[Announcement] Switching Hosts. Again.

Dave

Staff member
FYI: Going to go with NameCheap. We already have an account with them as they are the ones who control our SSL certificates. It'll actually be saving us money and we'll have unlimited bandwidth just in case.

I'm looking at making the move on the 1st - Monday. I want it to be after the first of the month to better align with my paychecks. So there's a good chance we will be down on Monday into Tuesday. I still have to run this past the current host as he's going to assist and I want to make sure he's around.

FYI: Going to go with NameCheap. We already have an account with them as they are the ones who control our SSL certificates. It'll actually be saving us money and we'll have unlimited bandwidth just in case.

I'm looking at making the move on the 1st - Monday. I want it to be after the first of the month to better align with my paychecks. So there's a good chance we will be down on Monday into Tuesday. I still have to run this past the current host as he's going to assist and I want to make sure he's around.
Did you figure out what happened last time that made us lose 3 months? I'm not trying to tease you, I just wanted to make sure we don't lose anything in the big move again.

Did you figure out what happened last time that made us lose 3 months? I'm not trying to tease you, I just wanted to make sure we don't lose anything in the big move again.
That had more to do with Dave deleting things he shouldn't have than a server move.

He knew immediately. He just couldn’t undo it.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Yup. What happened last time was:

We were starting to get close to our storage limit. So I decided to blow away the test version of the boards, essentially cutting our usage in a little less than half. Turns out that when we were testing for the upgrade to XF 2.0 we pointed the database to test, but after we went back to live, we (meaning me) didn't switch the DB back to live and were running on test the entire time. So when I blew the test side away I was actually deleting the live version. And that's also how we found out the the "daily backups" from the host were more like "uh...d'oh?"

So it was me forgetting a crucial step rather than anything else. But the new host has backups so even if I fuck up again we'll be safe.

I think one of the best "rules" in IT is "always make sure to have a backup before making changes."

I'd suggest that you take a good backup of the database and whatever you can for at least the config and have it saved outside of the current host, as a just in case, before the hosting ends. You never know what could happen, especially during a host switch.

Dave

Staff member
To be fair, I thought I did. The host said he did and I had no reason not to believe him.

And I'm going to be shutting down the site and taking a backup on Monday before the transfer. We may be down for 24 hours as the DNS has to point to the new place.

GasBandit

Staff member
Firefox shows green SSL to me, but chrome says not "fully" secure... but once I bypassed the warning once, it never came back.

Dave

Staff member
I’ll probably be getting an email about it. I’ll look at it when I get home Saturday.