in everything he's been in since. Maybe the problem really is him, and Spartacus was a flash in the pan for him. I still hope he'll come good some day though.

You and I had a similar experience with The Blob. I saw part of the movie at a relative's house when I was under 10 and it freaked me out too much to ever watch it again.

Welp, I watched it, and it was pretty good. I'd definitely put it above-average for 80s horror movies, though expected 80s horror movie tropes are along for the ride. Like, stuff so template that we all just watched Stranger Things run through the material last year :p. But still, pretty good.

I think in my head I got the idea that the movie would be a non-stop gore fest, but in real life there are these things called budgets, and the necessity is to make set pieces for your practical special effects to shine. The Thing has these naturally, whenever someone is discovered to be the alien. The Blob's probably the weakest of the "50s movies remade into 80s movie with excellent practical effects" trio (The Blob, The Fly, The Thing), but still pretty good. The opening credits feels a lot more dire than a lot of the movie does.

As for the gore ... you really can't watch this movie unless you can say "I'm okay with occasionally seeing partly-melted/burnt/digested people," because that's a thing that's going to happen. Done creatively at times, too. It occurred to me earlier in the movie that it'd be a neat idea to have the blob burrow inside a person and eat them from inside-out so that others around don't know what's happened until it's too late, and dammit, the movie went there. I'm sure the filmmakers were having fun coming up with how gruesome they could make some of the deaths--in fact, I'm sure that was the whole point of the movie. Somebody watched original Steve McQueen movie and considered what'd be a more grisly depiction of a giant amoeba. I'm not sure what foam solution they came up with for some of the parts to make the blob shoot out of things--unfortunately, this being a cheap 4-in-1 DVD, I have no special features. But if the movie is a B+, I give the effects an A+.

I can see why even horror fans would be turned off due to one subplot.

In the original, when the government shows up, it's to help. Here we're in full-on late 80s no one trusts the government anymore territory, so there's a Cold War conspiracy and the blob is actually an accidental biproduct of a germ warfare experiment. Oops.

The ending is just such a bizarre turn to take. The friendly neighborhood priest turns apocalyptic as the blob storms town hall, is injured in the attack. Well, he had a tiny piece of frozen blob from earlier in the movie, likely gathered innocently enough to see what it was. The ending shows him preaching the coming judgment day on the road, with intent to release his little blob to become a bigger blog that ends the world once he sees a sign from God.

In any case, Celt Z, if you're still into horror, I'd check it out. Just make sure lil Z isn't anywhere near or the cycle will start all over again :p.

Let's see, browsing Netflix, I'll either rewatch An American Werewolf in London that I haven't seen in 10 years, or The Legend of Hell House, which I've never seen.